Intercom wish list

Aaronf8

Hi everyone. I am coming to you today to ask you what your dream intercom/headset system would look like. I am forming a new company to produce very reasonably priced intercom systems and would love to incorporate items from everyone wishlist in the final product. If you wouldn't mind please just leave me a list of what you would love to see in a new intercom system. Here is a little information about the current design of the system.
  • Option for centralized or decentralized system
  • Ability to use ANY headset on the market
  • PTT, Voice activation, constant transmit
  • Ability to plug in a backup battery without having to go offline
  • Up to 255 headsets per system
  • Micro-USB charging
  • The ability to use any computer as a intercom(provided it has required equipment(No more then $20))
  • Ability to switch between different groups
  • The ability to extend the range of communication for miles
And in my opinion the most important of all a price tag under $200 !

Thank you so much for your time, if you would like to be notified about future updates to this project please send me a PM containing your email address.

Aaron F

Sounds a lot like what I am using... IP phones. I already had a phone backstage and the booth, and only had to purchase a few off brand wireless. The whole system is infinitely (hypothetically) expandable, but isn't for everyone.

What I would change:
Phones would never stand up to industry. They would need an Otterbox style shell. The standard headset is a safety hazard because the long straight cords get wrapped around everything including limbs. They need to be tightly bundled, and routed through clothing to keep them safe.

Having a phone in the hands of every headset wearer is beneficial in a school also. Call the nurse, the assistant principal or me directly via our phone numbers.

I am looking forward to see what you come up with. Something like that has been needed as an option for some time now.

That sounds fairly lofty of a goal.

How would you ensure EVERY headset on the market works? 90% of the headsets used in theatres are a standardized 4-pin pinout. Are you trying to get EVERY headset with a microphone to be compatible? Would someone be able to plug in their gaming headset? Would aviators be able to plug in their 2x TS headsets into the system?

What do you mean my centralized vs decentralized? Would Centralized be like the current ClearCom offering with a multi-channel base station and a system revolving around that and decentralized mean point-to-point communication?

Could you go in to more detail about this backup battery? Are you implying something like a wireless com, as no ClearCom or Telex wired product needs a battery. Why is this a feature people need? I've never had a properly cared for Telex RadioCom battery die on me during a show -- only improper charge cycling has ever resulted in dead batteries. And even when it has died, going "offline" hasn't been an issue as it's only like 8 seconds of downtime until I can slide a new battery sled into the thing.

How did you come to the 255 headset number? That's an insanely high number of headsets. Is this per-channel or for the system as a whole?

What exactly is micro-USB charging? Who is this feature helping?

I'm assuming your group switching is just channel switching - which is standard fare for a com system. Would each user have a limited or predefined amount of channels like in all current products on the market?

With the ability to use a computer and extend your system for "miles" how do you intend to compensate for system latency? There is a reason Broadway are still on analog wireless coms - the latency of digital solutions isn't suitable for live performances yet. Why would I need a Com system that can transmit for "miles" when my theatre is only so large?

This $200 price tag, what does it get me? Will it get me a base station? Will it get me a base station, and two headsets and two beltpacks? Even the cheapest headsets alone come in at around $150, so I'd love to hear your plans on keeping costs down and how you plan on doing it.

All-in-all I'd love more info on the project, but I feel it is super ambitious. For $200 I can get a handful of mediocre PTT radios and call it a day.

Are we talking true wish list? Because what I want is nearly impossible to get short of several thousands of dollars per beltpack. But that being said, no more than 3ms delay through the entire system mic to speaker, full bandwidth audio, >100dB dynamic range.

To add to the already expressed reservations, though a device or devices may cost a certain amount, that's nothing to the cost of installing a system, especially when that system means adding wire or conduits to a building. The places that need cheap intercom solutions tend to be the ones that never had intercom in the first place, so any wired solution means conduit and wire need to be factored in. I wouldn't be at all surprised if adding an intercom system to a room or building after-the-fact had more expenses in conduit and wire than system components.

I'm interested to see what you come up with, but if scalable, reliable systems could be built as easily as you make it sound, Clearcom and Telex would already be offering products in that price range and PI wouldn't have declared bankruptcy last year.

I'm all for inexpensive, elegant solutions, but as an AV consultant, I'm skeptical how many compromises need to be made to hit that price point. And a solution using people's cell phones or cheap two-way radios or something silly like that is not a system I'd consider elegant enough to sell to a client or to specify on a project.

The best way to describe my gut reaction to your ambitious effort is cautious skepticism. To that end, if you were far enough along in development that you could make even a few of those claims, you'd be applying for patents or selling your ideas to a larger company -- not posting about the subject here. Even if you did find a way to make a product that cheap, you need employees and places to build things, software/hardware development, and insurance and a quality control process. Hardware is least expensive part of the production and development process.

T'were I you, I'd be very careful about raising expectations for a product capable of the features you've listed at the price point you've listed it at.

This smells of an IP based system. What the world needs now is NOT an IP based intercom. IP means latency and the crappy, less intelligible audio from low bitrate codecs. Imagine sitting next to someone in a booth talking on comm and hear them half a second or so later coming out of your headset. It has the potential to be very irritating if not useless. If I want a comm with all of the faults of a cell phone, I will use a cell phone.

Last I checked, there were some IP based comms systems that were worth talking about.
But not at anything close to $200 an end point...

though a device or devices may cost a certain amount, that's nothing to the cost of installing a system, especially when that system means adding wire or conduits to a building.

Agreed completely. Conduit's not cheap, especially in theatres as it generally means time working in the air for EC's, and fairly long conduit runs.

Also, a theatre show can go on with mic feedback, lamps blowing mid-show, or a loudspeaker exploding. But the intercom system just has to work. Personally, I think that's the most critical system in any theatre, and I'd recommend reliability over new features any day of the week.

... hence why Comms systems should always be powered by UPS when possible, so that you can still talk to people about why the power went out and how to get it back on pronto...

I'm also in the camp where I'd like to know a bit more about the general concept. I'd also like to know more about general issues such as reliability and durability as well as what is planned regarding availability, distribution, support and so on as a lot of my wish list items would relate to such issues. And I'd like to know what the $200 cost represents, is that a cost for a completely functioning system, a typical 'per station' cost, the cost for software that then also requires purchsing hardware and putting it all togther in order to have any type of functioning system or what?

Also, a theatre show can go on with mic feedback, lamps blowing mid-show, or a loudspeaker exploding. But the intercom system just has to work. Personally, I think that's the most critical system in any theatre, and I'd recommend reliability over new features any day of the week.

Aren't we all being a little harsh here? I work in a lot of community theatre venues, and a great many of them have NO intercom, or at best, a half duplex wireless mess that is used for emergency only. A *lot* of theatre is done with nothing but visual communication.

There IS a market for a product like is being described (yes, certainly IP based, and probably using commodity hardware platforms such as Raspberry Pi). Latency and quality of standard VOIP codecs over Ethernet is, essentially, realtime. You won't hear the delay. You'll start to notice it over WiFi, but not to the point that you couldn't call cues effectively. The biggest challenge that I see is interfacing with reasonable quality mics. This part will require some real electronics, but nothing especially daunting. And again, the software side of this is a fairly solved problem domain -- pick the best parts of the various VOIP protocols and glue 'em together, and you've got basic com. A little more work and you've got com plus sideband communication for other purposes, such as cue light control.

So, is there a market? You bet. I can list a dozen community theatres in Michigan who would buy such a system. Are you going to make a lot of money on it? Nope... probably not..

Harsh? Maybe but also realistic. As a person who's space has no comm system or hand held radios to use, I'd say they are absolutely essential, for any large show we have to rent radios, visual communications just don't work with someone in a booth and someone backstage.

Via tapatalk

Aren't we all being a little harsh here? I work in a lot of community theatre venues, and a great many of them have NO intercom, or at best, a half duplex wireless mess that is used for emergency only. A *lot* of theatre is done with nothing but visual communication.

There IS a market for a product like is being described (yes, certainly IP based, and probably using commodity hardware platforms such as Raspberry Pi).
Not trying to be harsh but the information presented seems more typical of that for a product while what is apparently being discussed is a system. Some rather specific 'product features' may be listed but I can't tell what "intercom/headset system" is being proposed, how it functions or what it would actually cost. It's a little difficult to provide specific comments on the system when there is such limited information provided regarding the system while it's a little difficult to provide more general comments when the general goals and intent are not defined.

If you ask people what they want in a low cost production communications system I seriously doubt that the ability to plug in a backup battery without having to go offline or micro-USB charging would be mentioned, at least not until you got down to dealing with details for specific types of systems and products. From past experience, such specific and not clearly relevant details being identified while basic information on the general system concept and functionality is not sometimes reflects an incomplete or false impression of the more general needs for the system overall. That may be a totally erroneous impression here but without information on the overall system (what it does, how it works, what it involves, etc.) then there is no way to tell.

Is what is being proposed a complete, functional system with all related hardware devices? Or is it software with compatible hardware and any system integration required to also be obtained in addition to the software? Or maybe a hybrid with some software and hardware provided but other items to be owner or user provided? Especially for some situations that may be looking for lower cost alternatives, it seems important to know what would actually be involved in terms of hardware, infrastructure, effort and expertise in order to have a fully functional system, perhaps much more important than many specific features.

What does the $200 cost noted represent? Unless it is for a complete, functional system with up to 255 stations then it is apparently not a "system" cost. And if it is not a complete system cost then it seems sort of pointless, and possibly misleading, to present without also identifying what it represents and what other costs may be entailed.

Does the system concept assume existing accessible networks, users using their personal tablets and smartphones and so on? If this is intended for commerical and institutional use then in many situations those may not be practical assumptions, especially if not supported for all common devices and operating systems. And if not only all of the equipment and any supporting infrastructure required but also any time and expertise required to create and support a working system have a cost then what does that do to the real 'system' cost?

What support is planned? Is there going to be 24/7 phone support, a user forum, a Knowledge Base or what? And if involving physical products, what is envisioned in terms of the related distribution, service and inventory? Just yesterday I dealt with someone who purchased a low cost solution but because it did not come with appropriate technical support (literally no manual or user guide of any kind being available), there is no dealer involved to provide support and the manufacturer does not seem interested in offering any support has ended up with a product they can't use effectively. And thus whatever they paid for it was too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
In reference to what part of this thread?
I think they're asking for an update, however while Aaronf8 asked for everyone's input in their original post, the last line suggests that they planned to update only those who provided them an e-mail address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back