Is it just me, or is the c-clamp on this 360Q bent?

Back on the original topic: I think this was over-thought!
I suspect it was just a sloppy dump from the mold box while it was still cherry and soft. Probably a lot of them floating around that way and probably happened quite often. Ever see a simple foundry in operation? Not a pretty sight.

I have a clamp that looks exactly like that. It is on a used source four. The source 4 came with an atman clamp used from a rental house. The other ones that we bought from that same rental place did not have "bent".

Last edited:
My school's ERS inventory is about 45% Source Four, 5% Altman Shakespeare, and 50% 360Q.

Our 360Qs are great, we have a large assortment of them of different vintages, ranging from 1996 6x12s to 1985 6x9s. My only qualm with the 360Qs is that they leak a considerably higher amount of light out the back compared to a Source Four or Shakespeare

Back on the original topic: I think this was over-thought!
I suspect it was just a sloppy dump from the mold box while it was still cherry and soft. Probably a lot of them floating around that way and probably happened quite often. Ever see a simple foundry in operation? Not a pretty sight.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

My school's ERS inventory is about 45% Source Four, 5% Altman Shakespeare, and 50% 360Q.

Our 360Qs are great, we have a large assortment of them of different vintages, ranging from 1996 6x12s to 1985 6x9s. My only qualm with the 360Qs is that they leak a considerably higher amount of light out the back compared to a Source Four or Shakespeare

That is true. To minimize light leak as much as possible, make sure the sheet metal "blast shield" (AKA cap gasket) is installed between the housing and lamp cap.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
That is assuming we have any to install on our 360Qs that are not so endowed... but I'd assume that Altman could supply us with a couple, as they are still manufacturing the 360Q.

That is assuming we have any to install on our 360Qs that are not so endowed... but I'd assume that Altman could supply us with a couple, as they are still manufacturing the 360Q.

Yeah, they just float between the lamp cap and bell housing (the studs on the lamp cap protrude through the holes in the shield) so they're easily lost. Any theatrical dealer could get you some (Barbizon, Production Advantage, Norcostco, BMI, etc).

Altman Light Shield, for 360Q Cap

I'm actually in very close proximity to the Altman headquarters in yonkers. The Tech director and I will be heading down there soon to pick up some rental equipment for Pirates of Penzance and a couple extra shakespeare lens pins, so i'm sure I can shoehorn some light shields in.

HAHAHAHA I was looking at the 366 spec sheet ( http://mail.altmanltg.com/publicsynergy/docs/BDBinDoc.asp?Id={13288CE3-BF28-49D1-9D94-5629AC87079B} ), and I kid you not, this is how they describe it:

"A compact, lightweight ellipsoidal spotlight which produces a high intensity sharp or soft edged beam"

I think the 366 is neat. However, I don't think it can be called compact or lightweight under any circumstances- even compared with other fixtures of the day. The only way their description could be true is if they were comparing the 366 to a Super Trouper. :lol:

For size reference is the picture below. I'm sure everyone already knows, but from left to right the fixtures are as follows (All fixtures by Altman except the one mentioned): 3.5Q, 360Q, 365, (Hub) "366", 366. The yoke of the Altman 366 is at waist height. The lens tubes are all fully retracted except for the Altman 366, which is fully extended to show just how massive the fixtures can be.
WP_000182.jpg

Does the 366 come standard with a 400 year old can of Pepsi or is that a bonus?

Does the 366 come standard with a 400 year old can of Pepsi or is that a bonus?

Why else would people buy them except to get a finely aged, fruitfally aromatic pepsi? Much like a fine wine. Though I had assumed Pepsi was selling throwbacks again

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gaff brother thats just the current Pepsi Throwback can. Made with actual sugar.

You guys are funny. Yeah, it's throwback- I put it in the picture for scale. But hey, if it'll find the old radial fixtures a new home, I'll throw in a whole case of that stuff for every fixture you take...

You guys are funny. Yeah, it's throwback- I put it in the picture for scale. But hey, if it'll find the old radial fixtures a new home, I'll throw in a whole case of that stuff for every fixture you take...

I have to ask, even though this got moved to an on topic forum, why do so many people use soda cans for scale?

I have to ask, even though this got moved to an on topic forum, why do so many people use soda cans for scale?

Product placement. I'm endorsed by Pepsi. Talking about ancient fixtures and the sight of the old-school can can really make people want to go to the store and buy old formula soda.

Kidding. I don't really know. For me, it was convenient to grab and I figured everyone knows exactly how large a soda can is.

When was the last time you were in the US and saw a pepsi can that wasnt a half size that was a different size than standard. Also, you intuitively know the size of a soda can, having held thousands of them in your life. Im in favor of a more "theater appropriate" scaling method and using a keg, but those are less common...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back