Inspiring

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
The new semester started monday. I'm taking lighting design this semester, so of course I'm happy. We had our first class today. Well, my prof. discussing how he got into lighting design, and a little bit about his own personal philosophy. He said that when he was an electrician, first starting out, one of the first inspiring things he heard was from Broadway designer Clark Dunham. Dunham said that the most he ever learned about lighting came not from books, but from listening to old lighting guys "arguing about lighting in smoke filled rooms". Of course, I immediately thought of the Booth. My prof. went on to say he hoped our class could continue this discussion on lighting. I think I'm going to like this class. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
"The smoke filled pages of CB. When all the ol' guys kickback, -- hey, what's that smell? Must be one of those punks on tour with their 'green' cigarettes!"

Oh speaking of smoking, I think I mentioned this before, but I think it's funny that when there is a smoke break, I'm one of two people left in the theatre. The Master Carp said to me "this is the only place where I feel left out because I don't smoke".

I suppose only in regional theatre can you be sitting in the greenroom eating lunch, when suddenly an ASM bursts into the room, running straight to a drawer, rifles through, and exclaims "WHAT KIND OF KITCHEN DOESN'T HAVE MATCHES?! I QUIT!" (I don't know why she said "I quit", she wasn't leaving her job, maybe she was quitting her search?)

The new semester started monday. I'm taking lighting design this semester...
Well, let's hope you learn something. ;)

"Bring the blue bunchlights to ten, the olivettes to five, and Gus, can you hit Baby June with a surprise pink spot when she does her number?"

Or how about: HogEye: "Let's get a look at you, Miss Desmond!"

Just to mess with your professor, specify only Apollo Gel and Kliegl and Major lanterns in all your designs.

Actually, funny story about that. We hosted ACTF this year, (alot of fun, actually, deserves its own thread), and Hope College used our space. During load in I was talking to their master electrician when he had a down moment. He said that his college is primarily Rosco and Lee, but he's that designer always bringing in GAM. I just laughed and said, "yup, I'm going to be the one bringing in Apollo around here." And yes, I fully intend to use our Fresnels and 360Q's in my designs!

This didn't fit in anywhere else:

So the LD at the show... I question his electrical knowledge. Xmas lights came up today. For some reason the theatre doesn't own batteries...? So I lent out my three 123A batteries, straight from my 9P.

The LD was saying "look at this, I think we need to bump it up to 9V power supply." (He was holding 4 lamps from an xmas strand in PARALLEL to 6Vs of battery power. The things were glowing a high color temp white. I've only seen those lights with the traditional "Amber low power" look, but this was close to LED in temp. (Mind you I was Just off stage and he was back of house.) He went on to say "yes, there are 50 of these to a series, so these are 9V lamps"...?!?!?!?!

9V x 50 lamps = 450V

2.4V x 50 lamps = 120V (Much more likely)

Right? Am I wrong? What was he thinking?!

Greenia, string light expert, help me out here!

I'm thinking maybe I'll suggest something tomorrow, before this thing gets finalized. Maybe on the order of: "Why did we just ruin a perfectly good xmas light string when we are making a non-flicker lantern?" ****, I could have gone to radio-shack and got a low voltage lamp and base.

Edit:
Also today: I found out you can get some awkward looks on the subway when wearing a tape measure, surefire, gerber, work boots, covered head-to-toe in sawdust carrying 100ft of VGA and... binoculars.

Last edited:
Sounds as though someone needs to review his understanding of parallel vs. series circuits. Backstage Handbook, page 167.

Mini's are most commonly 2.5v per lamp, although 3.5v are not uncommon. 4 lamps @ 2.5 volts lamp = 10v.

Charc, I now know that you were locked in a closet in Guantanamo Bay for being a suspected terrorist. I can see the paper headlines now "Young theatre students arrested today.......".

And Derek, have you ever used Bunch lights? You're not THAT old........right? I mean I just saw some authentic old open-trough strips used for pin rail lighting at the Milwaukee Pabst Theatre, but man, bunch lights?

Mini's are most commonly 2.5v per lamp, although 3.5v are not uncommon.
Charc, I now know that you were locked in a closet in Guantanamo Bay for being a suspected terrorist. I can see the paper headlines now "Young theatre students arrested today.......".
And Derek, have you ever used Bunch lights? You're not THAT old........right? I mean I just saw some authentic old open-trough strips used for pin rail lighting at the Milwaukee Pabst Theatre, but man, bunch lights?
... why was I arrested...? The binoculars? :rolleyes:

Patriot Act. Multi tools, binoculars.....anything to make someone on the neighborhood watch suspicious. Please tell me weren't in all black too.

Ha, no. I only wear black to shows... occasionally. :oops:

(Oy, Derek, do you have to wear blacks?)

...And Derek, have you ever used Bunch lights? You're not THAT old........right? ...
No, I'm not that old. But I have used bunchlights, olivettes, and PC spots. I found a book you should be interested in, but it's out of print. Here's a quote, almost as valid today, as it was when written in 1918.

Bunch, spot, olivette, flood, bracket and similar
special lights and effects are usually worked
from stage-pockets and plugging-boxes. Hence,
there should be, at each entrance, right and left
of the stage, and at the rear center, a four-
section stage-pocket, three of the sections being
wired for the incandescent circuit, and one for
the direct, or arc-light, circuit. These should
be connected to work through the dimmers.
One double-arc pocket should be placed at each
side of the proscenium bridge, and there should
be two to four arc pockets and plugs for both
sides of the fly floor. It is much better to provide
sufficient outlets at the time of construction
than to have to resort later to make-shifts
in order to secure the lighting effects, which
spectacular acts are likely to require. Further,
it is well always to contemplate that the time
may come when it will be desired to change the
policy of the house, and to provide for COMPLETE
equipment when building.

Some things will NEVER change.

Ok, tell us more about bunch lights. I did a quick google search and didn't find much. What were they? How were they used?

Back in the 1920s-40s, high wattage (>250W) were uncommon and difficult to manufacture. Thus a metal enclosure with multiple medium screwbases designed for 60-100W A-lamps. The ones I used had 5 bases per fixture, but I understand some were wired for multiple circuits to allow color mixing, usually RWB. Not very efficient or effective.

And for those who missed it the quote was from ...

My everloving partner once played Mazeppa.

"You gotta have a gimmick"

GYPSY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back