Iraq Wedding Fire Kills 100

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
Authorities on Wednesday said around 100 people were killed, with the toll expected to rise with at least 100 injured, including many critically burned. Authorities said highly flammable building materials contributed to the disaster. The tragedy Tuesday night was the latest to hit Iraq’s Christian minority, which has dwindled to a fraction of its former size over the past decade in the face of militant attacks.

There was no official word on the cause of the blaze. But Kurdish television news channel Rudaw aired footage of the flames erupt from the ceiling over a chandelier as the spark machines jetted fireworks below.
Reddit Thread
ABC News Story

Tragic event with by far the clearest video of what was happening.

And in what's apparently a common occurrence, fire exits were blocked and fire safety codes weren't followed.

The Reddit Thread had the full original video but it's been taken down. This CNN Video shows the initial ignition then cuts off, but that's all anyone here really needs to see anyway. Indoor fireworks igniting something flammable overhead. How many times have we seen this now? How many have died all over the world because of indoor fireworks and flammable things nearby? So sad.

The Reddit Thread had the full original video but it's been taken down. This CNN Video shows the initial ignition then cuts off, but that's all anyone here really needs to see anyway. Indoor fireworks igniting something flammable overhead. How many times have we seen this now? How many have died all over the world because of indoor fireworks and flammable things nearby? So sad.
My condolences to the families and friends affected by this disaster. The day should have been remembered as one of happiness and good will, instead it will be a day of mourning for years to come.

Every year on Feb 20, I post about The Station nightclub fire in West Warwick, RI. 2024 will mark the 21st anniversary of that disaster. I post about it because of the dangers of indoor pyrotechnics, lack permitting and supervision at the time, and the continuing venue practices of blocking exits, chaining doors shut, and poor/no emergency training for staff. But this wedding?

It's easy to dismiss a tragic event in another place, happening to people we don't know or may not think we've much in common with... but it's still our tragedy to own so long as we, as entertainment professionals, do not do all we can to identify these hazards and do all within our ability to prevent reckless endangerment of guests, crew, staff, cast, caterers... hell, everyone there. It's on us because we're the adults in the room when it comes to event safety.

Which brings me to my final point: join the Event Safety Alliance. Get their book on safety planning. Attend a conference or workshop. Proactively do SOMETHING to make our workplaces safer for everyone.

It's easy to dismiss a tragic event in another place, happening to people we don't know or may not think we've much in common with... but it's still our tragedy to own so long as we, as entertainment professionals, do not do all we can to identify these hazards and do all within our ability to prevent reckless endangerment of guests, crew, staff, cast, caterers... hell, everyone there. It's on us because we're the adults in the room when it comes to event safety.
One of "us" rented that fireworks gear to the people at that wedding and likely set it up and operated it for them. These are not rare 3rd world things that only happen because of lack of regulation. They happen here too. They happen because someone, who should know better, is more interested in making the money on the gig than the safety of the situation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back