Is hanging XLR coils worse than putting them on a shelf?

kiersplat

I work with an older very experienced audio technician who swears that storing our cables on shelves is better than pegs because its easier on the cable. I can see a possible argument made that it will slightly deform the cable if left hanging for a long period of time but we wrap our cables over-under and tie up the coils with a velcro cable tie. I feel like the space savings of replacing some of our shelves with pegs outweighs the negatives. However I wanted additional opinions.

I work with an older very experienced audio technician who swears that storing our cables on shelves is better than pegs because its easier on the cable. I can see a possible argument made that it will slightly deform the cable if left hanging for a long period of time but we wrap our cables over-under and tie up the coils with a velcro cable tie. I feel like the space savings of replacing some of our shelves with pegs outweighs the negatives. However I wanted additional opinions.
Hanging on a nail or pegboard hook would concern me; hanging on something two inches in diameter would not.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I'm sure that, just like wire rope, there's a minimum bending radius that's allowable before the cable deforms. With XLR, there's also the foil or braided shield to worry about as well. Whether or not that's clearly documented is another story, though! It might be worthwhile asking Belden, Canare, or another cable manufacturer.

If you wrapped and hung your cables perfectly, exactly the same every time, so that the hook or peg stressed the cable in exactly the same places, it might be a slight concern. In reality, there is enough variation in the size of the loops that it's not the same, so the stress points are not repeated enough to matter to cable life. Cables that are made with quality materials and are well treated, last a long, long time. I have some cables that I know are 40 years old and still working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back