Hey all,

We’re upgrading g the counter in our booth, and thus have been forced to remove everything. This gives us a new opportunity when reinstalling to shake things up and try something new.

So, my question for everyone here is “What’s your favourite 2-screen arrangement for your lighting console?”
Do you like the 7-10 split, where one monitor is on the left of the board, one is on the right?
Do you like a side by side? If so, to one side, or directly in front (but obscuring the stage)
How about a vertical stack?
Maybe you have something crazy that you’ve never seen elsewhere but that makes your workflow super awesome and you just can’t understand why no one else uses this system?

Thanks, all

A clear view of the stage is essential. Monitors on swing arms really help being able to fine-tune their placement for different board ops.
I prefer one monitor in landscape mode and one ion portrait mode. The I divide into three; largest for channels, the smaller two for the color picker and direct selects. I keep tabs selected for groups, presets, palettes, etc. so when they open I know where they're going to pop up. On the portrait mode I have the cue list, plus About and the Command History tabs. I keep tabs selected for effects and macros here (among other things).

I save my own views under my own snapshot sp it can be recalled easily, and others can much around with their setup however much they want to.

I enjoyed working with an arrangement that was more or less the above, plus a tablet running Nomad as a third touchscreen, also on a swing arm; all of the direct selects and magic sheets went there. Also gave a backup in case the Ion we were running went down, but we never had to fall back on it.

I can't use swing arms as the monitors need to be laid on their face in order for my desk to close up, so I built small wood stands to elevate them. Works OK.

Attachments

• 4E2B6BAD-6D5E-4E48-AC24-873300456344.jpeg
    4E2B6BAD-6D5E-4E48-AC24-873300456344.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Most booths I've set up or worked in use the split arrangement. I think larger monitors have something to do with that, stacking is just too high.

I will be checking some monitors for a portrait mode. One each way sounds nice.

and then there is the fight of how they are set: mouse-left/right to move between monitors.....or mouse-up/down to move between. I've run into some strong opinions about this. I personally find up/down too confusing for me

and then there is the fight of how they are set: mouse-left/right to move between monitors.....or mouse-up/down to move between. I've run into some strong opinions about this. I personally find up/down too confusing for me

Wait, what? Are you saying that some people choose to do something other than match the physical arrangement of the monitors? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around any argument in favor of moving the mouse upwards to change to a screen that's to the left of the one I'm currently on.

I moved to a all monitors to the left of the console setup at some point. I don't know exactly when, but it just felt more natural to always look in the same general area regardless of what information I needed to see. I usually put my computer and com on the right hand side of the console with these setups.

I'll also second @Malabaristo . The only times I've ever experienced monitors and mice not lining up it was a result of the local operators not knowing how to adjust said settings, not a deliberate choice

Ours are both to the right, cause that puts them in the corner behind the wall, and neither blocks sightline.

They're also on 2 different levels, which is why I know that EOS will *not* let you put the monitors in a diagonal arrangement in the setup. :)

Currently we have both in landscape to the left of the console, but I'm hoping to move to one on the left in landscape, one on the right in portrait, with the view to the stage unimpeded between them.

Just curious, but how many are touch screen?

One of my venues has an Ion and I use a Visidec monitor stand for the two touch screens.
I like it because it makes the monitors like an extension on the console and places the monitors touching at the top of the Ion.
I still have the ability to see over the monitors to see the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back