Intelligent Lighting in High School

Does your school OWN intels?

• Total voters

The_Guest

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Intels, they're beautiful. But, expensive. I'm just curious to see how many of your schools actually OWN (not rent/borrow. But district sharing counts) intels? If so how many? And list the models and what you're using to control them.

we're hoping to rent then buy 2 roboscans this spring.

When I'm asleep my school owns millions of intel's, all perfectly maintained, and we have a grandMA board to control them all.

When I wake up I need to fix 2 of the 36 dimmers...

we have none,but if anyone would like to give me several thousand dollars i could deal with that!

Peter said:
My school + $$ = NO :-(

we have considered hanging a freshman from the bar (read: swinging wide open bar 2 stories above the audence, no catwalk) and having him/her move the lights during the show, although osha wouldnt like that!

Good point. I would like to revise my answer to:

Yes, we have two moving lights, thought they are not intelligent. They are operated by me yelling over to the op and telling them what to do. Hence the not intelligent part.

My school has two Intellabeams. They were so cool and shiny and new when we got them just two years ago but they quickly started glitching out... and they blow fuses more often than it seems they should (I've changed them before, it's not hard, but the school board REALLY doesn't want student techs doing that). All in all, we use them far less than we should given what we paid - they weren't worth the money.

(Is crossing fingers that the rumors of new fixtures on order are true).

autophage said:
My school has two Intellabeams. They were so cool and shiny and new when we got them just two years ago but they quickly started glitching out... and they blow fuses more often than it seems they should (I've changed them before, it's not hard, but the school board REALLY doesn't want student techs doing that). All in all, we use them far less than we should given what we paid - they weren't worth the money.

(Is crossing fingers that the rumors of new fixtures on order are true).

I could probably take them off your hands. For $... wait no I'm broke... um zero dollars. Yup. But only 'cause I like ya.

auto- School boards never like students doing anything...even when they are better at it and have more experience then thier assigned faculty member....

JP12687 said:
auto- School boards never like students doing anything...even when they are better at it and have more experience then thier assigned faculty member....

From my experiences you'd be suprised. Last year I created a proposal to the district's educational foundation and got $5,000 out of it. This is was after several months or research and pricing. It's a all matter of being professional. You can't appear like a student wanting gadgets to play with. You have to have the whole thing figured out: storage, training, benifits, money, maintaining, and most importantly applacations. Districts prefer to fund things that will make a noticiable difference. Particularly major improvements. A good reason why districts often decline student funding requests because it's just simply not organized. So what if you get approved for a batch of mac2ks. How will they get used, are they even compatable with your existing system. Will they continue to get used after you graduate. Educational funding is entirely about long term funding. No school board wants to grant money (which mind you is tax money) and grant money once more because you made a mistake. This type of funding must be secure and efficient. These sort of things are incredibly audited, if there is a single hole you could receive nothing. A final tip, it does help to get staff/faculity to assist or endorse your efforts. And most likely your TD will. Of course they like getting money for new equipment why shouldn't they. If you want it bad, you gotta push for it.

I just found out that for a arts fundraiser up in a large old textile mill we will be using a ton of intelligent lights. I'm not designing it, but I'm on the tech committee (only student on a committee for the gala) and the design is to use 70 pin spots and several intelligent lights, and by that I mean that besides the pin spots, there will only be one conventional light (one source 4 with one of those colored glass color stroller things in it).

Don't know what board is going to run it, because the Express 125 the school has won't run it all. The designer is bringing a light board in for that. I can't wait!!!!

There not the schools movers, but, hey, movers are movers.

I'll be sure to take lots of photos of the gala and post them up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back