Control/Dimming iPhone RFU

I am not sure what the problem is, but when the Dr DMX is at full used with a scroller, the last frame does not position to the end of the string. The Dr DMX has a fader to control the intensity, and no way of monitoring the bit level being outputed. I haven't tested it any further as the intensity that it outputs at full is good enough for focusing and I doubt that the human eye could tell that it is not full.
Oh, by the way the scrollers do go to the correct position with both my express and my Micron 4D.

Hi all,
Just made a colaborative article on the subject thanks to all your suggestions. You can find it (add change it) here
Cheers
Nick

OK, I have erected the flak barrier to guard against all of the flak that I am going to get from all of you.
I volunteer as an ME at a community theatre that does 12 productions a year and we have just started our 39th season. Our method of focus is a bit simpler than most suggested. We use an American DJ "Dr DMX". It comes with a three pin XLR, which I have replaced with a 5 pin XLR. The suggested list price is $50 and to find the only connector that fits correctly another $7. I have purchased 4 of the units so far at $35 to $42 with shipping. The shipping on the connector from mouser.com is about $5, so I usually make it a larger order and purchase a number of other items I need to make the shipping more viable. I purchase Belden digital audio cable for 8 to 10 cents a foot at a great surplus store in Orlando. I purchase Pomona 5 pin XLRs from mouser for less than $3 each. All told, I have less than $60 invested for a quasi focus remote with cable.
I focus from the genie with the LD on the floor checking the plot and pushing the genie. Some of the LDs would rther be in the genie with me on the floor doing the plot and pushing.
Each of the 5 LDs that we use have first commented on what a crappy method it is. By the second time that we have used this method, they prefer it, when given a choice of using more people with someone at the board. If we can find a third person, they push the genie and run for things needed. In matter of fact, two of the designers have had me purchase and modify the "Dr DMX" for them to have for their personal use.
Now the "Dr DMX" can do up to 12 dimmer channels at various levels in the hold mode, so that you can check instrument to instrument focus. It is not a great device for calibrating scrollers as the "full" intensity is not full. But for focus who cares, and when the LCD display dies after being dropped for the fourth time or some scenic painter spashes it with paint, it is only $40 something to replace. It is so cheap that we keep a spare just in case it gets killed. Oh it also has a lazer pointer built in which is more fun than useful, and can operate in IR, if you can find a receiver for it. Also the instructions which were translated by a chinaman that thought he knew English, are less than wonderful. I wrote my own instructions and made many copies.
OK, now you can all tell me how using AMDJ crap is bad and how you would only buy a focus remotes that cost multi hundreds of dollars if not thousand, plus but what I save buys me more lighting instruments, and most of our lighting assistants are teenagers that the second a member of the opposite sex enters the theatre during focus, they will drop the remote focus device and proceed to move their attention towards the entering party.

I am cool with whatever RFU. But I refuse to push a Genie.

Mike

Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

From the website:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Lighting technicians and programmers love their iPhones® – and they want to use them everywhere. ETC is answering the call by allowing them to turn their Apple handhelds into miniature lighting-controllers. We are now introducing the iRFR (Radio Focus Remote for iPhone and iPod Touch), while donating all the proceeds to industry-aid organizations Behind The Scenes and Light Relief. The iRFR will offer all the functionality of an ETC Net3™ Radio Focus Remote unit, interfacing to ETC’s Eos®, Ion®, Congo® and Congo jr lighting control desks. The iRFR is supported in the current Congo software release (v5.1) and will be supported in the upcoming Eos release (v1.5).

Senior Product Development Manager Dennis Varian says ETC had continual requests for a device like the iRFR: “While we were asking ourselves how to price an application like this, Luke Delwiche from ETC Tech Services in London suggested we give the profits to Behind the Scenes (US and Canada/The ESTA Foundation) and Light Relief (UK/PLASA). We thought that was a great idea.”

While you are purchasing the iRFR application from the iTunes store you’ll designate the aid organization of your choice. The Light Relief or Behind the Scenes logo will appear as the iRFR start screen.

ETC software engineer Chris Mizerak developed the application with a view to making it as user-friendly and direct as any Apple application, with added peace of mind. Varian explains: “Since anyone who has an iPhone or iPod Touch can download the iRFR application, they have the potential to take control of a lighting system. So we implemented full security controls to lock out all unauthorized users.”

And because the iRFR application is purchased through iTunes, for iPhones and iPod Touches people already own, they install it and have it immediately -- no hardware or special factory-coding required.

ETC also makes purpose-built remotes, of course -- like the RFR -- for more rugged, collective use,” says Varian, “but this is a great personal device.”

And an added benefit: if you misplace your lighting-system remote – just call your phone and find it.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I think its great. RFUs are used all the time. Some venues only have a couple of folks on staff for lighting, plus, even if you do, its such a convenient tool for checking lamps, checking a cue, whatever. Its just there.

Kids today don't know how lucky they are.:angryoldman:

Now this is a remote!
proxy.php

Hi Folks,
Go to:
Pocket DMX™ iApp : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX™
For info on the New BCi Pocket DMX™ Wifi Pocket Console DMX® w/DMX NETPort™.

This is the I-App ya'll are waiting for. We have another update to make, but it is good to go. DMX NETPorts are not quite ready to ship, but you will be able to download the APP soon for free from the I-Tunes Store and noodle around.

We hope to ship DMX NETPorts in January.

Thank you for your interest.
Rob Baxter
Baxter Controls, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks,
Go to:
Pocket DMX™ iApp : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX™
For info on the New BCi Pocket DMX™ Wifi Pocket Console DMX® w/DMX NETPort™.

This is the I-App ya'll are waiting for. We have another update to make, but it is good to go. DMX NETPorts are not quite ready to ship, but you will be able to download the APP soon for free from the I-Tunes Store and noodle around.

We hope to ship DMX NETPorts in January.

Thank you for your interest.
Rob Baxter
Baxter Controls, Inc.

Is the DMX NETPorts an additional piece of hardware or could I connect my Iphone w/ App directly to say an Express console with a Wifi router?

Is the DMX NETPorts an additional piece of hardware or could I connect my Iphone w/ App directly to say an Express console with a Wifi router?

This thread explains all the remote options that Express supports.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/19995-etc-iphone-rfu-no-ranting.html

The DMX NetPort device seemingly uses a iPhone/iPod via WiFi to connect to one of the proprietary DMX devices made by
Baxter Controls and as such, is a variation on assorted DMX devices that send (and can receive) DMX separate from any console.

This thread explains all the remote options that Express supports.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/19995-etc-iphone-rfu-no-ranting.html

The DMX NetPort device seemingly uses a iPhone/iPod via WiFi to connect to one of the proprietary DMX devices made by
Baxter Controls and as such, is a variation on assorted DMX devices that send (and can receive) DMX separate from any console.

You are correct. Thank you for helping to clarify here, SteveB.
Our Pocket DMX™ app is free on I-Tunes and the BCi DMX NETport™ is our device that we make and sell to enable the Pocket DMX™ app to talk dmx using your i-Phone/Pad/Touch. It requires a standard Wi-Fi router that an i-Phone/Pad/Touch then talks Wi-Fi to...and this router in turn plugs its Cat-5 into the BCi DMX NETport™.
The DMX NETport™ then generates the dmx signal to go to whatever dmx devices that are in its dmx universe.
The DMX Netport™ also has a dmx-IN and dmx Pass-Through and it will act as an HTP merger device so that it may be plugged in-line with your existing main console's output as a thru-put, or the DMX NETport™ output can be plugged into the dmx-In on the main console...either way.
In the end, what you get is an i-Device that you can walk the stage or house with and call up either individual dimmer values or 36 Channels that have already been patched by you in the Pocket DMX™.
The NEW Pocket Console® DMX<sup>™</sup> iApp : Baxter Controls, The Pocket Console DMX(tm)

If you have I-Tunes software, while online, open that program, type "Pocket DMX" into the search window and hit <ENTER>. That will get you to the download on the i-Tunes store. For some odd reason, I can't find it on the I-Tunes store site through normal browser search use. I have to access it through I-Tunes program, then go into the App Store from there. We're working on that e-hiccup...stay tuned.

Feel free to let us know what you think.

Thank you.
Rob Baxter
BCi
The Pocket Console DMX
thepocketconsole.com - thepocketconsole Resources and Information.

Interesting, Im curious to see the DMX Netport unit when it is shipping. Any heads up on how much pricing for this unit will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back