Is The Hog 2 outdated?

Outdated, yes. You may have to be careful about fixture profiles. But, as long as the desk is in good functioning order, it will do everything you need to do. I have a couple designers locally who still prefer and use their Hog 2 desks.

I believe lightparts still supports it. I think they bought all of high ends parts. Give them a call before you make the buy... if the deal is good enough it might be worth it. Assume though at any time it will break and be a total loss.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have found the actual Hog 2 (2 touchscreens, 10 faders, 4 universes) to be a very finnicky console - freezes up, very sensitive to humidity, gotta adjust the 5 volt pot on it, things like that. However, the Hog 1000 and Hog 500, especially those of more recent manufacture (relatively, the consoles have been discontinued for some time), have served me well recently on numerous productions. I like the Hog 1000's row of direct selects up top. For any console of that age though, make sure to double-save your shows as who knows when a floppy will go bad. Had an old Echelon 1000 refuse both of my disks once losing 45 minutes of programming time because I had to go back to the third disk back.

Outdated in that there are newer versions. It'll do what you want, but I've also heard about it being finicky. I don't have enough experience with it to say for sure, tho.

We still have a few Hog 2's and a 500 floating around, but for the money Chamsys is proven and higher quality, and I've not heard too much about the newest Hog 4 yet. I'd hope to continue to see the flying pig as being competitive, but good luck with your Chamsys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back