Intercom System

krhodus

We currently have a ~20 year old Telex Intercom system. It is composed of a Telex IC-3M basestation, IC-1 basepacks, and standard headsets. The basestation connects to a drop on the wall via DMX/5Pin XLR. This is then split up into literally a hundred drops all around the theater (all DMX). The basepacks just all plug in. Our problem is the basepacks and headsets are dying quickly. Are there any current intercom systems that we can hook into this system. The basepacks have the option to switch between 2 lines but the two lines are combined somehow (so you can be on Line 1 and hear and talk to people on line 2).

Thanks,
Kevin

First of all your intercom system im 99 percent sure isnt run off of dmx 5pin (dmx is a protocol, its just a 5 pin xlr). Second can you clarify what your after, you say that your belt backs and crap are dying. (Please be more specific) This problem could be a wide range of things from low voltage to too many beltbacks loading the psu down. Telex is good stuff so don't lose faith I mean crap look at the ADAM and ZEUS systems there frickin badass. Umm, as far as the system you have you said you get two channels on one beltpack, thats pretty common these days but older technology since its on a five wire system persay. The new stuff is TW=twowire or two channels on a regular ol xlr. As far as trying to adapt it to a new system you could either use the existing lines and try to find a system that runs off of five wire, or you could just use two of the 5 wires (well, plus grd obviously) and achieve the same thing just change all ur base plate jacks to 3 pin xlrs. If this doesnt answer just let me know man i love rts. Oh and check out the tech guide to comm systems on telex's website its very informative.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like both "lines" are on one cable. You might able to wire these 2 lines to 2 3 pin XLR jacks and plug in a standard clearcom pack.

And FYI. DMX is not a connector type. DMX is a type of data. DMX is commonly found on 5 pin XLR, but that does not mean it is a DMX signal.

We also had this gear in my high school, and I found it to be far more durable than the newer Clear-com and RTS intercom gear. Those metal beltpacks are nearly indestructible. The way I remember this system working is that it carried two channels of intercom on a 6-pin XLR cable (check the number of pins, several times I grabbed a 5-pin DMX cable from the light booth when I wanted a 6-pin intercom cable.) I always found those connectors nearly impossible for me to solder, but I'm not a great solderer to begin with and with 6-pins it gets kind of tight.

As far as the headsets go, the Telex PH-1 is identical to the standard single muff headsets supplied originally with these systems (I had to order a new headset at one point and it was absolutely identical to the originals, but in better condition.) The fact that they're the same is probably a bad thing, because the headsets were rediculously uncomfortable for anything more than a half hour or so (unlike my absolute favorite Beyerdynamic headsets which are like a pillow.) The actual headset packs can probably be found used or sent back to Telex for repair. They are also very easy to take apart, so if you feel comfortable with electronics, the block diagrams came with the original componenets.

I would encourage you to stick with the Telex system unless you are willing to convert all the wiring in the theatre to three pin connectors. I believe that in theory this would mean picking up three of the six conductors and wiring them like a regular 3-pin XLR. In practice, this would probably be highly unpleasant, as you would have to be realy careful picking the correct conductors out of the six in the wall on all the connectors. You would also be converting it into a single channel system. I would just advise sticking with the Telex, because it is good gear and perfect for an environment that's rough on its gear (like high schools and community theatres) because of its extreme durability. Also, remember that Clear-Com is an unbalanced system and the generation of Telex intercom that you're talking about is a balanced intercom system, so they won't play together.

That's my two cents and advice.

All the best,
PAtech

It is 5 pin, not 6. Does telex/anyone make new basepacks that will work with this system? We need to find basepacks to interface with this due to totally dead basepacks (no audio at all), basepacks that are cutting in and out, and not having enough basepacks. The headset part we can just go out and get any standard headset, I believe (we have I believe PR-88's).

Kevin

krhodus said:
It is 5 pin, not 6. Does telex/anyone make new basepacks that will work with this system? We need to find basepacks to interface with this due to totally dead basepacks (no audio at all), basepacks that are cutting in and out, and not having enough basepacks. The headset part we can just go out and get any standard headset, I believe (we have I believe PR-88's).

Kevin

Have you considered calling a local Telex reseller (you can likely locate these on Telex's site) for advice? They will be happy to help you and offer recommendations, pricing, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back