Is there such a thing as Theatre R&D?

chaostic

Just taking a moment to introduce myself.

I'm a wee bit older fellow (34) looking to get more involved in theater. I come from an established IT background supporting all sorts of systems from VAX to UNIX to Windows (if I must). Yes. I'm a linux person.

Finished my degree from Boise State in 2007 in Theater Arts (Directing Emphasis) with a Minors in Business. 1 child later (now 8 months) trying to find ways to accomplish some projects and feather out my portfolio which alas is quite barren.

Depending on how far I get on a portfolio I have been entertaining the notion of continuing on for a Masters in Entertainment Technology but with this economic downturn getting by seems to be the order of the day.

I have many radical notions of theatre but would love some feedback on where to focus or what tech theater could use in new tools or gadgetry. I'm used to building IT infrastructure from scratch using Open Source tools or making vendor tools work. Interested to find a way to make use of that background for new theater technology. I cringe everytime I see a Sony DVD splash screen for an in production video or that they used an actual live cellphone in production. But the some of those alternatives don't exist yet.

Anywho, just a quick intro...

Any thoughts or advice either on focus for theatre tech or portfolio ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew

Welcome to CB Andrew! Glad to have you here. I think you are in the industry at a good time for your particular skill set. In the days of software controlling lights, ACN in development, and all kinds of computer software for drafting, paperwork, etc, there are more and more computer skills needed in our industry. I have a PathPort distribution network in my facility, so essentially I am distributing our DMX 512 via a VPN. One of our light boards is actually a computer (Horizon software). The examples in the industry go on and on. I am sure your input will be off great value on many subjects here.

Enjoy CB!

~Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back