Issue with exclusive high school theatre

I tried to post the same thing earlier. If you went around me to my principal - which has happened a few times with actors who were not cast - you're very quickly on my bad side, regardless of the circumstances. Right or wrong, there sort of an assumed authority that goes with the director's position. If the principal does for some reason override the teacher and force them to take you, it sure isn't likely to be a warm reception. In a working theater, community or professional, jumping the chain of command like that will burn bridges very quickly.

I run a closed program - if you're not in the class, you probably won't be onstage or on the crew. Not only do class numbers benefit my job and the number of class sections I can have, but those students receive daily training and information. We hold crew meetings during class, and many students make sacrifices like taking summer classes in order to fit my classes into their schedule. I cannot, in good conscience, pass them up for students outside of the class. I also think it's like players on the football team. You have to try out, and attend every practice, you can't just walk onto a field for a game. Every other school discipline seems to work this way - dance, orchestra, music - but for whatever reason theater is typically open to the entire school. I also think the school plays are learning opportunities, and it benefits my program for my students to be the ones receiving hands on training. Students outside of the class are still welcome to try out, but I tell them from the start that opportunities are limited. Crew positions are almost nonexistant.

My advice would be to take into consideration that it's only one year. Do what others have suggested and volunteer as much as you can, even if you're just ushering. If the teacher is any good, they'll notice your work, and when you can enroll in the future you'll start on their good side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back