Interesting stair

Someone paid attention in geometry... That's cool, Bill, thanks!

I like the shot with the stairs in the workshop, looks like they even tied the movement of a door to the opening/closing of the stairs. Nice safety feature!

Bill, is that a stand-alone product or is it exclusive to the tiny house builder?

I believed it was a one of a kind for one tiny house - though hard to imagine they didn't reuse the design. I don't know is the final answer.

I suspect this is REALLY expensive.
Absolutely. It has that 'cottage industry' feel. bcompact does some cool design and fabrication but seems mostly limited run design & fabrication for those who can afford such services. That's why I was wondering about licensing the IP for backstage use. I'm thinking primarily less space needed in a truck, less space needed backstage when the setpiece isn't playing, that kind of thing. The folks who need it most are probably the least likely to afford it.

Absolutely. It has that 'cottage industry' feel. compact does some cool design and fabrication but seems mostly limited run design & fabrication for those who can afford such services. That's why I was wondering about licensing the IP for backstage use. I'm thinking primarily less space needed in a truck, less space needed backstage when the set piece isn't playing, that kind of thing. The folks who need it most are probably the least likely to afford it.
@TimMc Less than forty miles from me, we have Mennonites who build TOP QUALITY wooden ladders to order: Normal stepladders, extension ladders, tree ladders designed for harvesting fruit sans damaging your trees.

Approximately seven years ago, our 750 seat producing theatre, which doubles as a road house during its off season, was mounting a small production in its secondary space. The set called for a matching pair of PRISTINE, clear, unfinished ten or twelve foot stepladders.

The pair of ladders were flawless, clear, totally knot free, white wood: Absolutely gorgeous, NOT inexpensive but good value for their cost.

The production ran for three consecutive weeks; at all times the when the cast weren't on stage; between matinee's and evenings, between rehearsals, gone home overnight and / or for their Equity Free day, PROMINENT signs were appended to all four sides of both ladders threatening death, loss of appendages, et al, were anyone to as much as move either of those ladders, let alone climb one, borrow one for a few minutes and / or even consider removing it from the stage even for a matter of minutes.
I remember the matching pair standing on their spike marks while I was working after hours installing flat-panel displays in the lobbies of both venues. Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I should have applied my Google-Fu! Thanks for the link. I can see this design used in escape stairs and similar applications. Built in New South Wales, it seems. I wonder if they might license their patents to scenic shops?
Good old Aussie ingenuity. Love these and they could have so many uses on sets. Not sure how many coats of paint it would cope with before not working

I forwarded the manufacturer's site link to my friend the Tech Director of our theatre. His day job is security system installation - CCTV, intruder and fire alarms, that sort of thing. He called me this morning to say he had seen something similar in one of the buildings he looks after. It's a school, and what they had is like the black bamboo ladders on the site rather than the full on staircase, and they've been there since the school was built, some 90 years ago. Seems there's really nothing new in this world, just different ways of looking at old problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back