Is promoting my project OK?

Isaac Smith

Hello ControlBooth!

I'm a hobbyist software developer and lighting/video/audio/whatever tech. Over the last few years I've put my spare time into a project to make a free and open-source show control system, Cedar. (Website still in development, I'll shoot some demo videos this week if I have time.) I think it has potential and would love to find funding to work on it full time, is ControlBooth a place I could promote the project and a possible future crowdfunding campaign?

Typically we are not big fans of this sort of promotion. The New Member Board is the one place you can post once about it so we have a better idea of who you are and what you do in the industry. Shoot our fearless leader and webmaster Dave an email to see what he thinks, if indeed your product is open source and industry related.

~Dave

Typically we are not big fans of this sort of promotion. The New Member Board is the one place you can post once about it so we have a better idea of who you are and what you do in the industry. Shoot our fearless leader and webmaster Dave an email to see what he thinks, if indeed your product is open source and industry related.

~Dave

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/cedar-prototype-projection-mapping-demo.43971/

Dave, I referred Isaac's questions to moderators the day he posted here and we never garnered a response. He's posted some visuals of his work (linky above) and some about how it works, too. It's certainly in our industry. :)

For now, the point is moot. I haven't been able to raise much interest in the project so I doubt I'd be able to crowdfund it for any length of time. I'll continue it as a hobby project for the time being.

FWIW, I'm no investor, but the project does look interesting. I love QLab, but would be glad to retire the Mac if there were ever a media/show control solution that rivaled what it does, but on a Windows platform. It's particularly interesting to me with the OpenLighting stuff you mentioned on the site. I hadn't heard of that before, but have goofed around with the DMXSimple stuff from the Arduino library. I have one running as an architectural controller, replacing our older one that got zapped by lightning, but it is pretty limited in what it can execute without a faster processor and more memory. The Pi with OpenLighting looks like it would definitely be able to accomplish a lot and slaved to your software suite it could make for some interesting decentralized networking for lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back