Automated Fixtures Is this right?

What kind of fixture is the image?

I am betting that your dimmer and strobe flags are reversed, as usually the dimmer is closest to the lamp so that when dimmed all the other elements are not continuously exposed to the light and it is less in focus. Also, it seems odd that the diffuser would be before the lens train as it would have much less effect there.

Clay Paky Alpha Spot 300 (I'm pretty sure). I was basing all of this on what I remember from a training session when our LD pulled apart a mover an showed us the different components, but it was a totally different type of light (Mac 250). I thought he had said the dimmer was right behind the lens, but now that you mention that it wouldn't make much sense. What could that part that i labeled diffuser be? That was a guess based on what the flag looked like-- but as you said why would you have a diffuser before the rest of the optics.

Actually, I have seen a mover where the dimmer/douser was right behind the main lens. I think it was an Elektralite (However you spell that). I don't think the design makes much sense either. I mean, haven't they ever seen a burned framing shutter before?

That is indeed a Clay Paky Alpha Spot 300 (just the 300 not the HPE variety), I can guarantee you with 99% confidence that the dimmer is closest to the lamp. I've spent the better part of the last year maintaining 575 HPE and 1200 HPE varieties of the same light and the dimmer is considered a critical point and therefore an expendable part (at $108 each) so I've replaced one or two of them in my time.

Also what you've labeled as a defuser Clay Paky is calling a rotating prism. The difference is arguable, but really it's a lot more of an animation disk than it is any kind of diffusion.

Very nit picky notes you may want or may ignore about your labeling:

Your zoom and focus arrow is pointing to the unit not the lens, the whole thing moves so you could relabel it "zoom and focus unit" and it would be more accurate, or move the arrow to the lens (the black part in the center). I would move the arrow because that lens is one of two lenses that zoom the fixture as the main lens also moves at different points in the zoom.

The 575 and 1200's only have one strobe flag, I doubt the 300 has more than one so plural is likely not necessary.

There are two color wheels an an Alpha Spot 300 but I sure can't see the second one, it should in theory be below the static gobo wheel (at least in the perspective this picture was taken)

There you go a few idea on things hope it helps.

This is the HPE version. I have higher quality pic than I was able to post (the forum size limits wouldn't let me post it). There definately isn't a second color wheel. The strobe flag is actually under the static gobo wheel (me bad on the first version-- I found that after I did it). But does anyone know what is in the area righ below the main lens (where I had labeled dimmer)? I can tell there is something-- but what is a mystery.

Thank you so much guys!

Actually one more thing-- (Note: I'm not saying do this or that it is a good idea- in fact it is a very bad idea if you don't know how, I just know that is is done by experienced techs who know what they are doing) do any of you pros have a pic of a mover that is on with the main cover over the optics off -- I am looking for a pic to show that it is actually a very tiny and focused beam of light until it gets to the lenses (and it would look cool). I can find youtube videos but no still pics. If anyone has one it would be very much appreciated if you could post it. Thanks.

Last edited:
You can choose to believe me or not that is your choice, but I'm telling you the picture you have is not an HPE. The HPE range has CMY mixing and the light pictured certainly doesn't have CMY flags. Looking over and over again it looks like for whatever reason the second wheel has been removed and the place where it attaches is visible.

Also the space right below the main lens (unless it is drastically different than other lights in the line) is vacant. What ever you see is an illusion created by the camera angle. Given that the main lens moves there is no reason to put any kind of effect between the zoom lenses because they will always be out of focus because you will never hit the focal point with an effect that close to the main lens.

I will get you some pics tomm. That is not the easiest light to see. Personally i'd use something like a cyberlight. I will take some pics of several different movers along with them being on. The highend x-spot is one of the coolest with the covers removed due to there are LED's that change color all over the place.

Going by what clay paky does. The motor up in the very top labeled dimmer flags is either zoom or it is frost. I cannot tell easily. I am really thinking it is frost due to there is only one motor, and i cannot see a moving lens assembly that would move th front glass.

Figure 20, Head.jpg

Here is the higher quality pic of the Clay Paky whatever for anyone that is curious. At this point it is not critical that I find out what the component actually are, bacause I'm already printed the hard copy to turn in and I'll probably switch to one of Tim's pics when he posts them for the digital version for the drama teachers.

Tim that would be awesome if you could post some pics or email them to me :). I've shown the project to some of my trainees and they've said they learned a lot. The one comment I keep getting is that the pic of the mover is too hard to see anything on. Anyone know why there are practically NO pictures of the inside of a mover online? I find it rather strange that I can find pics of movers wearing underwear (I'm serious) online though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back