Ion help please

Mike 1014

Hello, I am getting to be an older lighting guy trying to keep up with all the modern day wonders in our industry. I have some experience with the Ion. In several months I will be designing a show in a large "theater in the round" facility. The system is quite large 400 plus dimmers, 8-VL 3000s, lots of scrollers, LEDs, et..... The theater operates with a strictly maintained repertory plot. Designers can add to the rep plot but are strongly discouraged if they wish to re task any rep fixture. Their ion is beautifully set-up for the rig. I have a very short amount of time for programming once I am in the space.
THE QUESTION: Is it possible to retrieve the Theater's rep plot from their ion and cue the show offline on a laptop. Like the old express software. Once the show is cued I can load my show built from their original rep plot program. Now I can make simple adjustments rather than building a show from scratch. Thank you in advance for any help.

You can download the free ETC software called Nomad, which is the off-line editing program for the Eos family, Ion included. It comes in PC and Mac flavors

Www.etcconnect.com

Also download the v2.2 keyboard shortcuts, which has all the assorted commands to allow a regular computer keyboard replicate the console buttons.

Then ask the theater if they have a template or basic Ion rep. file to start with, else you an just simply build the cues in Nomad and then import your cue file into the house Ion as an ASCII cue import, which won't affect the patch and anything else they might have configured on the desk - macros, house light subs, etc... The console files are ".esf" files as BTW.

If you get time, take a look at the Magic Sheet system on the consoles. Makes programming and viewing show data more efficient.

Last edited:
You don't have to bother with ASCII imports, you can just merge your cues from nomad into the desk. You use the merge command rather than the load command,many then just select the cues.

I Agree with SteveB. Since they have a strong rep setup, get a copy of standard show file. Then build your cues, subs and paletts as if you were there. Palettes may be your best friend.

Hey Mike--I have been in your shoes and want to offer you some ideas that have helped me. As suggested, obtaining the venue's stock show file is a great first step. Hopefully this will contain their basic palette list for their fixture inventory. If not, that's your first step in the Nomad software on your computer. From there, it is building your presets, which are basically your different scenes for the show which incorporates all of your various palette information (color, beam, focus, intensity). Then take those presets to record your cue list. One thing to be very aware of before you start cueing is to ensure that "auto mark" is enabled. In the main dialogue box, under "setup" click on "show settings". Here you will find a lot of options such as default cue timing and other assorted goodies. Auto Mark is in the center column and what this feature does is gives the ML's and LED's their palette information in advance of the cues containing their intensity values so you don't end up with the fixtures moving or changing color while they are still on. It saves tons and tons of time compared to the old days where you had to write all the auto follow cueing data.

Their are several places where you can find a plethora of programming information. The first is on ETC's forums at community.etcconnect.com the next is through YouTube. ETC has dozens of training videos on all facets of working on the Eos platform uploaded to YouTube so you are free to learn the console. The final is a Facebook group called ETC Eos Family Console Programmers. It is a closed group so you will need to request admittance but it is filled with the best programmers around who are usually happy to help.

If you have more questions, I am also happy to help. Good luck to you!

Thank-you so much for the help. I knew the ion could "preset" moving lights but I didn't know what the feature was called (auto mark) or where to find it. What a terrific forum. Thank-you again mike

Thank-you so much for the help. I knew the ion could "preset" moving lights but I didn't know what the feature was called (auto mark) or where to find it. What a terrific forum. Thank-you again mike

As comment, the Auto-Mark function has the attribute fixtures do their "preseting" (marking) in the last possible moment - I.E. the desk waits until the cue before you need them. Thus timing of attribute moves is important.

The console also lets you choose where and when to have marking happen via the Reference Mark function. Gives you a bit more flexibility.

If you are using Nomad on a Mac, and have an iPad, there is an IPad app called Duet, that allows the iPad to become a touchscreen for the Mac. Best thing ever! Put your On screen keyboard on the iPad and away you go... But also use programming on Nomad as an opportunity to learn keyboard shortcuts as it's much faster than hunting around the big console...

Sounds like you're headed to NSMT. I've designed a number of shows there. The rep plot is pretty thorough. I've never felt a strong need to make changes to the area lighting except tweaking some PAR washes. The hard part is finding available real estate to shoehorn in additional equipment. If you start with a base show file from their Ion or even a recent show file you'll have the advantage of all of their palettes.

The hard part will be finding much of a window of opportunity to preprogram between seeing the run-thru and starting tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back