Ion.. I know it's a setting somewhere....

jtweigandt

Been cleaning up our base hang in the old chataqua barn.. removed miles of extra and serpentine roaming dmx and light cable so far.
Standardizing a base patch on the ion as well.
I was deleting some very old show files, which it let me do just fine. Sub folders just fine.. but
when I try to delete a folder at the bottom level, even if it's all empty of any show files, The dialog ."press enter to delete" or whatever
shows up, but the darned folder doesn't go away. Am I stuck with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang forever, or is there a setting somewhere protecting the base layer
of folders?

You could try backing up the show files you care about to another device and do a deep clear. That should wipe out everything in there.

If that doesn't work, call tech support. Back in college, I had a file or a folder get stuck similarly that I couldn't modify/delete. ETC ended up shipping a re-imaging kit which definitely did the trick. ;)

Are you deleting the files by using the File Manager in the shell? (Settings > Maintenance > File Manager)

That should allow you to delete any show files or folders.

A deep clear will not delete any files- it just clears the persistent memory that the console uses to keep your active show file. It doesn't affect the hard drive at all.

-Todd

I mean, a strong enough magnet will clear anything...

I mean, a strong enough magnet will clear anything...

Newer consoles mostly have solid state drives, so a magnet strong enough to erase the data could only do so by destroying the device. They're not sensitive to magnetic erasure the way a traditional hard drive can be. So... you're not exactly wrong... but I wouldn't let you test out your theory on anything I ever wanted to use again.

Newer consoles mostly have solid state drives, so a magnet strong enough to erase the data could only do so by destroying the device. They're not sensitive to magnetic erasure the way a traditional hard drive can be. So... you're not exactly wrong... but I wouldn't let you test out your theory on anything I ever wanted to use again.
Take this with a 'grain of salt' and consider it's coming from a seriously vision impaired / totally computer illiterate, aged geezer.

My immediately previous desk top PC ran XP and contained two 7,200 RPM drives in a redundant RAID configuration.
I upgraded directly from my XP box to a brand new desk top running MS Win 10 and containing two Solid State hard drives, again in a redundant RAID configuration.

My 'Computer Guru' explained SS Hard drives thus:
"Think of them as 'bubble wrap'; you can press and release the bubbles many, many, times. As long as you don't burst any, they've a half-life similar to dirt. IF your software is EXTREMELY read / write intensive; yes, they can fail but certainly not like the bearing failures / head crashes of my previous dual redundant spinning plastic discs coated with rusty iron.
@MNicolai Would you care to chime in / comment / educate / explain / elucidate?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I have run the reimaging kit, and it's spiffy enough I kept it for later spelunking.

But +1 for ETC Technical Support; I have only stumped them *once*.

Take this with a 'grain of salt' and consider it's coming from a seriously vision impaired / totally computer illiterate, aged geezer.

My immediately previous desk top PC ran XP and contained two 7,200 RPM drives in a redundant RAID configuration.
I upgraded directly from my XP box to a brand new desk top running MS Win 10 and containing two Solid State hard drives, again in a redundant RAID configuration.

My 'Computer Guru' explained SS Hard drives thus:
"Think of them as 'bubble wrap'; you can press and release the bubbles many, many, times. As long as you don't burst any, they've a half-life similar to dirt. IF your software is EXTREMELY read / write intensive; yes, they can fail but certainly not like the bearing failures / head crashes of my previous dual redundant spinning plastic discs coated with rusty iron.
@MNicolai Would you care to chime in / comment / educate / explain / elucidate?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
I will.

SSDs with data have a shelf life, depending on the technology, but I think it's several years. At least.

If you're using them, they're rated in TB/writes, usually. With numbers like 3500, so Exabytes.

A good tip: don't partition the entire user-available space; I'm told the drive controller will make use
of empty space it can identify to increase lifetime by wear-leveling.

I'm *also* told that if an SSD goes read-only on you, that's the sign it's out of lifetime... and

SIT DOWN, PAY ATTENTION: THIS PART'S IMPORTANT

The next time you power it off, it turns into a brick. This happened to me on a MacBook Pro; I got lucky and could reboot into Disk Utility without powering off, so I got DMG files of my partitions onto an external USB (2.0, so slow) drive.

Thanks everyone.. file manager in the shell did the trick. I also made current backup of the board setup and archived all the old show files to thumb drives
Since this isn't my day job, I have had to "re learn" stuff on the board every time I'm away from it for a while. I'll try to post the embarrassing picture of all the stray
and redundant cable I have taken down over the last few times I've been in. Our dmx LED feeds were almost a web :) We have no fly space, just fixed bars, so sometimes
when the shows get changed over quickly, stuff gets added or left. Covid was a good opportunity to "take out a clean sheet of paper" after the unused set stood nearly a year in hopeful anticipation and was finally struck, and
I had an open stage to roll around on the lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back