Ion (again ?)

did anything change on it from the last time we saw it?

Well they officially linked it to the website. Other than that I don't notice any changes.

i just now saw one at Hollywood lights here in Portland. The ETC reps were there showing it off. It's pretty.

did anything change on it from the last time we saw it?

There's now a link to the Fader Playback Wings in the downloads section.

One of the issues still left unclear is; the main Ion page (there's no .pdf page for the console yet) indicates that Ion uses the standard Eos/Congo set of Fader Playback wings. The text on the main Ion page indicates such use as Submasters, yet the fader .pdf page states that the fader wing wings on Eos AND Ion provide for more physical playbacks.

Curious as to what ETC has planned here.

SB

There's now a link to the Fader Playback Wings in the downloads section.

One of the issues still left unclear is; the main Ion page (there's no .pdf page for the console yet) indicates that Ion uses the standard Eos/Congo set of Fader Playback wings. The text on the main Ion page indicates such use as Submasters, yet the fader .pdf page states that the fader wing wings on Eos AND Ion provide for more physical playbacks.

Curious as to what ETC has planned here.

SB

The guys told me this morning that it had the ability to add 298 subs on the wing panels. I'm sorry guys I was in such a hurry, and I knew I should ask more questions.

Just an FYI - From ETC's user forums...

I've seen those questions on the other forums...

So, to make everything clear, in the initial release of support for the fader-wings, they will only be able to be used as submasters. (And this is in reference to all Eos related products...I don't know what Congo does with these fader wings at this point.)

We will add support for making the fader wings configurable, and thus allowing them to be used as playbacks. We understand that there is a need for having more actual playbacks on a console with multiple cue lists. We will be completing a virtual playback array display that can be opened on the console monitors which allow the user to use the touch screen (or a mouse) to execute playbacks.

Adding the playback support to the fader-wings is one of my top priority tasks after the 1.3 version of Eos software is released, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for it.

-Derek

Derek Blume
Software Engineer
Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc.
Research & Development Controls Department

Does that make it clear for everyone?

Ya know...

After looking at my last post, it looks like I'm mad at all the questions that have been asked. Just to be clear - I"m not, I just wanted to be sure what I posted was understood. Sorry for any mis-interpretation.

Ya know...
After looking at my last post, it looks like I'm mad at all the questions that have been asked. Just to be clear - I"m not, I just wanted to be sure what I posted was understood. Sorry for any mis-interpretation.

Hey I think it's great. I'm not concerned about this issue, but clearly ETC is listening through people like you and Steve to what the end user wants out here in cyber space. That's a great thing. Anytime a company listens to their customers the product gets better for everyone.

Can't wait until we take delivery of our pair of IONs. We were one of the first to order it...our dealer didn't even know what it was when we first asked for a quote :p

Can't wait until we take delivery of our pair of IONs. We were one of the first to order it...our dealer didn't even know what it was when we first asked for a quote :p
Though I am happy that IC is keeping with the new tech, it makes me kinda sad that you guys managed to destroy the Strand. The Obsession was lousy from the get go, but the 300 was nice. Just be happy you didn't have to use the Expression 1.

It's not like we dropped the Strand out a window or something. It started crashing on us toward the end of last year. The Obsession 2 has been giving us trouble lately too. It's been unreliable enough that we don't trust it to run a show. I think the last show it ran was last year's fall musical. For the musical this year I had to program moving lights and all on a rented Obsession 600. THAT was fun...and it was our third one from the rental house; the first two we got kept crashing. It seems that ever since Steve left the light board gods have been against us. And as for the Obsession 2, I'm not sure what the long term plan is. I've heard talk about getting a bid for an Eos system, but I'm not sure if that lies before or after new dimming and distribution in the Clark.

The joke has been going around that we'll be the guinea pigs for finding all the bugs in the Ion...and to be honest it's probably going to be true ;)

I guarantee you that he LDS conference center will have their ION first. So it goes. They already have 5 EOS, and they are picking up a couple IONs and they are upgrading their entire Dimming System to Sensor+ (that is a few thousand dimmers).

I guarantee you that he LDS conference center will have their ION first. So it goes. They already have 5 EOS, and they are picking up a couple IONs and they are upgrading their entire Dimming System to Sensor+ (that is a few thousand dimmers).

Alex... why would the want an ION if they already have 5 EOS? Is the answer "because it is there"?

Alex... why would the want an ION if they already have 5 EOS? Is the answer "because it is there"?
Something like that. You really have to see the space to believe it. Ever wonder why the max number of universes you could control with an Obsession was 64? Have you ever though about working in an indoor 25000 seat hall where the shortest throw from a fixed lighting position to the stage is 50'. Ever seen a custom setup by ETC with fiber optic networking for redundant backup?

ETC is developing an "EOS in a box" for the conference center so that they can stick them in racks for redundant backup. It is kind of crazy, but when you siphon so much money off the members of your church, you can have whatever you want. But the techs there still laugh about how I almost destroyed their parking garage sign.

Ok, fine. So, the LDS conference center was parting with a bunch of source fours and donated them to some of the local venues. We were lucky enough to get about 50 units, and the U of U theatre department got 40, and I would imagine they sent some up to BYU. Anyway, I took our company van over to pick them up. So, I pulled into the loading dock and we loaded up the van, and then they were going to give us a tour. Well, we can't leave the van in the dock, so one of their people hops in with me to show me where to park.

Well, the conference center has underground parking, and we start heading down the ramp towards the height limit sign. I look at the conference center guy and say "I don't think we can fit."

"We have like 8 vans like this, we park them down here all the time." He says.

Well, my van has roof racks, and as we go under the sign (thankfully one of the ones that is hung down from the structure on chains) and BOOOM! the racks slam into the sign, thankfully not ripping it off the posts, but wrapping it up around the bracket a few times. I had to make a crazy star shaped turn to get off the ramp, and not hit the little old lady who was driving behind me.

Once we found a parking space on the street we headed back in where the guy from the conference center proceeded to tell his boss the story. So the whole tech staff has to wander out and see the carnage, and of course walks back in in hysterics.

Giving away some S4's huh? Had the lamps burned out so it was time to buy new ones?

They were probably "old-style" without integral body safety attachment and 575W only-no "handy handle." Who would want those? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back