Control/Dimming Ion's DMX over StrandNet nodes?

I have not used the Strand Nodes much, but I have lots of experience with PathPort. Unless the nodes have a really odd configuration, you should have it. I would of course defer to anyone with more Strand specific experience, but you are really are dealing with just DMX and conversion over the Strand network protocol, so you should be all good.

~Dave

Yup, you can do that. You just have to go into the "input" node and switch it to an input and then make a male to male 5 pin cable. I assume you have SN110 nodes, which were sold as being "ACN Ready". If the day ever comes when the push the update to those nodes so we can actually use them with ACN based consoles. One day... maybe...

Just and FYI, if you have the nodes laying around patch in a laptop running MagicQ, it outputs shownet (Strands protocol) just fine. Thats what I use to connect my magicQ to the world.

If you are using SN110 nodes and have any problems getting them to receive the Ion DMX, exit Ion, go to Settings, then Ion, and then change the DMX speed for the port you are using to Slow. Some SN110 nodes need a very long interpacket idle time in order to receive DMX and we have accomodated that in the Slow setting.

David

Strand nodes not working

ok well I have not yet tried to change the setting to slow.... wil that change response time? Currently I have everything set up and now but nothing is working.... both nodes have a heart beat but they both have a line struck through on the LED where it says DMX in and DMX out it looks like [-]DMX in[/-] Any thoughts?

No Arrows I assume? Are they both on the same networks.. IE... 192.168.0.???

Re: Strand nodes not working

If there is a line through the DMX In, then it is not receiving DMX. Try changing the speed and let us know what happens.

Your response time will not be noticeable as you will be changing from around 40Hz to around 25Hz.

David

Re: Strand nodes not working

ok so I tried slow and it didn't work... I talked to a guy from strand and he said that the SN110 nodes for some reason don't like the DMX signal from the ION but there N21 ports work okay so I guess my best option is to buy an N21 node.

Strand N21 price? real quick.

Anyone got a rough price on a strand N21 node new? Umm I hope this isn't against forum rules.

[Edit: This post moved here from another thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a difference between slew rate limited output chips in the ion and the impedance of the sn110. Try a DFD combiner in line - it it'll probably work - but then, what did that buy you if it's only for one node. When is DMX not DMX? When it meets the specs but the two items don't talk.

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page

2008 MSRPish prices i have on hand. Don't know todays pricing:

SHOWNET ETHERNET - NETWORK NODES
65151 N21 2 port node, POE 2 gang 1300.00
65152 N21 2 port node, POE 2 SN110 retrofit 1300.00
65153 N21 2 port node, POE, with surface mount box 1300.00
65153-P N21 2 port node, with portable mount kit 1300.00
65154 N21 4 port node, 1U rack mount enclosure, universal AC adapter 3160.00

No I don't sell them.

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page

2008 MSRPish prices i have on hand. Don't know todays pricing:

SHOWNET ETHERNET - NETWORK NODES
65151 N21 2 port node, POE 2 gang 1300.00
65152 N21 2 port node, POE 2 SN110 retrofit 1300.00
65153 N21 2 port node, POE, with surface mount box 1300.00
65153-P N21 2 port node, with portable mount kit 1300.00
65154 N21 4 port node, 1U rack mount enclosure, universal AC adapter 3160.00

No I don't sell them.

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page
OUCH!! that hurts. UGHH!!! why does this stuff have to be so expensive. I've seen the insides of one of these and it really isn't 1300.00 $'s worth of stuff. GRR (Venting) sorry

Remember that's MSRP. The street price on a SN110 was around $800. So I would expect your real price to be closer to that. Call your favorite dealer.

Do you have a Strand console as well? The SN110 can be a bit touchy to setup. I would make sure the node is actually configured correctly by testing it with a Strand console... or anything besides an Ion for that matter... before I buy a new node.

How did things work out with your problem? The SN110 node is definitely very fussy about the DMX flavor it will accept in input mode, so your problem is no surprise and very commonly reported. It works very well outputting DMX though. If David's advice re: slowing the Ion's DMX update rate doesn't work, you will have to use a different device. Pathort C-series nodes will fit the same box as the SN110, and are compatiblw with Strand's Ethernet protocol.

How did things work out with your problem? The SN110 node is definitely very fussy about the DMX flavor it will accept in input mode, so your problem is no surprise and very commonly reported. It works very well outputting DMX though. If David's advice re: slowing the Ion's DMX update rate doesn't work, you will have to use a different device. Pathort C-series nodes will fit the same box as the SN110, and are compatiblw with Strand's Ethernet protocol.

Aren't the SN110's made by pathway. Same as the ETC Net2's. We use to say: Pathway's and ETC's have a sad face and Strand's have a happy face.

Cheers,

Maurice Garcia
dimmer.com Home Page

I won't swear to it, but I believe that Strand's were not made by Pathway. ETC's were, but Strands were their own thing and there may have been some sort of lawsuit between the two companies over them at one point in time...

Pathway has not made nodes for Strand. We used to OEM 2-port nodes for ETC, but they've taken that production in-house now. We also OEM cores for some ET and Genlyte products, which means our DMX/Ethernet node is integrated into their products. No lawsuits that I'm aware of

As Dave said above, the SN110 is finicky. If it won't receive the Ion's DMX, then you'll need to replace it with another input node.

Robert Armstrong
Pathway Connectivity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back