Is this system installed correctly?

How does it sound/function for specified needs?

After the EQing it sounds amazing. The JBL Line arrays really sound great with it. However, there is a crestron panel that controls the stage jacks in which the system is pluged into and sending too much from the board makes it distort, but if i turn the volume up on the touch panel, Its louder, but it has a very noticeable hiss, even when faders are not up.

Too many links in the signal chain for me ... and you have no stereo.

Without looking at the equipment, my first thought would be to go stereo outs from the board directly into the main amps, LR -> LR ... you should be controlling the stereo mix, not some preconfigured DSP on stage.

However if the BSS Soundweb is needed to balance the line arrays (i.e. if there are multiple amps per channel), then I would look for LR inputs to the BSS and plug into those.

Without looking at the equipment, my first thought would be to go stereo outs from the board directly into the main amps, LR -> LR ... you should be controlling the stereo mix, not some preconfigured DSP on stage.

I'm confused why stage inputs don't hit the console, but my guess is it's so outside rentals can use the space without crew.

On the PA, Not enough info to comment back to OP -- but I will say that just because it's not using the Stereo Out doesn't mean it's not set up properly. You'd be surprised at which of the top venues in the country feed their entire PA with one send from the console.

99% of installed systems are "Super Mono" systems because in a sufficiently wide space without a lot of reinforcing PA (Delays) your ability to send stereo content is severely limited. While it is a bummer to not have as many outputs as you can for sound effects sourcing, if the system drive is primarily vocal or musical content a mono send is just fine. The most useless fader on any console for me is the Stereo Master fader -- I'm much more likely given one send to route it to a Matrix and set up Vocal and Band Auxes and route those to the Mono Matrix output so I have more balance control that isn't dependent on input faders. With two sends it becomes an L and an R Matrix outputs, I keep the Vocals mono and I make Band L/R auxes as I might do some light stereo imaging on the drum set or specialty instrument (Organ patches on a synth are the big ones).

However if the BSS Soundweb is needed to balance the line arrays (i.e. if there are multiple amps per channel), then I would look for LR inputs to the BSS and plug into those.

It seems like there is only 1 amp that feeds the monitors. I believe the mains are self powered. They are JBL But i don't know model number

Improper gain structure is causing the noise/distortion issues. Chances are the FOH console is connected to a mic input of the Crestron. Try plugging a dynamic mic in place of the console. If it works, then it is a mic level input, not a line level input. To properly drive a mic input from the console output, you need about -40 dB pad (attenuator) between them. The pad reduces line level to mic level. The pad can be inserted at the console output or at the stage mic jack.

Whirlwind, ProCo, and Hosa all make suitable pads. Select one with an input impedance of 600 ohms or higher.
https://www.markertek.com/product/imp-pad-40/xlr-impedance-pad-40db

The simple answer if any mix console audio is actually flowing through a Crestron device -- no, the system is not connected properly.

Correct physical signal flow is Console > DSP (Crestron Controlled) > Amps > Speakers.

If the signal flow is actually Console > Crestron Audio In/Out > DSP > Amps > Speakers, something's kooky. It's not unusable in this configuration, but it's bad form to insert Crestron audio processing into the signal flow when you have the BSS for that. Also, Crestron audio processing blows chow.

What @FMEng pointed is out is on the right track though. This sounds like a gain structure issue. Somewhere along the line a gain is turned way up/down at one signal flow stage and way the opposite in the next stage. By any chance was the console not originally intended to plug into this stage jack when the Crestron/BSS was installed?

Most systems don't actually use stereo. It's good form to take L/R inputs from the console and do an L/R sum within the DSP whether the speaker system is actually designed for stereo or not because some day it might be, but if the system isn't designed for stereo coverage there's no point for someone trying to cook up a stereo mix except for sound effects (i.e. a train passing left to right -- even if you aren't in the direct coverage of the Left speakers, you can get a spatial sense from the indirect coverage that a train is gradually passing Left to Right).

For installed venues, console directly into amps/speakers is both dangerous and user-hostile. With exception to pro venues that will occasionally bypass the house EQ for a road guy to do his own thing, the DSP serves a critical purpose of providing a flattened, peak-limited, balanced, delay aligned, cross-overed, resonant-frequency-notched tuning. Even in pro venues, this is how the house DSP's are set up by default and somewhere a password can be entered for the house engineer to allow the road guy to bypass the house EQ without giving the road guy enough rope to blow out all the drivers with.

The simple answer if any mix console audio is actually flowing through a Crestron device -- no, the system is not connected properly.

Correct physical signal flow is Console > DSP (Crestron Controlled) > Amps > Speakers.

If the signal flow is actually Console > Crestron Audio In/Out > DSP > Amps > Speakers, something's kooky. It's not unusable in this configuration, but it's bad form to insert Crestron audio processing into the signal flow when you have the BSS for that. Also, Crestron audio processing blows chow.

What @FMEng pointed is out is on the right track though. This sounds like a gain structure issue. Somewhere along the line a gain is turned way up/down at one signal flow stage and way the opposite in the next stage. By any chance was the console not originally intended to plug into this stage jack when the Crestron/BSS was installed?

Most systems don't actually use stereo. It's good form to take L/R inputs from the console and do an L/R sum within the DSP whether the speaker system is actually designed for stereo or not because some day it might be, but if the system isn't designed for stereo coverage there's no point for someone trying to cook up a stereo mix except for sound effects (i.e. a train passing left to right -- even if you aren't in the direct coverage of the Left speakers, you can get a spatial sense from the indirect coverage that a train is gradually passing Left to Right).

For installed venues, console directly into amps/speakers is both dangerous and user-hostile. With exception to pro venues that will occasionally bypass the house EQ for a road guy to do his own thing, the DSP serves a critical purpose of providing a flattened, peak-limited, balanced, delay aligned, cross-overed, resonant-frequency-notched tuning. Even in pro venues, this is how the house DSP's are set up by default and somewhere a password can be entered for the house engineer to allow the road guy to bypass the house EQ without giving the road guy enough rope to blow out all the drivers with.
How do i hook the condole to the dsp ? The bsck of thisBSS audio has weird pins

@baileypl Google "Euro-block connectors"
This old blind guy had invested about 45 minutes typing a lengthy, detailed, PM only to inadvertently hit a key and have it vaporize. I don't have the patience to retype it all, perhaps I'll list a few point form thoughts for you to research:
There are at least four large manufacturers including Phoenix, Cannon, possibly Amp, Amphenol Switchcraft Pass & Seymour.
There are at least four colors, Phoenix were one of the originators and I believe began in green.
Other colors include: Black, orange, grey and possibly blue.
There are at least two, non-mateable, contact pin diameters.
There are at lest two non-mateable, contact center to center distances. Some center to center distances are so close that two and three contact blocks may be forced into mating but the differences will be more readily apparent on larger blocks.
Some blocks measure a bizarre metric dimension but are manufactured to work with North American designed Imperial perforated PCB's on 1/16" centers. Contacts are offered in a variety of plated finishes, you'll likely find nickle for power and silver for audio / data. You MAY find gold-flashed contacts as well.
Also realize many Euro-blocks are designed to be un-mated and conveniently held in your hand or vice while terminating then conveniently plugged / mated once wired, metered and tested. That's about all I've the patience to re-type. Oh I despise investing 45 minutes to an hour typing, finessing, detailing and proofing only to miss-type one stroke and have ALL of my efforts vaporize. Too soon old. Too soon impatient. Happy Googling!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I wouldn't recommend that you do that. The DSP will need programming to configure an unused input. If this is a new system, contact the company that installed it and ask them to resolve what should be a warranty issue.

YOU don't. If this is a new or recently refurbished installation you call the contractor back in. There's a chance they mis-wired the input or, if they installed it according to design, that the designer may need to sign off on the change and the school/venue will have to pay for this change.

This also brings up the issue of if the OP is authorized to be doing this.

This old blind guy had invested about 45 minutes typing a lengthy, detailed, PM only to inadvertently hit a key and have it vaporize. I don't have the patience to retype it all, perhaps I'll list a few point form thoughts for you to research:
There are at least four large manufacturers including Phoenix, Cannon, possibly Amp, Amphenol Switchcraft Pass & Seymour.
There are at least four colors, Phoenix were one of the originators and I believe began in green.
There are at lest two non-mateable, contact center to center distances. Some center to center distances are so close that two and three contact blocks may be forced into mating but the differences will be more readily apparent on larger blocks.
Some blocks measure a bizarre metric dimension but are manufactured to work with North American designed Imperial perforated PCB's on 1/16" centers. Contacts are offered in a variety of plated finishes, you'll likely find nickle for power and silver for audio / data. You MAY find gold-flashed contacts as well.
Also realize many Euro-blocks are designed to be un-mated and conveniently held in your hand or vice while terminating then conveniently plugged / mated once wired, metered and tested. That's about all I've the patience to re-type. Oh I despise investing 45 minutes to an hour typing, finessing, detailing and proofing only to miss-type one stroke and have ALL of my efforts vaporize. Too soon old. Too soon impatient. Happy Googling!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Great advice! I understand not wanting to type it out...

Thank you again!

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

So i could use one of these to wire it in to the dsp?

What Ron was trying to get across is that there is no standard for that connector, and many, many variations. You have about a 10% chance of it fitting the BSS.

More importantly, if you configure the BSS wrong to enable that input, there is a strong chance of seriously damaging your system. It isn't hard to blow up a bunch of speaker drivers.

The thing is, we don't know you or your level of experience and knowledge. But, IMHO, if you have to ask about using an adapter like that, you are not qualified to do this work. That's not a knock, because we all start at the bottom and keep learning. You don't know what you don't know. Again, contact the system installer. Option B, would be to use the pad on the mic input, which will get the job done without risk or much expense, and it will sound fine.

Last edited:
So I could use one of these to wire it in to the dsp?
@baileypl Notice your adapter from Hosa specifies the Euroblock as having a 3.08 mm pitch, they're telling you it measures 3.08 mm on centers between its contacts. This MAY or MAY NOT align with your BSS and will require accurate measurements on your part. Often it's easier / more conveniently accurate to measure across a contiguous row of 8, ten, or more contacts and divide your measurement to obtain the accurate dimension between centers. When it comes to Euro-block sizes there are no standards yet there are many standards somewhat akin to the many standard ways in which the computer industry wires DB9's, 15's, 25's, 37's and 50's. Capiche? (Sp?) Standards are great, we've got so many of them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back