ISO Greased Lightning rental/purchase

tdtastic

Looking to get our hands on a prop car for our summer run of GREASE. Looking to rent or purchase near the Alabama area or surrounding states. Will travel to pickup.

I'd also welcome any advice or pics of your own car projects that you built yourself -- if we have to go that route I'm open to all sorts of ideas but the last thing I want to do is build another damn car. We just did RAGTIME and HANDS ON A HARDBODY and I am sooooooooo over automobiles on stage....

Holy crap us too! We had a re-framed real exterior all riding on zero-throws that were way too small -- I had to replace entire sheets of our maso top skin near center where that damn truck kept getting rolled around....

I had the back 3/4's of a '66 chevy van onstage for the set of Little shop once, the doo-whop girls entered from there. Luckily it just had to look like it was on blocks. The Band surround, on the other side of the stage was a '67 Ford pickup bed. no floor just the sides and tailgate.

Anyway, sorry no leads and WAY too far away to help...

Don't forget Full Monty. For that, we used my decommissioned Geo Metro. Posted on craigslist and someone came out and stripped the (blown) motor and tranny, fuel system, etc (labor in exchange for keeping the parts). Then we welded casters to the axels behind the wheels, which was a pain.

lightning2.jpg
lightning2.jpg
lightning1.jpg

I kitted out a golf cart. Lights worked, they could drive it on stage through the center door underneath the elevated orchestra. Lauan takes the hood bend nicely The fender arches were poster board then saturated with a bit of glass cloth and fiberglass resin. Some bondo here and there, Chrome gits from the surplus store, and an awesome paint job by a talented art student. Plexi windshield barely visible Whole thing was the front clip and 2 back panels. Original design was based on the kids meal box from the maid rite.. no compound curves but I thought very visually pleasing. 4 day build under pressure when plan A failed and my daughter came home one night saying "Daddy......."

Looking to get our hands on a prop car for our summer run of GREASE. Looking to rent or purchase near the Alabama area or surrounding states. Will travel to pickup.

I'd also welcome any advice or pics of your own car projects that you built yourself -- if we have to go that route I'm open to all sorts of ideas but the last thing I want to do is build another damn car. We just did RAGTIME and HANDS ON A HARDBODY and I am sooooooooo over automobiles on stage....

What did you end up doing for your Grease car? The people who were supposed to build ours had to cancel on us (in Atlanta) and now I'm frantically trying to find one so I don't have to make it for our show the last week of Feb.

What did you end up doing for your Grease car? The people who were supposed to build ours had to cancel on us (in Atlanta) and now I'm frantically trying to find one so I don't have to make it for our show the last week of Feb.

We ended up overhauling a real 48 Chevy. It ended up being a ton of work but we had a full-sized car onstage. Lots of welding and bondo work. Definitely was a monster of a project. It was big and hard to move but it was a show-stopper. We no longer have it though I'm sorry to say.

IMG_2387.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg

006.jpg
089.jpg
IMG_2451.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back