Is anyone interfacing Unity Intercom to Clear-Com 2W?

Jay Ashworth

I see that you can make it talk to the Studio Technologies interfaces, if you can get Dante out of your inhouse server to it; is there any cheaper interface than those?

EW clear com LOL (im a die hard RTS guy). I have Unity tied into all kind of things. Dante, RTS 2W, ADAM, Zeus, ODIN, Glensound, Riedel...

You don't necessarily need Dante to do this. Any analog line level IO (Scarlett, ARX, MOTU, etc) on your Unity server can be used with something like the CC EF-701M, or an RTS SSA324. Either of those units will take a 4W (analog line level talk and listen) from your server and convert it into the 2W format your beltpak circuit needs. The RTS unit will convert 2CH of 4W, which you can use for 2 different CC single CH feeds, or marry them into 1 2CH feed for dual CH (3pin) CC/RTS devices. The downside to these interfaces is they require a manual adjustment for nulling to get the best performance - not hard if you know what you are doing but this changes with the number of belt packs on the 2W line, so needed frequently in typical setups. They can both be found on the used market for very little money. The ST M45 units will do the same for much more money, but they are infinitely easier to deploy with their standard XLR connections and auto-nulling feature.

Another option, attached is a picture of a Dante to 2W box that I built for around $1200 or so. It takes Dante from a POE switch and converts directly to 2W, the POE power is even enough juice to power 2 or 3 belt packs, or you can bridge it into your existing PS for as many as you want. It even has auto-nulling. See my MambaFiber page on FB for more detail. I do custom builds and integration too if you ever need.
88135318_3813956378629392_3450544736689979392_n.jpg

You know, Greg, you just made a great point: My FS-II base station *has* 4W ports on it; I don't *need* to hybrid; I just need to get the analog audio in and out...

And, for the record, I love RTS matrix; grew up on it. But the facilities I'm in these days aren't generally big enough to care; the FS-II system is the most expensive single component we've cut a PO for this decade.

You know, Greg, you just made a great point: My FS-II base station *has* 4W ports on it; I don't *need* to hybrid; I just need to get the analog audio in and out...

And, for the record, I love RTS matrix; grew up on it. But the facilities I'm in these days aren't generally big enough to care; the FS-II system is the most expensive single component we've cut a PO for this decade.
If you've got a FS-II base station you've got a great bridge to connect a lot of different things to different things. I've used it in that capacity many times.

Then getting from Unity into the 4W is just a matter of an analog computer interface and some 4W adapters. Easy Peasy.

Indeed. I'm wondering now if the impedances and power levels are such I could just plug splitter cables into each side of our PreSonus audio interface, attached to a MacMini adjacent to the base... or if I'll need transformers and such.

Indeed. I'm wondering now if the impedances and power levels are such I could just plug splitter cables into each side of our PreSonus audio interface, attached to a MacMini adjacent to the base... or if I'll need transformers and such.
4 wire intercom is just basic "Line Level balanced" audio, so you can usually treat it as such. When I've used analog computer interfaces to interface with 4W comms ports I've just made sure that the inputs and outputs are set to line lever "unity gain" so I'm not introducing a gain stage unnecessarily. But otherwise yeah. It's just an RJ45 to 2 XLRs adapters for Line in/out and you plug it into whatever you need to plug it into.

4 wire intercom is just basic "Line Level balanced" audio, so you can usually treat it as such. When I've used analog computer interfaces to interface with 4W comms ports I've just made sure that the inputs and outputs are set to line lever "unity gain" so I'm not introducing a gain stage unnecessarily. But otherwise yeah. It's just an RJ45 to 2 XLRs adapters for Line in/out and you plug it into whatever you need to plug it into.
Quoting and querying @crazycowprod : "inputs and outputs are set to line lever ".
Is that akin to a balanced audio prybar? Does it provide a mechanical advantage??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Quoting and querying @crazycowprod : "inputs and outputs are set to line lever ".
Is that akin to a balanced audio prybar? Does it provide a mechanical advantage??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
It depends on where you put the audio fulcrum in relation to one end of the audio prybar.

It depends on where you put the audio fulcrum in relation to one end of the audio prybar.
That would determine if it's operating as a class 1, 2 or 3 audio prybar. Does Fulcrum Acoustics hold the patents for their audio prybars?
Toodleoo!
Ron (Class Two) Hebbard

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
obviously if it's balanced it provides no mechanical advantage as the polarities are the same length. Only Unbalanced oudio does that as the two polarity are different sizes and so you can actual get a raise in the power of your output signal. I thought this was common knowledge.

EW clear com LOL (im a die hard RTS guy). I have Unity tied into all kind of things. Dante, RTS 2W, ADAM, Zeus, ODIN, Glensound, Riedel...

You don't necessarily need Dante to do this. Any analog line level IO (Scarlett, ARX, MOTU, etc) on your Unity server can be used with something like the CC EF-701M, or an RTS SSA324. Either of those units will take a 4W (analog line level talk and listen) from your server and convert it into the 2W format your beltpak circuit needs. The RTS unit will convert 2CH of 4W, which you can use for 2 different CC single CH feeds, or marry them into 1 2CH feed for dual CH (3pin) CC/RTS devices. The downside to these interfaces is they require a manual adjustment for nulling to get the best performance - not hard if you know what you are doing but this changes with the number of belt packs on the 2W line, so needed frequently in typical setups. They can both be found on the used market for very little money. The ST M45 units will do the same for much more money, but they are infinitely easier to deploy with their standard XLR connections and auto-nulling feature.

Another option, attached is a picture of a Dante to 2W box that I built for around $1200 or so. It takes Dante from a POE switch and converts directly to 2W, the POE power is even enough juice to power 2 or 3 belt packs, or you can bridge it into your existing PS for as many as you want. It even has auto-nulling. See my MambaFiber page on FB for more detail. I do custom builds and integration too if you ever need.
I am sniffing a little more closely around Unity this year, Greg; have you perchance already written up something here about it, and how you use it and with what, and how it works for you?

I've got friends using Unity intercoms literally all over the world. On "Productions That Matter®." Let me know if you want to do a deep dive and I'll hook you up with my buddies.

I've got friends using Unity intercoms literally all over the world. On "Productions That Matter®." Let me know if you want to do a deep dive and I'll hook you up with my buddies.
I am not quite at the stage where talking is called for; I'd prefer to still be reading for now. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back