Intercom desperately needed

There should be should be somewhere, probably in your booth where there's some audio stuff. Microphones don't just auto adjust.
Microphones don't but the systems certainly can. I've done a number of large (24 to 100+ input) audio systems with only a master volume control, between AGCs and automixing you can make a 'hands off' system for many applications where the system does handle the adjustments automatically. Most of these systems were boardroom and conferencing applications and you wouldn't typically want to use this approach for theatrical applications, but it may turn out to be what was installed in this particular case.

Just a suggestion, but before you go making modifications or adding anything to the existing system, you might want to invest some time in determining and documenting what you do have including what equipment is in place and how it is wired. I have a feeling there is some other equipment involved that you haven't noted, like maybe some amplifiers and stuff like that. Knowing what you have and how it is all connected can assist greatly in operating the system effectively now as well as in planning for any potential changes or improvements.

Finally! Some pictures!

First is our stage (sorry about it not being lit) from about half way between it and the doors.

Second is the front of our audio console back stage. Not much, so we rarely use it. The back of it is a tangled confusion of wires and cables. not pictured are the VCR and DVD player that are not hooked up (stacked above the console) and the video inputs for the projector (mounted below)

Third is the XLR panel at the back of the house (all inputs, some believed to be not connected). Next to it is the panel that controls the house lights. Below it is the DMX input (5 pin) for the stage lights.

Fourth is the seating area from as far stage left as I could go. As I've said before, there's no control booth.

Hope these help. I have a few additional pictures, but unnecessary to post. If you want to look at them, I'll PM them to you.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 227
Second is the front of our audio console back stage. Not much, so we rarely use it. The back of it is a tangled confusion of wires and cables. not pictured are the VCR and DVD player that are not hooked up (stacked above the console) and the video inputs for the projector (mounted below)
Third is the XLR panel at the back of the house (all inputs, some believed to be not connected). Next to it is the panel that controls the house lights. Below it is the DMX input (5 pin) for the stage lights.
Fourth is the seating area from as far stage left as I could go. As I've said before, there's no control booth.
Hope these help. I have a few additional pictures, but unnecessary to post. If you want to look at them, I'll PM them to you.

Are there additional XLR panels? Do their numbers match the one panel you showed us, or each other? Is there a basement or attic that you can get into? Is there an AV department in your school that can help you?

--Sean

Third is the XLR panel at the back of the house (all inputs, some believed to be not connected).
That is a total hack job.
A 20 channel snake with only 2 channels hooked up.
You could be mixing(albeit side stage) for under a grand.
To fix it correctly with a proper auto mixing system might run twice that.
Apparently the architect was on crack also, cement block walls and a straight balcony.

Are there additional XLR panels? Do their numbers match the one panel you showed us, or each other? Is there a basement or attic that you can get into? Is there an AV department in your school that can help you?

--Sean
Answer to all: no.

That is a total hack job.
A 20 channel snake with only 2 channels hooked up.
You could be mixing(albeit side stage) for under a grand.
To fix it correctly with a proper auto mixing system might run twice that.
Apparently the architect was on crack also, cement block walls and a straight balcony.
1. I've never tried all the inputs on the panel to see which ones actually work, nor do I have the desire to. No matter what I find, there's nothing I can do about it.

2. my school can't afford pencils and paper. On top of that, any Arts programs (Drama club, Marching Band, etc.) are on the bottom of the priority list.

3. Only thing we can do about walls and balcony are remodel. See #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back