Interesting new LED Par

I think one of the problems is terminology. Most of the manufacturers cite size of LEDs in milimeters rather than wattage, whereas dealers have equated these different sizes with quarter, half and one watt outputs. This is seemingly not the case.

I've arranged to get the LED Stagepar, Sun Wash/RBG and Sun Wash/AW into my shop for evaluation. They should arrive within the next two weeks. The REVO100 will follow shortly thereafter.

I'll post my thoughts and pictures as soon as I can.

Since these aren't Luxeons and are pulse width as DAE said, does that then mean that they aren't flicker free? I know that is has to do with the power usage and algorithms used for programing the LEDs and not the type of LED in use, but the term 'pulse' seems to imply flicker. (The reason for mentioning the Luxeons is because they are a 'high end' LED. I have yet to hear of a fixture that has flicker and uses Luxeons.)

Reason I ask is because just about everything I do ends up on camera. So flicker free LEDs are a must for me.

From what I understand, amost all LED fixtures are controlled by PWM technology.

Since these aren't Luxeons and are pulse width as DAE said, does that then mean that they aren't flicker free? I know that is has to do with the power usage and algorithms used for programing the LEDs and not the type of LED in use, but the term 'pulse' seems to imply flicker. (The reason for mentioning the Luxeons is because they are a 'high end' LED. I have yet to hear of a fixture that has flicker and uses Luxeons.)

Reason I ask is because just about everything I do ends up on camera. So flicker free LEDs are a must for me.

Unless they use quite a low frequency with the Pulse width modulation, which is unlikely then you shouldn't see flicker. If they are well designed the PWM rate should be in the ten's of kilo hertz range if not the hundred of Kilo hertz range.

Most of the high power LED's use a constant current drive and this is just switched in and out by the PWM.

Apart from being 200+% efficient [15 watts in 35 watts out] what is the point of the fresnel lens, there are no beam angles mentioned no photometric data, it follows the usual pattern for LED devices, lots of sales pitch and very little information.
If a conventional lamp manufacturer tried this they would be howled down but with LED stuff it's just normal.

Apart from being 200+% efficient [15 watts in 35 watts out] what is the point of the fresnel lens, there are no beam angles mentioned no photometric data, it follows the usual pattern for LED devices, lots of sales pitch and very little information.
If a conventional lamp manufacturer tried this they would be howled down but with LED stuff it's just normal.

It's a Chinese company, so we have lower expectations from them. I can't speak for anyone else, but if it works, is cheap, but lacks info, I'm sort of OK with that. In regards to other companies, the more money I'm spending, the more I want to know, and the better I expect a product to be. With these LED products, if they have a UL Listing, I'm not worried because how many things can go wrong with a basic circuit of LEDs? With a conventional on the other hand, I need to know that if any parts are broken or missing, I can easily replace them. These are the same companies many purchase controllers from, and it's even more imperative then that we have access to their tech support and know if there are problems, we're covered.

I bet you that if ETC, Strand, V/L, Colortran, or any other of those companies came out with an LED product and had no information aside from the fact that they turn on and use LEDs, we'd probably be able to watch as people tore them apart for having no data. It's all in our expectations; if ETC releases an LED product tomorrow, we expect we'll have hard numbers we can use to compare with other products. We also expect that we can get in touch with their tech support if necessary. I simply don't share those expectations with prime Chinese Reverse Engineering. That's not to say Neo-Neon is terrible, but I honestly have no idea about their company whatsoever aside from their inability to accurately post specifications and the fact they make LED products.

...With these LED products, if they have a UL Listing, I'm not worried ...
You're not going to find one of these products with a UL Listing, for a variety of reasons.

They do seem big in Santa Claus and reindeer.Several patents.

In his webinar, Richard Cadena quoted Haitz's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which I'd never heard and found very telling. It appears prudent at this juncture to take a "wait and see" attitude to purchasing LEDs. Chalk up another in the "Win" column for renting.

In his webinar, Richard Cadena quoted Haitz's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which I'd never heard and found very telling. It appears prudent at this juncture to take a "wait and see" attitude to purchasing LEDs. Chalk up another in the "Win" column for renting.

Okay, you have fun waiting for the next decade :)

I'm glad to see you haven't taken the same stance on computers that you have on LEDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back