Intro to Lighting Video

Pretty funny. I love those parodies of old filmstrips. I can't tell you how many I had to sit through in grade school.

Strands... are... old...?

I think I need to be alone now. :cry:

Our three strand 6x12s (I think they're 6x12s at least) constitute 1/3 of our "really nice lights".

That was great, but only two minutes?!

"Fresnels are spelled funny"

i know and they should be

free-shhh-nells :)

Great video, I must put that on my iPod, which is actually a Sansa; but if a Source4 can be a Leko...

Why, why, why, was the lens focus knob on the Source4 on the top instead of the bottom of the lens tube? One of my biggest gripes about the S4 is fixtures assembled wrong, not from the factory, but by the users. Everyone-repeat after me: On the rear, the safety attachment ring goes up (why does no one use this?); on the barrel, the gobo and iris slots go up; on the lens tube, the clip goes up; and the barrel rotate and focus knobs go on the bottom. All 5° and 10° should have double clutches and phillips screw and sleeve in the slot on top of the barrel holding the lens tube in. Double clutches are desirable, but not usually essential, with scrollers on 19°-50° units.

Great video, I must put that on my iPod, which is actually a Sansa; but if a Source4 can be a Leko...
Why, why, why, was the lens focus knob on the Source4 on the top instead of the bottom of the lens tube? One of my biggest gripes about the S4 is fixtures assembled wrong, not from the factory, but by the users. Everyone-repeat after me: On the rear, the safety attachment ring goes up (why does no one use this?); on the barrel, the gobo and iris slots go up; on the lens tube, the clip goes up; and the barrel rotate and focus knobs go on the bottom. All 5° and 10° should have double clutches and phillips screw and sleeve in the slot on top of the barrel holding the lens tube in. Double clutches are desirable, but not usually essential, with scrollers on 19°-50° units.

I like it on the botton, easier to access on a genie, but to each his own. It doesn't really matter though, you can do either on the newer barrels. As far as the safety ring goes... you figure out a way to use it that does not involve having to re-nico all of your fixtures or a way that makes it quick to get on and go for it. Pulling the safety through the hole does not work. The only way I can see doing it is to use the safety to choker the batten then beaner off to the light. This tends to get wrapped up really quick during focus.

i didnt enjoy the lighting one as much as i enjoyed the backstage tour of the wut. just look in the related ones.

wut is the uw madison theatre, right?

From what I can tell from their website, they have the WUT and the University Theatre.

Last edited:
i know a bunch of people up at madison, just none that are in the theatre program. ive heard about the union theatre a bunch of times.

Wow thats a great video thats pretty funny. Fresnels are spelled funny!! :grin: I also wish it was a little longer.

But digital is so cold and sterile, and uses lossless compression. And you don't get the challenge of burning your fingers on the carbons. I still contend that Spot Ops were better when they had to deal with carbon-arcs than now with Xenon Lamps, where "bright end towards the stage" is all one needs to know!

A few theatres still use the carbon-arc projects. I can think of at least one off-hand that takes pride in their authenticity. They show old movies, sometimes even original prints, in their original format with the carbon-arc projector, it's actually pretty cool. They are properly vented however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back