Is this the scroller I ordered?

pfalvi

Hi all,

With Wybron closed, I wasn't sure who I should ask and this seemed like the best place.

I ordered a scroller with this description:

"Used 4" Wybron Model #4500 Forerunner Scrollers with Existing Gel Strings

Enjoy 16 frames of vivid color with the Forerunner™, an economical scroller that fits nearly every common theatrical lighting fixture.

Reliable, inexpensive and easy to use, the Forerunner is perfect for simple shows that don't need the full range of features available in the Coloram or CXI.

The Forerunner's Autoload feature makes installing gelstrings simple, and with Wybron's ColorExpress IT service, it's easy to order additional gelstrings.

The position of the gelstring is controlled by one channel of DMX512 on a standard lighting console, and the fader's position is proportional to the gel's position, allowing the operator to manipulate partial gel frames.

For extended gel life, the Forerunner features a quiet but effective fan."

I've attached a photo of the scroller I received.

Am I crazy, or is this actually an original Coloram scroller? I've read that the original is incompatible with the Forerunner PSU and I don't want to destroy the unit if I'm wrong.

Should I contact the company I ordered from and get my money back?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 366
From memory, the Wybron scroller line was:
Coloram
Coloram II
Forerunner
Coloram IT

The picture is a Coloram - definitely not a Forerunner. I would send it back.
-Todd

Sent from a mobile device

Think they had The Scroller as well. Might have a few around. Power supply was on-board each unit and fans were noisy as hell.

A designer I work with still has a stash of ~40 fully functional "The Scroller"s that he pulls out a few times a year. It's a testament to Wybron's build quality that he can still keep them going.

My tours used to run with the old analog version of "The Scroller". We eventually upgraded them to the DMX version, and then swapped them out for a mix of forerunners and Apollo smart colors.
That being said, both apollo and wybron products were excellent, but lately I have had better luck with the Apollo. Forerunners tend to blow their circuit board when the motors fail. AND, since there is not an easy way to tell that the motor failed, when you replace the blown board, it smokes the replacement as well.

That being said, Wybron's customer service was top notch, and they guys that formed Gel services Inc have continued that tradition. Absolutely fantastic customer service!

As for Apollo, Sorry @Kelite , I can't comment on Apollo's customer service, because I haven't had one fail yet.
Although, that is a testament in itself. I have ~24 Smartcolor pros split between 2 tours, running ~300 shows in 40-50 cities year, and have yet to have a problem.
Overall I am a big fan of the product. Now if they could only get rid of the scroller return line I would think they are perfect.

Thank you for the kind words Joshua!

We build the Smart Color PRO scrollers, MXR scrollers, SmartMove gobo rotators and 200W, 400W, and 600W PSU's and the Apollo Right Arm in our Ft Wayne IN facility. Quality lighting products made in the good ole US of A! ;)

Just so you know, the colorram is a better product AND worth more than the forerunner. The forerunner was the low-end model

True. But a working scroller is better than a superior product that he can't turn on. He would need to invest in a new PSU to make his Coloram work.

<True. But a working scroller is better than a superior product that he can't turn on. He would need to invest in a new PSU to make his Coloram work.>

Good point Michael-

Someone has offered me some slightly used Forerunners. They are priced really low compared to new Apollos. How would they compare to say SmartColorPRO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back