IP Rated Halogen/Tungsten/Incandescent

Second that. I've done shows where it's raining and the PAR cans were steaming like kettles. The Edinburgh tattoo uses masses of PAR cans, and it has to cope with The Haar, a sea fog that gets everything really wet. We've also used CCT Silhouettes outdoor when it's wet, as long as they're prewarmed and kept warm they just steam gently. 1kW lamps get pretty warm. Minack used PAR64 and ADB PC for years, again the heat of the lamp kept them dry. Just make sure you use IP rated connectors, or take steps to protect them.

Altman had an IP rated par. I have vague memories of an IP Source 4.

Perhaps the most common thing was to just let the rain evaporate in the heat. It's surprising how water resistant poer connectors are.

ETC did make one. Though it was HID and had no shutters. So probably not practical for most theatrical or concert uses. More of an architectural light that would probably get focused once and then never move again.

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Altman still lists them:

Thank you all. Very helpful info. The new Altman’s are a bit out of our price range right now. But if I can use the old workhorse pars and protect their connectors, then That should work for us (we don’t plan on using them in the rain, but it can get windy or a tad humid in Northern California). Would I be good to use source 4 lekos in the same way (only about 6)?

FWIW, if you want cheap, high-quality outdoor rated LED wash fixtures, keep tabs on eBay for ETC Desire XT/XTI fixtures. Seems like there are always sizable lots of used-but-good-condition fixtures getting pulled from cruise ship installs selling for $400-500/ea. I own a couple myself and i definitely feel like I got my money's worth. The theme parks and cruise ship installs mean there are lots of these fixtures out there on the secondary market, but most of those clients exclusively purchase new so the used market has a hefty markdown for fixtures that are still in good shape.

I've worked at amphitheaters that left all their Pars and 360Qs out for 6 months of the year with never an issue except rust. The plugs were all inside a plastic shrouded door.
Even at Disneyland, you see source fours and VL800s sporadically added to lighting towers for christmas time and survive many years being outside for the entire rainy season.

FWIW, if you want cheap, high-quality outdoor rated LED wash fixtures, keep tabs on eBay for ETC Desire XT/XTI fixtures. Seems like there are always sizable lots of used-but-good-condition fixtures getting pulled from cruise ship installs selling for $400-500/ea. I own a couple myself and i definitely feel like I got my money's worth. The theme parks and cruise ship installs mean there are lots of these fixtures out there on the secondary market, but most of those clients exclusively purchase new so the used market has a hefty markdown for fixtures that are still in good shape.

Stay tuned for the updated Solotech and PRG and 4Wall "inventory reduction" sales. Some may remember the term "fire sale."

Solotech put $134 MILLION dollars (Canadian or US?) worth of gear up on Facebook Marketplace the other day, and a few hours later took it down. Rumor is that there was a huge, negative reaction from others hoping to sell gear both new and used.

Also consider this: in the roughly 14 months between when things shut down and when many are *hoping* business can resume at some kind of scale, moving light designers/manufacturers in China have introduced at least 1, and probably 2 new generations of fixtures while production vendors are sitting on NEW IN BOX fixtures that were purchased in Jan/Feb 2020. Never used, never even opened and already obsolete. The inability to recover those costs and redirect money into brand new inventory will help sink at least a couple of lighting vendors.

What's this got to do with IP rated fixtures? Just wait a couple more months, if you can, and there will be bargains for those with cash in hand.

We may now continue whistling past the graveyard of broken dreams and bankrupt vendors. The manufacturers of lighting, sound equipment and LED panels will feel the backlash starting by the end of year and it will take years for them to recover. :eek:

Y'all aint seen nothin' yet.

I've used PARs, Source Fours, blinders, and fresnels all outside many times. PAR64's are the workhorse for front lighting on our outdoor festivals here, but there is also one annual week-long festival that has source fours out on FOH booms. Make sure your connectors are well protected from the rain and you should be good to go.

Slowly fade your fixtures up at the top of your call so any water can evaporate without temperature-shocking the glass. Also, if the rain starts and the show continues, I will ghost all my exposed fixtures 10-15% to keep them warm to try to steam off the water.

At the end of your run, make sure the fixtures are dry before they get packed up (hopefully you have a dry day to strike), and check all the mechanical bits back at the shop for grime, corrosion, etc.

Research into Strand Pagent lights. Bentham, Fred. Sixty Years of Light Work, an autobiography. 1 Kiln House Yard, Baldock Street Royston, Hertfordshire SG8 5AY: Entertainment Technology Press Ltd., 2001 & 1992. Would be research into the start of IP ratings to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back