Control/Dimming Ion wireless Network

jerekb

Can I do this and will it work with ETC's new IRFR app?
Ion Console Networked via cat5 to Netgear 8 Port wired Router that also has Nexia processors, School Server/WWW, a networked school computer, and a wireless router connected to it? I am not using network nodes and all I need is the wireless router can I use it for both the ION wireless network as well as wireless internet? If not can I simply connect the wireless router directly into the board? Do I have to use the built in POE Injector and routing system if all I want is the Linksys Wireless router?

First off, NEVER connect your lighting control network to a large existing intranet, let alone the internet. In can cause severe unintended results. With that out of the way, if all you want is iRFR functionality, the simplest solution would be to run a standard Cat-5 from the board to a LAN port on the wireless router or WAP. As far as your last question, I'm not sure what you mean by built-in POE/routing system. Built in to what? You shouldn't need POE, however, if your ION is already networked, you could just add a wireless router to the Net2/3 network by running a Cat-5 from the switch to a LAN port on the router.

What I mean is the theatre has built in wall ports and a POE Injector and a large like patch board which I pretty much stut off cause currently all we have are Strand nodes. THank you very much I apreciate all the help. I think for the time being I'll simply connect the wireless router directly to the board. What will I need to do on the board as far as network setup?

Ah, all right. I would recommend not using the patch bay and wall outlets if you're not sure that it's lighting only, or if your need isn't great enough to use it. I'm not sure about board configuration, as I'm only just trying to get an Ion for our venue. Just be sure that you run it to one of the (probably four) LAN ports on the router.

Last edited:
For the Network configurations on the Ion, you will have to make sure the network is "on." Secondly, you need to make sure that you have the same IP class on both your laptop and the Ion. You will also need to make sure that you have the subnet 255.255.0.0 on your routers configurations, which is the standard subnet for the console.

Should be able to, buy why? Plug it strait into the WAP, and then you can control it from your iPod/iPhone, and your laptop too if it has WiFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back