Intellabeam Dowser Motor

soundlight

So we are rigging the lighting for our fall dance concert in two weeks. One of our intellabeams (we have 6 total) has a bad dowser motor. I don't care about this when I'm just doing light shows, because everything pops, but for dance, the dowser is all but necessary.

So let me get to the question: is there anywhere that I can get a new or used but working well intellabeam dowser motor? I know that people are scrapping these fixtures these days, but they're not gonna take 'em apart to get the small sum that they'd get for the parts. Short of that, does anybody know of anyone who is scrapping intellabeams that I can contact for a dowser motor in the next week or two?

(I care alot more this year that last year, because I'm designing two of the pieces in the concert this year!)

Are you sure it's the motor? I say this because most every mover I know of uses 2 phase stepper motors. The bigger problem is the drive chip. The usual symptom of a drive chip failure is that the motor kind of vibrates or quivers instead of rotating. If several of the motors are the same, you may be able to swap connectors and although things won't function correctly, you'll get an idea as to if the problem moves with the connector (chip) or stays with the motor. Just a thought.

I haven't diagnosed the fixture, but the TD has, and our electronics guru who graduated last year also diagnosed it as the motor.

Nope, Motor 14 in that view - but same Part Number. We're willing to pay a little over a hundred bux plus shipping to get the fixture working again, as it's not easy for us to get money to purchase new moving lights.

Thanks! I'll also be posting pics of my designs to the show pics thread...I can't wait. We'll have all 6 intellabeams running, and we're renting 4 VL-3000's. I'm master electrician as well as designer for two peices. Should be fun...but the dance department owns my life for the month of november with a huge rig and two shows with ME and LD duties in each. Or maybe duites is the wrong word for them - more like privilages - I'm just a sophomore and I'm ME for the biggest show (electrically) of the year, and I'm already designing for the University's dance company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back