Is it possible to use dmx to control a HP-4 unit

Hi I was just wondering if it is possible to control a Lutron HP-4 dimming module using a DMX signal. We have access to 3 units that we removed from one space and we would like to reuse them in the new space that we are building. But we were hopping to control them using a DMX lighting board. In the old space they were controlled using standard dimmer switches that you would find in a home. As far as I understand they just require a 120V control signal, so would a standard DMX dimmer pack do the trick?

Usually the HP-4 is controlled via a Graphik Eye unit, but if you look at the wiring diagrams you are correct in that what is being sent to the HP-4 is in fact a full 120volt feed with varying voltage. SO I don't think you would run any danger trying to control them via a DMX dimmer pack, as you said, just using a wall dimmer worked. There is a warning about not running these hp-4 on a generator so there is a POSSIBILITY that the unit might not like the type of voltage feed out of a dimmer but I doubt it.

Lutron GRAFIKEye Technical >> Application Notes

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EBhVusAIFY4xYxSAg&sig2=W54yovuXwsHflq1RlUW2Mw

The link above gets you to the wiring diagrams, which all seem to show show that what the hp-4 does is simply take a 0-120 input voltage and then use that to control a larger load (as you said) so IMHO you should be fine
I'd borrow a dimmer pack and try it

Sharyn

Last edited:
It appears that you could control them from a standard dimmer pack, but the question is, why would you want to. These are only 2KW dimmers, the only gain would be if you were using 1.2KW or smaller dimmers to drive them. Since you would have to buy dimmers anyway, just buy the larger dimmers... it will be worth the increased cost for the reduced complexity.

Also, it looks like these would need to be installed by an electrician, keep that in mind when doing your planning.

-Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back