Is College for Me?

And some still do (work in a theme park as a career).;) What are the odds of a Major Theme Park hiring a fresh-out-of-high-school technician? I know one used to have an unwritten rule that they wouldn't consider hiring even "rising sophomores" I guess is the fashionable term, no matter how much experience on the resume.

I know Dan Deming who's running things over there, and he's a reasonable guy, he's made one big mistake in hiring that I can think of but other than that one time he doesn't usually take just anybody. Though he is willing to give someone with less experience a shot if they blow him away somehow.

I should add a correction that you aren't going to get a glamorous job in a theme park straight out of high school, but you can probably get some sort of a job there and hopefully prove you are worth allowing to move over to a more glamorous job later.

Do you have any friends or family who live in "the big city" whom you could live with for a while? If you are going to be trying to piece together a living working in a rental shop and doing crew gigs, you really need to get yourself into a big city. But as Derek pointed out, it would be foolish to try to move to the big city to start a career without some support as it may be months or even years before you find any paying work.

Remember Gaff's rule: It requires a combination of Luck, Education, and Hard Work to get a full time gig in this industry. The less education you have, the more luck and hard work it will take. You can make it with no formal education but it will take you much longer to establish yourself. You have to work your way up from the bottom, running follow spots, sweeping the shop, and coiling cable. The years between now and when you can support yourself will be full of no or low income jobs.

All that said, one of my old high school students called a local production shop and asked if she could interview the owner for her senior project. He liked her attitude and work ethic, so he hired and trained her himself. Within a year she was running sound for a wide variety of local concerts. Two years later she was out on concert tour with no formal education just a lot of pure luck and hard work. So it can happen quickly. On the flip side I know a lot of very good technicians now in their late 20's and early 30's who are still trying to piece together a decent living working as crew for 10 different theaters. A few hours here, a few hours there, working their butts off in lots of grunt calls just trying to pay the bills.

I forget what city you're in, but Columbus always has a bunch of work options, The Phoenix/Catco usually have internships posted and I know that at times those turn into longer term jobs with them. There are also great options in Cleveland, Vincent Lighting pretty often seems to need help in their rental department, I've had a few friends cycle through there. We even have one of their team on the forum here, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

I forget what city you're in, but Columbus always has a bunch of work options, The Phoenix/Catco usually have internships posted and I know that at times those turn into longer term jobs with them.

If I understand correctly based on what I've done with them, for paying jobs they only want people with degrees.

Howdy all.

I know the sticky has some information, but this is really a specific problem.

I have been involved in educational theatre and community theatre since I can remember. Last summer, I interned at a larger local production house, and this summer, I worked with the local Light-Opera company. I love it, and I want to do it for a living.

However, here is my conundrum;

I am planning on attending Otterbein University for a BFA in Theatre Design and Technology. However, I am going to have to take a out a loan of about $16,000 a year-my scholarships only covered about half. That's going to put me in a lot of debt. And the people in that program have said that a job is not something you can maintain during school because the program is so intense. I'd love to go, but it's very expensive.

To top it off, since I have no credit-I've never had a credit card or loan before, I need a cosigner for every loan I've tried applying for. Well, my mother refuses to cosign because she has already cosigned all of my sisters loans, and doesn't want to take on any more. However, my father has terrible credit, and recently went bankrupt. So every loan I've applied for has been denied. In other words, I can't pay for this school.

So, is it worth striving to make it work out and be that far in debt for a career in theatre? Or should I not go to school at all, and try to get a job at a smaller production house? Or, do I find a cheaper school with a less-than-awesome theatre program and make that work?

What would you all recommend?

Thanks,
B.

StewTech, You most definitely answered your question regarding college, I think you should try to get a job and a smaller institution and get your bearings from there im sure you would have more time to digest the program be able to work and save some money.

As it would be less of a strain, you could get another job and save towards the college.. I makes no sense putting yourself in debt especially in these times where no one knows what the future holds economically its not worth it. Do the latter get something small now and work towards that goal, keep focused and your eye on the goal and you will make it there. Dont rush being in debt isn't cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand correctly based on what I've done with them, for paying jobs they only want people with degrees.

Ah, been awhile since I've worked directly with anybody around there, I did have at least one person turn an unpaid internship into a job.

I thank you all for your responses. You are all very supportive, and this is more feedback then I've really gotten from family and friends.

So I gather I should go to school, somewhere, and get some sort of communications degree.

It just frustrates me to work at community theatre levels as an intern and watch the designers work, and sit back and know that I could design a better show. I know it probably is horribly narcissistic, but I've created better light plots then some of these folks who are in a cushy salaried job have. When's it going to be "Rose's Turn?"

</rant>

But it is worth the four years at some school? I feel like they aren't going to teach me anything that I haven't learned, or couldn't learn on my own. In short, what I'm getting from this dialogue is that I need a piece of paper that says I have a degree in something-anything communications or theatre related?

I thank you all for your responses. You are all very supportive, and this is more feedback then I've really gotten from family and friends.

So I gather I should go to school, somewhere, and get some sort of communications degree.

It just frustrates me to work at community theatre levels as an intern and watch the designers work, and sit back and know that I could design a better show. I know it probably is horribly narcissistic, but I've created better light plots then some of these folks who are in a cushy salaried job have. When's it going to be "Rose's Turn?"

</rant>

But it is worth the four years at some school? I feel like they aren't going to teach me anything that I haven't learned, or couldn't learn on my own. In short, what I'm getting from this dialogue is that I need a piece of paper that says I have a degree in something-anything communications or theatre related?

No. You don't need **** to work. Getting a college degree for the sake of getting one as a "growing experience" is great. However, the debt following it is not worth it.

On my "per-diem" call sheet I have about 60 people. Some have 30 years experience, from Vegas to Broadway. Some have toured with some killer acts. A few have spent time out with the circus. Others have MFA's. Some have BFA's. However, on my "first call list" (about 10 people), one has an MFA, another has no college at all besides a short training program in Iowa, another has a degree in political science, and one has a degree in dance. Off the top of my head I could not tell you what school any of these people went to. One of the guys I have been calling regularly is on about year 6 of a 4 year program because he is working his way through school. I would put my per-diem crew up against any crew of similar venues any day. I know these guys know what they are doing. It did not take a piece of to make me call these guys. Hell, it really didn't even take a great resume'. If you are available and I have a call to fill and I think your not an idiot by talking with you for a minute or two, you get a job for the day. If you do well that day and I see you have a good work ethic you get another call... and it continues. A few months down the line I get a call from another venue looking to fill a call and I suggest you... and the cycle continues. Sooner or later a vendor loses a guy and they see you at gigs and they call...

You have to get lucky your first time. You have to be willing to do anything. You have to be a fast learner. You have to have KILLER people skills. You have to be good with names. You can't ever turn down a call. You basically need to be a sponge on the job. Read every book you can find. Read every thread here. Start learning audio, rigging, and carpentry. Read everything on LN. Ask questions on the job, just not too many. If you realize someone is willing to teach you, suck them dry. Finally, keep your head small. Your not going to behind the console. You are not going to be doing designs. You are going to be pushing box/plug in cable/pull rope get a banana. Eventually that work will come, but it takes time.

The life of a starting out freelancer is a hard one. You essentially don't have a resume' so its going to be even harder. In the short term get in where you can. At the same time go learn a trade.

.....At least you don't have to write any term papers.

... When's it going to be "Rose's Turn?" ...
I suggest watching the movies All About Eve and Showgirls (for examples of how NOT TO do it).

... But it is worth the four years at some school? I feel like they aren't going to teach me anything that I haven't learned, or couldn't learn on my own. ...
How wrong you (and Footer) are, grasshopper:
Just found this quote from Tom Skelton's obituary, full text here:
...A genial, witty man, he asked his students at the Yale School of Drama to study everything from French to Picasso to cooking.
"These are all things that make it possible to communicate with the other people you are going to be working with," he said in an interview in Theater Crafts magazine in 1989. "And I certainly don't think you should be studying amps and volts. I don't know very many designers who know very much about amps and volts. You hire an electrician who does."
It jives with Gilbert Hemsley's thoughts (previously discussed in this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/education/10913-college-university-technical-theatre-major.html ):
The lighting designer is expected to communicate with directors more and more. I don't deal with somebody who majors in theatre as an undergraduate. I want a history major, a communication arts major, or an English major. I want somebody who can talk about the history of the 19th century. It is crucial that students have a sense of time and place. It is impossible to do opera unless you understand the 19th century. Or the 20th. Thank God I had taken a lot of classics at Yale before I talked to Martha Graham. ... You can't get into those wonderful, fantastic conversations unless you do have a knowledge of the world behind you. One foot in the humanities, the other in the technical side. It's no longer Leko, Leko, Leko. A broad education is needed not only of the real world but of the humanities, finances, art, and architecture; then they can be a lighting designer or a person in the theatre.
Agree/disagree? What's more important to a designer, electrical calculations or Picasso's expressionism?
If you want to be a box pusher, spot op, ME, or even programmer for the rest of your life, don't go to college. If you want to be a good designer, you need the exposure to non-theatre courses that, minimally, a four-year degree offers.

Last edited:
you need the exposure to non-theatre courses that, minimally, a four-year degree offers.

I have to agree with that too. I leaned a LOT doing outside work during college and teaching myself stuff. Things that filled in what I wasn't learning at school, but getting the hands on with people at school in a shop ran by people who knew what they were doing made me better at all of it. I know I learned stuff in school that I wouldn't have picked up out in the world. At least not that quickly. So it went both ways.

I've been reading this thread with interest - and there is one thing that has not ( IMHO) been brought out.

College is NOT a trade school. ( or at least should not be used as one ). It is a time when you get a chance to try out a number of possible career paths to see what you might like to do. Just coming out of high school, it is VERY unlikely that you really know and understand yourself well enough to know what your passions will be 10, 15, 20 years from now. This is the time that you need to be laying a framework for whatever career you end up doing.

Now that does not mean you should automatically plan to go to college straight out of high school. Taking a year or two off to get some practical experience in what you think you want to do is a very good idea. ( and going deeply into debt sounds to me like a very bad idea )

As I re-read your post, it sounds to me as if you are not totally set on a career as yet.
  • Do you want to be a stage hand / electrician / Rigging
  • Do you want to be a designer. Scenery, costume, lighting?
  • Are you interested in stage management?
  • Are you interested in teaching theatre at some point?
  • What about theatre administration?
  • All /Some of the above?

Now for some of the things on this list, College is not essential ( although it might help you become a much more rounded person ). But for most of them, it will give you powerful tools that will help you get ahead.

Take that introductory Physics course. Then you will have a better understanding of force vectors and how to compute stress when you need to build something complex.
Take some intro to accounting courses so when you start your own production company you have some idea of how to keep books.
Take courses in art history and literary criticism so you can communicate effectively with your design team, and have better insights about what you are doing.
And On and On. If you find something fascinating - pursue it.

My point is that there is a LOT more to the business than learning how to do the mechanical work of drafting a plot, hanging a fixture, building a flat, etc. And you will need all those skills if you want to make it as a designer or an assistant in the world of professional theatre.

I think Derek said it quite well:
If you want to be a box pusher, spot op, ME, or even programmer for the rest of your life, don't go to college. If you want to be a good designer, you need the exposure to non-theatre courses that, minimally, a four-year degree offers.

You don't have to do it in one four year chunk. You don't have to do it at one school. (Gaff's comment re: community college for the first couple of years if cash is tight is a very good one.) You don't have to get a degree in Theatre. But you need that exposure to the wider world just because you don't yet know what you don't know - and there is no way you could be expected to at this point in your life.

Good luck Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take that introductory Physics course. Then you will have a better understanding of force vectors and how to compute stress when you need to build something complex.
Take some intro to accounting courses so when you start your own production company you have some idea of how to keep books.
Take courses in art history and literary criticism so you can communicate effectively with your design team, and have better insights about what you are doing.
And On and On. If you find something fascinating - pursue it.

Sounds like most of that would be in the baccalaureate core, commonly known as BaccCore being classes you would have to take to get any degree. I was touring Oregon State University last week and the average student anywhere changes majors 3 times, you never know what might happen.

Sounds like most of that would be in the baccalaureate core, commonly known as BaccCore being classes you would have to take to get any degree. I was touring Oregon State University last week and the average student anywhere changes majors 3 times, you never know what might happen.

That is true; however, theatre majors are very unlikely to change out of theatre, at least from the numbers schools have shown me. And it really depends on the college as to whether they would fall in the core. More likely than physics specifically would be some/math science and more likely than AH and literary criticism would be an art class, any history class, and any english (maybe specific intros to art, lit, history). The personal finance isn't something I've seen as needed for most majors anywhere.

All this said, I haven't looked at any colleges West of the Mississippi, so maybe different regions do things differently.

As examples of what BG required, you had to have at least 1 lab science as a major, though they had a geologic history of dinosaurs class which was awesome. Something like astronomy, and the department also requires a support field outside of the department that is pretty much what it sounds like, mine was education since that was the major I started with. There are a lot of great options and like zmb said many fall into the pool of take 3 of the 7 above etc. All schools have them, but some places give you wide enough options to take something you want to just for fun, or a class that might actually apply somehow to your major, like an art history type class, or british literature etc.

Also you can potentially work for them in live entertainment from April/ May to November depending. What is a bulk of your experience in? stage management, electrics, carpentry?

To be clear, my focus the past few years has been in lighting design and stage management. I'd like to try artistic direction some day, but I don't know if it is for me.

I suggest watching the movies All About Eve and Showgirls (for examples of how NOT TO do it).

So now I'm getting mixed responses. I've successfully designed period shows by simply learning about the area on a per-show basis. When I needed to design a period piece, I simply learned about the era. I'm afraid that I'm going to be $65,000 in debt and only be able to talk about the 19th century, or with the BFA program, be able to wire the stage and never be able to purchase a house, or have a family because I'm paying $300 a month until I'm 60.

So, now I'm getting mixed reviews. Do I need to get a liberal arts degree in something, somewhere, and just let the debt pile? Or is it not worth it?

The Skelton quotes are nice ones. However, it is leaving out one very crucial thing. A very small number of people actually support themselves only by designing Broadway an regional work. There are plenty of people who do industrial/concert work and do well but that is not what colleges teach anyway. Even than, very few of those guys are white gloved. Saying you can design and teach is not really an answer to having a career. Even after you land the college gig, the college theatre professional is one of the lowest paid members of academia.

To be clear, my focus the past few years has been in lighting design and stage management. I'd like to try artistic direction some day, but I don't know if it is for me.

So now I'm getting mixed responses. I've successfully designed period shows by simply learning about the area on a per-show basis. When I needed to design a period piece, I simply learned about the era. I'm afraid that I'm going to be $65,000 in debt and only be able to talk about the 19th century, or with the BFA program, be able to wire the stage and never be able to purchase a house, or have a family because I'm paying $300 a month until I'm 60.

So, now I'm getting mixed reviews. Do I need to get a liberal arts degree in something, somewhere, and just let the debt pile? Or is it not worth it?

If you want to be the next broadway or regional designer you are not going to be able to do that by going to school, IF you plan on paying for school with loans... and private loans at that. At the current federal loan rate you will be paying 750 bucks a month for 10 years. 750 bucks a month. That is 9,000 a year. That is INSANE. The average theatre job out of college pays 600 bucks a week if you are lucky. A design/asst fee for most theatres that will hire you out of college is a grand or two. The average summer stock pays 400-500 bucks a week. So, do the math. You will never be able to be a designer and go to school on loans. It just simply is not going to happen if you intend on every doing anything with your life. That sucks. I know. But it is the current state of the education system and economy.

Colleges have been set up to produce designers. Before college got horribly expensive you used to be able to carve out a living designing a few shows and playing technician on the side. It is not like that now. You now have to either pay off loans till your 40 or make 50k right out of college. The only way you can do that is with production jobs. The idea of becoming the next great designer is pretty much dead to anyone under the age of 30 simply due to the cost of the education. If you want to do that, move to a city that has a scene and start working for nothing. Wait tables during the day or sell jeans at the Gap. Society and the economy no longer has room for the intellectual with no real skills.

For some perspective, While at BG I did sound/lighting and scenic designs for our mainstage. I'm sure the student designs have gone down since the opening of the new building but the faculty is very good about getting students the opportunity and that'll likely come back once the faculty designers have had fun with all the new stuff. We did everything from mother courage, to winters tale, Trojan Women to importance of being earnest, and in the next two years they are doing Clybourne park, Spring awakening and Urine Town. So you'd get a mix of periods and style. I had a few years of college paid off from savings, but the last two years I worked in the scene shop on every one of the shows and had a huge chunk of my tuition covered for it. Got me out of there with no debt at all. Now with that education I have a full time teaching job at a private school making around $38k a year and I'm a year and a half out of school. I can't afford to buy a house, and I was living pay check to paycheck at times but that's also because I'm living in a city where things are pretty expensive.

As a comparison I just got emailed a posting for Cleveland Public Theatre offering up to $32k a year for a TD and you could live outside of cleveland and save a ton of money. So it's all in what you want to do afterward and compromises you are willing to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back