Control/Dimming iPad vs. Strand Supervisor

Good afternoon, folks. I apologize if this has already been specifically answered in another thread. I've trolled around for the past couple of days, and haven't found an answer yet.

I recently received a new iPad 2 as a birthday gift, and would like to put it to use in my auditorium. I run a unified auditorium for the local public school district which was renovated in 2005, and the person in charge of the renovations at the time installed Strand products across the board, from the 300-series console to the SLs hanging over the stage. Our central node is controlled by a Supervisor CD80SV-SN110 unit, running to ~140 standard CD80 dimmers. We have an ad-hoc wireless access point in the ceiling that ties into the ethernet backbone in the house.

While the 300 console has been somewhat reliable (it's solid state drive is gradually failing), and the Premiere system has its ups and downs, I would really like to be able to shut the 300 down and run simple concerts with my iPad. The Strand connection software is buggy at best (sometimes I can't get a local echo on my screen), and it requires me to use a USB dongle on my laptop which can be awkward at best sometimes. Right now, purchasing a new console isn't in the school district's budget, so I have to work with what I've got and make the best of it.

I would like to install a DMX controller for my iPad, and I see that there are several options available that supposedly work over ethernet. I'm not adverse to spending money on controller software, however, I don't want to shell out a hundred bucks if it's not going to work. I would rather get a fully-featured standalone DMX controller, rather than connection software to my 300 console; we would just use the console for more complex shows where I don't want someone else's hands on my iPad. ;-)

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Rusty

As far as I know there's no such thing as an iPad-based console, everything I've seen/tried involves connecting the iPad to an existing console and controlling it through the iPad.

Edit: By golly I'm wrong, see below.

Last edited:
The Luminair deals with Art-Net, if I am not mistaken. I don't think the old Strand SN-110 nodes deal with Art net. You will have to see if there might be a firmware upgrade that will let them, But I don't think that there is....

The Luminair deals with Art-Net, if I am not mistaken. I don't think the old Strand SN-110 nodes deal with Art net. You will have to see if there might be a firmware upgrade that will let them, But I don't think that there is....

That's what I was afraid of. I saw the Luminair app online, and it really does look fantastic. However, at $130, I really need for it to be proven to work before I plunk that kind of cash down. I assume my node is running ShowNet, or some proprietary Strand language. It looks like Luminair also supports the sACN E1.31 protocol. I just don't know enough about these protocols to comfortably make a decision about it.

I'm going to e-mail Synthe FX directly and see what they say, then I'll post back.

Here is the reply from Synthe FX:

Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately Luminair isn't directly compatible with the ShowNet protocol. You would need to use additional hardware to convert the Art-Net or sACN from Luminair into ShowNet.

Pathway Connectivity's Pathport nodes are capable of receiving Art-Net and sACN (and ShowNet) and converting that signal to DMX. They can also convert DMX input to ShowNet, Art-Net and sACN. So in that scenario you would need to use one of their two-port nodes. This would give you the ability to hook up any DMX control source to your system, including Luminair.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help.

Best regards,
Ryan Hisey
Synthe FX, LLC
Nuts. The Pathport hardware looks to be ~$1500.

Wow, three in a row. Sorry for beating the proverbial dead horse. Hopefully this helps someone else with the same situation.

I did a little research, and I think this may be the most cost effective method of implementing this. Pathway Connectivity makes a small "touring" ethernet-to-DMX converter:

Pathway Connectivity Inc. - Pathport Touring Edition

It seems to retail ~$500, which is much more do-able than $1500. This would basically eliminate the Ethernet protocol issues by inputting DMX via one of our Strand DMX nodes scattered throughout the house. Of course, it's kind of jury rigged, but the path would be:

iPad > WiFi > Wireless Access Point > CAT5 Cable (secondary "network") > Pathport Translator > XLR Cable > Strand DMX Node > CAT5 Cable (primary network) > Strand SN110 Supervisor Node > Strand CD80 Dimmers

I would suspect there may be some latency issues with this much translation, but you never know.

Forget your iPad, forget luminaire. Go Chamsys. Chamsys speaks shownet out of the box... and the software is free. It will give you more control then your iPad will and will come in cheaper. Do a search around here for more info. PM me if you want more info on getting it connected to chamsys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back