Inexpensive Remote Control of Lighting System

DMXpro

Hello,
I have thought a lot lately about setting up a way to control a lighting system wirelessly from a laptop or tablet. I would like to know what the easiest and cheapest way to do this would be. (Please, no replies about the dangers of relying on a wireless system--I understand the risks, and have no intention of running a show this way.) Anyway, my idea would be to connect a console to a computer, and the comp. in turn would be hooked into a wireless router, establishing a network that can be accessed from another device (laptop). Considering the following, would this be possible?
1) The console in question has DMX512 IN (ie, 5 pin male), no Ethernet.
2) Laptop would need software. (kind of like a virtual console; faders, subs, etc.)
3) System is all conventionals; no movers or LEDs.
I am guessing I would need a female DMX-512 to usb adapter. Could my idea work? How? If not, how should I go about setting something like this up?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you have a specific make/model of console that you would like to control remotely in mind?

Do you want to control a console, or do you want a standalone system?

I'd like to control a console. The one I had in mind was an NSI MC 24/48, but I guess any other console with a DMX512 In would work.

Last edited:
... 1) The console in question has DMX512 OUT (ie, 5 pin male), no Ethernet. ...
DMX OUT is a female 5-pin XLR, not a male.

So you'll need a way to merge two DMX sources into one (something like Doug Fleenor Design - 221-621 Enhanced Merger ). OR, if the console has DMX IN, that could work also. But in either case, the non-console device isn't controlling the console, it's generating its own DMX. If the console doesn't have an Ethernet connection, it's not designed to be on a network, therefore; your remote options are highly limited. If the console is MIDI-capable, perhaps this thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...c-express-computer-via-midi-show-control.html is a possibility.

It sounds like you might want to try using ArtNet. As mentioend, the specifics of how you want to configure your console and dimmer depend on make/model details, but just as an example (and using our BlueLite software), I can output DMX information from one PC using a wireless network and receive it as DMX Input on remote computers connected to the same network.
While I'm familiar with the BlueLite software/hardware, there are other ArtNet offerings availble that offer different functions and capabilities. I've downloaded ArtNet apps for iOS that allow me to send DMX controls using WiFi and my iPhone, one called RigTool from LightLogic (they offer a more powerful app as well), that I can use as a simple testing and connection control.
If you'd care to contact me directly, I could walk you through how to use our gear to accomplish your scenerio (very do-able, but I don't want to use this forum as an advertisement) and I may even be able to suggest a couple alternatives, to keep the budget down, once I have a better understanding of your specific needs.

Hello,
I have thought a lot lately about setting up a way to control a lighting system wirelessly from a laptop or tablet. I would like to know what the easiest and cheapest way to do this would be. (Please, no replies about the dangers of relying on a wireless system--I understand the risks, and have no intention of running a show this way.) Anyway, my idea would be to connect a console to a computer, and the comp. in turn would be hooked into a wireless router, establishing a network that can be accessed from another device (laptop). Considering the following, would this be possible?
1) The console in question has DMX512 IN (ie, 5 pin male), no Ethernet.
2) Laptop would need software. (kind of like a virtual console; faders, subs, etc.)
3) System is all conventionals; no movers or LEDs.
I am guessing I would need a female DMX-512 to usb adapter. Could my idea work? How? If not, how should I go about setting something like this up?
Thanks.

I have used a MagicQ dongle (~100$) my mac-book-pro and some free VPN (which is really just a remote mouse control) on my ipad.
I just disconnect my old fader console and connect the laptop console in its place! Why do you want to keep that NSI plugged in???

Gord.

The NSI should be midi-capable. The instructions for midi control are in chapter 14 of the manual (at least in the version that says Innovator across the front). If you don't have it, you can get it here. This is probably closer to what you'd like to do than trying to run the thing through DMX.

I've done some quick web searching and while I'll still recommend our BlueLite X1 products, I've also seen Enttec offers their ODE unit (Open DMX Ethernet) that is compatable with ArtNet (there are probably others, but they seem few and far between).
You can also do a search on iTunes to look for "ArtNet" apps that will let you control using your iPhone/iPad. They range from free or $0.99 type of apps to apps costing over $100. I'm sure the 'capabilities' are reflected in their prices. I'll be happy to help out as much as I can, but I'm not as familiar with them as I am with our gear. That said, I still love to "talk shop" even when I'm not selling our products (the "normals" in the world don't speak "techie" so I get lonely) so I'll do my best to answer any question you may have.
If you want to use MIDI equipment as your controller (we can also use MIDI as control signals, but I'll admit it's not our main focus) , we have a white paper pointing out the pluses and minus' of using MIDI as a lighting control.

I have used a MagicQ dongle (~100$) my mac-book-pro and some free VPN (which is really just a remote mouse control) on my ipad.
I just disconnect my old fader console and connect the laptop console in its place! Why do you want to keep that NSI plugged in???

Gord.
That's kind of what I'm trying to do. (And I wouldn't have to keep the NSI connected; it could just serve as a passthrough for the DMX line so I wouldn't have to keep reconnecting cables when I just wanted to use the console by itself. ) However, is there anyway to do what you've said but wirelessly? Could you set up another computer on a network and then tap into it with the mac pro?

Last edited:
The NSI should be midi-capable. The instructions for midi control are in chapter 14 of the manual (at least in the version that says Innovator across the front). If you don't have it, you can get it here. This is probably closer to what you'd like to do than trying to run the thing through DMX.

It is MIDI compatible, and I have read the manual. I've tried to get it to work, but I don't have a ton of experience with MIDI. (This may sound stupid, but I connected a Yamaha keyboard and played with the settings.)

That's kind of what I'm trying to do. (And I wouldn't to keep the NSI connected; it could just serve as a passthrough for the DMX line so I would have to keep reconnecting cables when i just wanted to use the console by itself. ) However, is there anyway to do what you've said but wirelessly? Could you set up another computer on a network and then tap into it with the mac pro?

yes!
1. buy the Chamsys MagicQ dongle, (btw I don't work for them)
2. install their software and dongle on your mac/pc/linux -- now you have a real lighting console.
3. set you computer wifi to infrastructure -- makes it's own wifi network
4. allow VPN in to that computer (macs come with a VPN server built in i don't know about the others)
5. connect to the mac with your IPAD...may be another computer I haven't tried
6. now you have wireless control...

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing, how can I get the MagicQ + software for as cheap as possible? (If the dongle is just USB to DMX512, I could build it myself. I suspect it's not that easy, though.... :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
The MagicQ software is a free, with registration, download.

As for dongles, two (three/four) options:
1. Either a MagicDMX Basic (16 USD) or MagicDMX Full (100 USD).
2. Enttec Open USB DMX (not recommended, limited to PC only) (63 USD) or DMX USB Pro (159 USD).

Other dongles may certainly work, but the above are the most approved/recommended. You might also want to investigate the ChamSys MagicQ Support forum.
Do the dongles have integrated software, and that's why they're kinda expensive?
Anyway, If I have the dongle/software/control program, I could just set up a wireless connection on "computer 1", and an Ad-Hoc connection between it and "computer 2" to have control.

Do the dongles have integrated software, and that's why they're kinda expensive?
Anyway, If I have the dongle/software/control program, I could just set up a wireless connection on "computer 1", and an Ad-Hoc connection between it and "computer 2" to have control.

Wow,
I guess we have a different opinion on "Expensive" :mrgreen:
MagicQ is by far one of the cheapest software product you are likely to find.
To compare, The Hog 3 widget used to retail for <$1200 each. A Ma NSP was more than that. And a Single universe Artnet node is likely to cost at least $400.
The MagicQ stuff is very reasonably priced, especially for our limited market.

I would think a remote desktop type of solution would be your best bet, Or if MagicQ supports Networking (Not sure, I am a Hog guy) you could network the 2 computers together, and use one to control the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back