Is it just me, or is the c-clamp on this 360Q bent?

cclampbent.jpg
Nope, not bent--it was cast that way. Next to impossible to bend without breaking a cast iron c-clamp. I think I have a similar clamp; will look for it. I don't remember the manufacturer, but it wasn't Altman.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks. I know cast iron is very brittle but you can see how I would think that the clamp was somehow bent..

I remember seeing a clamp you posted that was bent like that on here before, Derek. I thought it was weird, but I've seen it before. Was it Kliegel (sp?) Bros.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will I get banned if I admit I like 360Qs? Colortran 5/50s, too, except for the field adjustment. Altman 3.5Qs, 365s and 366s- oh my. I love old and oddball fixtures.
proxy.php

*Edit: with some of those fixtures, I guess that means I like destroying gobos, too. Yikes!

No. In fact, I'll gladly trade a theater full of old strands and altmans for some source 4s.

I remember seeing a clamp you posted that was bent like that on here before, Derek. I thought it was weird, but I've seen it before. Was it Kliegel (sp?) Bros.?
Give the man a cigar!
6437-just-me-c-clamp-360q-bent-cclamps.jpg

Hard to see in this picture, but the Kliegl clamp does have a slight convex, or is it concave?, curve along its spine. Just not as severe as the one on the 360Q in the picture.

Attachments

• Cclamps.jpg
    Cclamps.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 655
Will I get banned if I admit I like 360Qs? Colortran 5/50s, too, except for the field adjustment. Altman 3.5Qs, 365s and 366s- oh my. I love old and oddball fixtures.

Nah, I like my 360Q's too -- mostly for their simplicity and user serviceability. Would I choose to hang a show using Source Fours over them? You betcha, but the 360Q's definitely aren't a nightmare compared to some fixtures I've seen. I don't know why, but I also like the shape of the 360Q. Just a really neat looking instrument. Come to think of it, the main gripe I've ever had with 360Q's is the fact that I can't rotate the barrel and they're difficult to bench focus in the air. If used within reasonable throw distances, even their output isn't much of a hindrance. Imaging could be sharper, but I usually have Source Fours or Shakespeares for pattern projection.

3.5Q's are also hard to beat for their size vs output. Source Four Jr is great also, but kind of weird looking. ;)

5/50's are great instruments too (which is actually kind of surprising). They represent a great value.

See? Nothing wrong with liking those "underdog" instruments!

No. In fact, I'll gladly trade a theater full of old strands and altmans for some source 4s.

Er.. Who wouldn't?! ;)

I like working with Source Fours... But I prefer working ON Altmans. Weird, huh?

Last edited:

Er.. Who wouldn't?! ;)

I like working with Source Fours... But I prefer working ON Altmans. Weird, huh?

I wouldn't, I like my strand 2206 zooms 1000x better than the s4 zooms. They're easier to focus, and the 15-40 range works much better for what we use them for. I guess I would swap out some of fixed beam strands for source 4's if I could get pacific's, pheonix's, or the new leko lites.

I work with a company that has a bunch of Leos. I would prefer a 360q over them anytime. I am going to start a thread in the lighting section about them.

So what advantages did the bent c-clamps have? Was it reduced weight or a larger range of batten size that could be used with it?

Wow, I haven't seen one of those bent c-clamps in 20 years. My guess is they were designed to be easier to initially hang on the pipe.

And guys it's good to like 360Q's. As much as the ETC crew would like us all to upgrade, we don't all have the money to do it. There are still millions of old 360Qs out there hanging around in smaller community theaters, churches, schools, and even the larger theaters have them in rehearsal halls and small second stages. Keeping them in good operating condition and learning to design with them, is an important task for you to master as you are starting out in the business.

Last edited:
*Points at Self* -> Agrees with gafftaper. Utilization of output differences between different instruments in the same family, meaning ERS, PAR, Fresnel and what have you, makes you a more versatile designer. It allows you to better understand light; the way it can be shaped and how it comes to be from an instrument. I purposely kept a few old 360 6x9, 6x12 and 6x22's around a theater I worked at so that I could use them for No Color specials. As they were from an older generation of the fixtures, without newer optics installed, the color rendering was especially Plus Green which makes for a very nice amber at lower intensities. Still have yet to find a gel I like that can come out just as nicely regarding color with a newer ERS.

...the color rendering was especially Plus Green which makes for a very nice amber at lower intensities. Still have yet to find a gel I like that can come out just as nicely regarding color with a newer ERS.

This is starting to sound like an analog vs digital thread, but in a good way :). "Sometimes you just can't get that analog warmth with digital!"

Plus new guys starting out are likely to find themselves working in smaller, older, lower budget productions which only have old gear or a mix of old and new gear. A designer fresh out of school who only knows how to use the latest gear is going to have a very hard time finding work.

For all you guys eager to go to pick a college that allows you a lot of access to designing with LED's and movers, the truth is you are far more likely to work with 360Q's on a regular basis than any of the latest sexy toys. If I were you I would make sure my college program has a meat rack somewhere full of 360Q's, 3.5" Box zooms, and a few ancient scoops and fresnels. Because when you first get out of college, that's the gear you will likely be using to try to make a name for yourself as a technician.

Plus new guys starting out are likely to find themselves working in smaller, older, lower budget productions which only have old gear or a mix of old and new gear. A designer fresh out of school who only knows how to use the latest gear is going to have a very hard time finding work.

For all you guys eager to go to pick a college that allows you a lot of access to designing with LED's and movers, the truth is you are far more likely to work with 360Q's on a regular basis than any of the latest sexy toys. If I were you I would make sure my college program has a meat rack somewhere full of 360Q's, 3.5" Box zooms, and a few ancient scoops and fresnels. Because when you first get out of college, that's the gear you will likely be using to try to make a name for yourself as a technician.

Plus, they have that nice, "analogue warmth" going on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back