iPod into a stage comms system

Hughesie

i heard a story through a mate who thought he would play some music through the comms system. (he was a lighting tech) he took a xlr to 6.5 to 3.5jack and plugged it into a ipod nano and it come up on the screen charging. how's that

it's a true story i witnessed it, then he disconnected it and it died.

Yeah, the stuff running in a com line would toast an ipod all right...

Com lines have somewhere around +30V on them. Nasty stuff for an iPod. If you want to get music into the Com system, use the Line Input port on the back of the master station.

Why didn't the idiot just tape his earbud to the mic instead?(note sarcasm)
Why the heck would you be doing that anyway?

12year old light tech, he isn't the most experianced tech

i saw the after effects

i saw the after effects

Well, this is just one more example of just because you can plug it in, doesn't mean you should do it. Scariest thing I have ever seen is a line array that had a specialty cable made for it that all of the speakon connectors terminated into a standard 19 pin soca connector. They had the output of the rack as that connector.

Well, this is just one more example of just because you can plug it in, doesn't mean you should do it. Scariest thing I have ever seen is a line array that had a specialty cable made for it that all of the speakon connectors terminated into a standard 19 pin soca connector. They had the output of the rack as that connector.

In the pro audio world, that is very common. Do a search on PSW and I think you'll find around 50% of larger companies do it. If you can't keep your cable straight, you probably have no business using that level of gear. If it's that worrisome, reverse the genders.

i saw the after effects

Silly kids.

I remeber that age when volts, and amps didn't matter. I had to learn all of this stuff the hard way.

In the pro audio world, that is very common. Do a search on PSW and I think you'll find around 50% of larger companies do it. If you can't keep your cable straight, you probably have no business using that level of gear. If it's that worrisome, reverse the genders.
Except that the gender is different.

Usually, they are reversed gendered, so at least you blow the rack, not the speakers. My only gripe about it was they did not clearly mark their audio runs. When you have 20 hands doing a show, you have to keep an eye on who's cable is going where. Never seen anything happen before of these getting mixed up, but it could happen. Basically what I was trying to say that in the audio world there are adapters to do just about everything, but just because you can plug it in, does not mean you should. At least in lighting world gender changers and such have less use, except for those wonderful cam-lock turn arounds that we all know and love.

yes but audio is a lot more.....consumer level

you can get cables like this from your local electronics store

can you find three phase converters?
or a 3phase to 3normal connects cable (thank god not)

Well, this is just one more example of just because you can plug it in, doesn't mean you should ...........................

God, If I had a nickel for everytime I've said that..........:oops:

< slinking away>

yeah
mutters underbreath *hijackers*

it's a strange story to think the audio jack is actually connected to the ipod's battery, i suppose everything has to be connected somehow :)

For the love of god, don't do it.
That tape break switch is the devil!!

Does anyone ever use tape in's? The only time I ever to is if I don't have any RCA to 1/4's or I just want to patch in and play something while working and all the channels are full. They are kind of up there with effects returns, useful on paper but if you got the channels just bring it back through a channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back