Intelligent lights/controllers

w3st0n21

hey guys, i have a couple of questions.
we are really wanting to rent 2 intelligent lights for our spring show. our budget is around 1000$$ so i need to ask a couple of spec questions. 1.) is 250watts bright enough? and is a 14-16 degree lens wide enough for a light that is hanging over stage (stage is 40ft by ~30ft)? and for the controller question. because of our restricted budget we are planning on running our show off of computer software. i would like to run it off of the GrandMA onPC because I am familiar with that console. so is that possible? do I have to use the MA 2port nodes? or can I use a different ethernet to DMX converter?

thank you soooo very much

The output from a 250 watt lamp has increased (actually, the optics have improved a lot) in the past 10 years. Will it be enough depends on what else is going on and the throw they need. If power is an issue some of the newer 575 watt fixtures can be run on 110v so you might look at those instead.

As for the GM onPC, I'll bet it's like a lot of the other big name pc controllers, it requires it's own brand of hardware to work. My guess is that someone has one to rent, however.

With GrandMA software, I believe you can output artnet but you have to have the OnPC dongle to make it work. I could be wrong on that one though. I do know you will have to invest in some piece of gear.

If you want to go another route, Chamsys MagicQ PC version is free software and will work with the Enntec open DMX interfaces. It will also output artnet and shownet if you have any of those nodes laying around.

As far as the 250w thing, a 250 watt fixture is still very bright, but I have to ask first what you are looking to do with it. 2 Mac250's are not all that useful. Let us know what you want the movers to do for your design, and we will guide you on what you should be looking for.

They will be hanging over stage for backlight/color/gobo effects. And that's what I thought was the case for the GM onpc. Now do you know if the enntec will work with etc ion software or do I still have to do some searching?

No, it will not. ETC, Strand, GrandMA, High End, and Jands all lock down their software to their hardware. I don't even think it is possible to buy just the dongles for Ion console. If you are on a budget and need a controller, take a look at the MagicQ PC console.

Not really - it's designed more for DJs and small bands, not a theatrical situation. Chamsys MagicQ PC is the way to go, with an Enttec interface.

Well alright then. Thanks a lot guys. Oh and we are going to need 110v for our intelligents, we don't have anything else. So I guess I'll have to go with the 250 watts. But I guess for our first show with movers it will be okay. Again thanks a lot

Call your rental house and see what they got. I would ask for a fixture with CMY and some type of zoom if you could. Elation has out a few lower end fixtures with both of these requirements. Static colors are pretty useless for theatre use. Before you totally spec the light to the house, see what they can do for you first.

hey guys, i have a couple of questions.
we are really wanting to rent 2 intelligent lights for our spring show. our budget is around 1000$$ so i need to ask a couple of spec questions. 1.) is 250watts bright enough? and is a 14-16 degree lens wide enough for a light that is hanging over stage (stage is 40ft by ~30ft)? and for the controller question. because of our restricted budget we are planning on running our show off of computer software. i would like to run it off of the GrandMA onPC because I am familiar with that console. so is that possible? do I have to use the MA 2port nodes? or can I use a different ethernet to DMX converter?

thank you soooo very much

1. It depends on how high above the stage you hang it. Same goes for coverage...depends on how high. Also these two will directly affect each other.

2. Yes you need the MA 2-port node to use the MA software.

yeah i will. i still have to get quotes from a couple other people. i really hate how the county operates. they idea of 14degree lenses on stage doesnt really appeal to me

How bright the 250 watt movers appear will also be dependent on the power of the other lamps you are lighting the stage with, how many there are, and what are they dimmed to. If you have a slew of S4's blasting frontlight at full, you will not notice the 250 watt mover. In fact I did a show with a bunch of Mac 250+'s and they got completely washed out against 360Q's (750w) which were dimmed way down. Granted the rental 250+ optics are quite awful, it still provides a comparison. To be safe I'd get something in the 575w range. Mac 500/600's with the electronic (read auto sensing) ballast can run on 120v.

Just so you know, there are movers in the 575-1200W range that will run off of 120. Anything that has a magnetic ballast will not unless its a 250, in which they all pretty much have a magnetic ballast. But a Martin mac 500E (electronic power supply) will run off of 120V, or the highend studio spot will, along with the studio color "S", the x-spot is a 700W fixture unless it has been upgraded to xtreme then it runs at 850W, and it wil run off of 120V. Where are you located at, we can probably point you to a good local rental house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back