Installation of a Telex PS-2001L

Luke Hart

Hey Gang! I am piecing back together a ravaged auditorium and it has roughly 10-15 Telex wall mount male XLR jacks. However, I couldn't find the power supply to power/activate all of the jacks. After months of searching the campus I have found a Telex PS-2001L power supply. The problem now.. There are 2 male XLR jacks on the back of the power supply. How to I get the system running? I think I have all the components but can't figure out how to install the power supply. PLEASE HELP!

***Should I get a female to female XLR and plug the power supply directly into a male XLR wall jack?

Hey Gang! I am piecing back together a ravaged auditorium and it has roughly 10-15 Telex wall mount male XLR jacks. However, I couldn't find the power supply to power/activate all of the jacks. After months of searching the campus I have found a Telex PS-2001L power supply. The problem now.. There are 2 male XLR jacks on the back of the power supply. How to I get the system running? I think I have all the components but can't figure out how to install the power supply. PLEASE HELP!

***Should I get a female to female XLR and plug the power supply directly into a male XLR wall jack?
@Luke Hart BEFORE you connect your power supply, consider taking a VOM, or even a simple continuity test light, and confirm there are no shorts between any conductors and no shorts to ground. If the contact connected to the shield is grounded I'd go with it, as long as it's grounded at only point, (Normally the shield would only be grounded at the power supply.) you want to avoid ground loops and the additional system noise they often contribute.
My concerns are:
a; You have neither found the power supply nor where it was originally connected.
b; Wherever the power supply was originally, the wiring conductors formerly connected to it may not be insulated from one another or from ground.
c; Anywhere throughout the installation conductors could be damaged, shorted to one another, and / or to ground.
d; Check all of the wiring for integrity and freedom from shorts BEFORE possibly damaging your newly found power supply.
@FMEng @Ancient Engineer @MNicolai @TimMc Have you any thoughts to contribute to @Luke Hart
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yes, all of those concerns above, plus...

Methinks the 2001 is a dual channel supply with a "link" switch or something...

It is designed to power two independent systems and can link them into one big system.

If it were me going into this cold... I'd pull the panels and see if the wiring is numbered in any kind of fashion.

I'd make rudimentary drawing so that logical decisions could be made...

If nothing is labeled (likely) then I'd fox and hound it once I was reasonably assured that all panels were disconnected from external gear.

Insert rudimentary drawing here and make informed decisions.

You might also want to dig up a toner and tracer/buttset, and tone a pair and see if it comes out all the other places -- in short, treat it like the telephone wiring it is.
@Jay Ashworth Do you mean like @Ancient Engineer suggested in his immediately previous post when he posted: "If nothing is labeled (likely) then I'd fox and hound it once I was reasonably assured that all panels were disconnected from external gear."
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Luke Hart How're you doing with this? Can we have an update on your progress??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back