Ion Question

mstaylor

Departed Member
I was working on a set call for a local community theatre, my first production in years. I seem to be the local expert on all things DMX and was asked about some problems they were having using their new ION. The lighting designer/board op doesn't like to build cue stacks, prefering to use many subs and overlay them. I fixed everything except one thing. She has ColorBlazes on the cyc and has a sub for about six different colors, three that break them into three sections. What she was doing was having the sub up with a red, then overlaying a center section with a different color. The problem is when she takes out the center it doesn't return to the original color. My solution was to rebuilt the sub to get the red on either side and pink in the middle and cross fade them.
Building the cue stack would be the best solution but she is like me, old school, prefers the ability to change cues slightly. The reason she didn't like my solution was she wanted the option to combine different combinations of the LEDs. Any ideas?

I'm not really picturing the situation very well here, but it sounds suspiciously like some of the subs might be set to HTP. Make sure they're all set to LTP, as this could be the easy fix. Beyond that, I can't think of what would be causing this, unless there were other background levels running like cues in progress. Next time this happens, go to [About] and select the channel(s) in question. Under Current Values, you can look and see exactly where those channels are getting their data from. Hope that helps.

If I am understanding the situation correctly, you DO NOT want them LTP, you DO want them HTP. However, the problem I think lies in that the LEDs are NIPs and they are always LTP, you can't change that. If this is indeed the problem, the work around would be to patch the LEDs "old school" style as dimmers to give them the HTP attribute that you need in this instance.

-Tim

If I am understanding the situation correctly, you DO NOT want them LTP, you DO want them HTP. However, the problem I think lies in that the LEDs are NIPs and they are always LTP, you can't change that. If this is indeed the problem, the work around would be to patch the LEDs "old school" style as dimmers to give them the HTP attribute that you need in this instance.

-Tim

Old topic, I know, but you could also record individual parameters to submasters, ie sub 1 is ch 1-5 red, sub 2 is blue, sub 3 is green. I had some difficulty understanding the description of the original problem, but this would be the same as patching the LEDs old school, except that you would keep the advantages of that come with channel=fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back