Control/Dimming iSeries E 96 dimmer rack configuration software

Quarks

Hello everyone,

I work in higher education and I'm trying to install some LED fixtures (American DJ PAR Z100) in our old theater. We would like to utilize the existing power from the dimmer rack ( iSeries E 96 ) by converting the stage pin to powercon. In the dimmer rack manual it talks about setting the dimmer to non-dim mode and disabling line regulation--using the handheld terminal or configuration software. The handheld terminal is out of our budget listed on goknight for $2500. Does anyone know where we can download the configuration software? We found a manual titled "iSeries PC Program User's Guide" It refers to the software as "i Series PC program" and a screenshot within shows it as DOS software "Configuration Program 1.35". I have searched all of these terms but haven't had any luck finding a software download.

If we can't find the software to set the dimmer to non-dim and can only set the lighting board to a non-dim fader (our current setup), what else would we need to play nice with the LED fixtures? The issues we found with our current setup is the LED fixtures flicker/blink when lowering the non-dim fader when no longer needed.

If we add the ETC colorSource relay would that solve the flicker/blink problem? And is the dimmer's power regulation something we need to be concerned about with LED fixtures?

Much appreciated,
Quark

The software is indeed DOS based. I have never tried to run it in a virtual box. The issues are going to be with serial access and disk access. If I remember correctly (I could be miss-remembering the wrong outdated DOS based configuration utility....) if can only read/write from a floppy.

The handheld terminal was included (mounted on the door of rack 1 and plugged into the processor on the bottom) in most installations. Might you already have a handheld and not know it (how cool could that be!?)

An ETC Colorsource relay will only be helpful if it is powered off of a constant, not-attached-to-the-dimmer-rack source of power.

SERIES (STANDARD) CONFIG DIMMERS TO NON‐DIM [CONFIG RACK] [S1=PASS] [5625] [S1=OK] [S2=DIMS] [S1=ATTR] [ENTER DIMMER # TO CHANGE] [NEXT TWICE] [40%] [ENTER] [S4=EXIT] [S1=YES (TO ACCEPT CHANGES)] [S4=EXIT] [CONFIG RACK] [S4=EXIT]

I work in higher education and I'm trying to install some LED fixtures (American DJ PAR Z100) in our old theater. We would like to utilize the existing power from the dimmer rack ( iSeries E 96 ) by converting the stage pin to powercon. In the dimmer rack manual it talks about setting the dimmer to non-dim mode and disabling line regulation--using the handheld terminal or configuration software. The handheld terminal is out of our budget listed on goknight for $2500. Does anyone know where we can download the configuration software? We found a manual titled "iSeries PC Program User's Guide" It refers to the software as "i Series PC program" and a screenshot within shows it as DOS software "Configuration Program 1.35". I have searched all of these terms but haven't had any luck finding a software download.

If we can't find the software to set the dimmer to non-dim and can only set the lighting board to a non-dim fader (our current setup), what else would we need to play nice with the LED fixtures? The issues we found with our current setup is the LED fixtures flicker/blink when lowering the non-dim fader when no longer needed.
I don't think it is worth spending much time reconfiguring the dimmer rack as I don't think it will solve the problems you are seeing. The issue is that the LED fixtures are designed to run from constant power and not from a dimmer rack.
If we add the ETC colorSource relay would that solve the flicker/blink problem?
Yes, this will disconnect power from the fixture.
And is the dimmer's power regulation something we need to be concerned about with LED fixtures?
At the moment, you are getting away with running the LEDs from a dimmer but it is not recommended.

If I recall the only reasonable way to configure the iseries E was through the terminal. Once they added the E to the name they nixed the standard 9-pin serial port and put a HH terminal port in its place. The manual makes no mention of computer configuration, and the iseries software doesn't say it supports iseries E racks. Realistically you will need constant power for LEDs, dimmers in non-dim mode arent a great idea in this scenario. I believe Leviton still sells constant modules for the rack, or if you want dedicated relay modules, Steve Short over at Lite-Trol makes some good ones I've had personal experience with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back