Is there something brighter than an EVR?

Cburg

I am working in our 400 seat venue that has only been used as a classroom for the last 5 years. I now have 4 one act student productions coming up in the near future. The lighting system is made up of old Strand 4.5" zooms. (2205's I think) they are lamped with EVR's. Boy I forgot how dim those things are!

Does anyone know of a different lamp I can replace the EVR with that is brighter? The fixtures are so old that I almost do not care if I am overlamping them. My dimmers are 1.2K (not 2.4K) and the drops are twofered so I should not go over 575watts. I had a chart somewhere with lamps, bases, lumens, and watts but like my mind it is somewhere else these days... The EVR are 500watts with a E11 (Candelabra Screw) base.

I am hoping that someone knows a lamp that is somewhat like the HX-600 vs HX-601

Thanks in advance!

Cburg.

EVR is the brightest I know of. We have about 20 of those 4.5 zooms so I know your pain. All I can suggest is to make sure they are clean and the bench focus is spot on. If you clean them be very careful, it's very easy to cross thread or strip the threads on them.

Does anyone know of a different lamp I can replace the EVR with that is brighter?
Nope. This page http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSIMItem/bcrw/simid/2489/item.html shows the CT of the Syvania as 50° cooler, which might make a slight difference in perceived brightness.

I am hoping that someone knows a lamp that is somewhat like the HX-600 vs HX-601
The problem is the envelope in that lamp is so small there's not enough room to improvise a different filament geometry.

Keep the lenses and reflector clean, bench focus often (kinda have to with every lamp change), and hope for the best.

The problem is the envelope in that lamp is so small there's not enough room to improvise a different filament geometry.

Keep the lenses and reflector clean, bench focus often (kinda have to with every lamp change), and hope for the best.

if I could find a brighter lamp, I would try to work out a mode to make it it. The hole is the back of the reflector will allow a "FLK" or HX-600 to pass though. it is the base that has me stopped.

BTW: has anyone found something to lub the shutters yet? or is that still a dream!

Thanks to all replies ...

Cburg

Technically, not an EVR, but there is a nearly identical lamp, a Q500/MC-130V that would be dimmer. It is available in both clear and frost. Make sure an actual EVR is used, not the 130 V variation. Frost would also lower the output of the instrument.

Please don't hack and retrofit an off-book lamp into the fixtures. The fixture is not designed for the heat and will be a fire risk. Not to mention, A lamp with different geometry won't play nice with the optics of the fixture, and you'll just substitute one problem for another.

I guess it looks like I will have to wait for a 500watt LED that will fit the fixture. HAHA like I have a chance of that happening. But I bet it would be brighter and not as hot. (hot but not as hot as the EVR)

Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back