ION effect suggestion solicitation

Jay Ashworth

I'm lighting my first musical (revue) on the ION (v2.5.2), and I have a couple of spots in my plot marked Big Damn Bally, and Psychadelia.

Aside from my 2 VLX-440 and 2 VLX-3 movers, which I think I can figure out how to hang effects on for those cues, I have 18 channels of MR-16 cyc strips -- 3x3 color, top and bottom -- and I'm not sure how to set those up.

My target is something where all 6 strips are lit, 3 top and 3 bottom, but all the colors change randomly (and sharply, no crossfade), on each beat.

Do I have to set the triplets of dimmers up as RGB fixtures, somehow, to pull that off? (They aren't, presently, we don't do this much, and we just handpaint colors as we need them.)

I would assign all dimmers to individual channels, do a step based effect listing channels in order, then select Random, adjusting step timing as needed

I would record the looks you like as Intensity Pallettes and then use an absolute effect to step through the colors on a preassigned rhythm.

If the music is live and the rhythm is in consistent nightly, you could build a cue for each look in a secondary cue list, filter the cue list to just the strip channels, set it to wrap around, and drop a second go button on the faders. That way the op just taps the button to the beat.

I think I've done what Steve suggests before, and I think it will only get me one strip (out of six) lit at a time, in only one primary color; IE: not near enough color.

sounds: I think I get what you're talking about, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to do it yet. I have one more rehearsal before dress, so I'll try it out tonight; I think there are enough keywords in there to let me figure it out (I am young and not much traveled, yet :).

Could I trouble you to rewrite that second graf with a few more words? :)

With a little help from Justin, I figured out how to do this.

I recorded my side-light and cyc-color ballys into cue lists 2 and 3, and then attached them to a pair of faders by going into Tab 36, where I could switch the modes of those faders from Submaster to Cue.

Getting the cuelist to *stop* playing when you're done is a bit harder:

If you tap Fader Controls, S1 changes to Release, which acts as a shift-key with the Go button of the relevant cue list, and -- usually -- causes it to stop playing the last cue you went to and go away...

but not always, and I can't discern why.

If you hold Fader Control down just a bit too long, it goes into Fader Page mode, and all is chaos. :-}

This is worse when you have to put your show playbacks on a separate page (they're pages of *10*, not the 40 faders I actually have, which makes it worse)...

And while you're playing the fader, it takes over the PSD window, so you can't see where you're coming *back to*, either, though at least the main board LCD shows the next cue.

Anyroad, I did get it done, and thanks to soundsofsparks for the lucid pointer.

If you tap Fader Controls, S1 changes to Release, which acts as a shift-key with the Go button of the relevant cue list, and -- usually -- causes it to stop playing the last cue you went to and go away...

There are some fader and/or cue list properties that can help manage which cue list is controlling the channels. Assert, Go from Last->Restore, Stomp->Release and likely others can be used to manage which cue list is controlling the channels. Also, in fader config you can assign a button to Release and not necessarily need to use the Fader Config button to get {Release} on a softkey.

And while you're playing the fader, it takes over the PSD window, so you can't see where you're coming *back to*, either, though at least the main board LCD shows the next cue.

You can lock your PSD to a specific cue list and also open multiple PSDs to see what's going on in multiple cue lists at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back