Career Advice Is anyone familiar with Nashville?

Jkwoftw

Hey everyone. I only just discovered this forum a couple of months ago, though I wish I'd found it years ago to answer some troubling questions at the beginning of my working days. Even the most out-there questions seem to get answered on here, so I always enjoy digging through the archives.

Anyways, I've recently relocated from Boston to Nashville. I've gained some good experience with freelance lighting and audio work in Boston (school + two different subcontractors). I've found a pretty good number of concert production companies in Nashville, so I'm kind of overwhelmed regarding the application process. Are there any companies that the forum would recommend as a good/friendly/honest place to work?

Thanks very much for your time.

as a good/friendly/honest place to work?
Haven't been around the music business long, have you....

The big dog down there is Bandit Lites. There are several small production houses as well. There are a good hand full of freelancers who own some LED's and a console and run with the smaller scale bands. Your biggest issue is lighting is being cut from the smaller scales tours to both cut down on truck space (or more like trailer space) and to get staff down. But... call bandit. Its your best bet. Or go build cars in the Nissan plant...

Well, I'm not exactly looking to make dear old friends, and I expect that the work is seasonal like everywhere else, but I do hope to avoid any mistakes that could be easily avoided, like working for someone who is known on here to be sketchy. I really appreciate the advice and the info about the local scene.

Oh, I wouldn't go there. I know of one particular staging company that has some pretty sketchy business practices and hires anyone who can buy a wrench. That company, due to connections has made it into several states, underbidding other reputable groups. I think the question is quite valid. I don't think the one I am thinking about is in Nashville, yet. I know very few in that area, and of those, more on the video side of things.

Nashville must be a peculiar market:
Feb. 2011: LMG opens a Nashville Branch
Nov. 2011: PRG closes its Nashville branch
Jul. 2012: Christie Lites opens a Nashville branch
VER also has a branch there.

I don't quite understand the rise and fall of Opryland USA/Gaylord Entertainment as a resort destination/convention location. I also don't get why some jokingly call it Nashvegas. :(

Many tours, mostly but not exclusively country acts, are based out of Nashville. Do you want to tour? Lighting or sound? Pick one.

Oh, I wouldn't go there. I know of one particular staging company that has some pretty sketchy business practices and hires anyone who can buy a wrench. That company, due to connections has made it into several states, underbidding other reputable groups. I think the question is quite valid. I don't think the one I am thinking about is in Nashville, yet. I know very few in that area, and of those, more on the video side of things.

Would this company also happen to be in Atlanta, or are we thinking of different companies?

Probably thinking about different companies. No mention of an Atlanta office on their website.

Even tho they're a mfg., doesn't Thomas have an office down there? I remember taking a rigginng/truss class up in Chicago and the vendor said they chose Nashville because they were less than one day's drive from 2/3 of the U.S. population. If you have no touring aspirations, working there would teach you a lot about that end of the business, regardless of how much you already know.

JAMES THOMAS ENGINEERING, INC.
10240 Caneel Drive
Knoxville, Tennessee 37931 U.S.A.
TEL: (865) 692 3060 FAX: (865) 692 9020

They's in nox-vul, not nash-vul.

Last edited:
Also Morris Lighting and Sound is in Nashville.

i went to college in nashville. my former TD is working with a group up there doing lighting, sound, and video work and getting quite a bit of business from around the country, but i cant recall the name of the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back