It pays to be a stagehand...

Try to be glad you get paid. :] I do all my work at the arts high school for the overwhelming passion and love and magic I feel when engaging in this splendid craft... :rolleyes: Actually, they tried to make us pay fees to work shows. The TD came up with a spreadsheet of how much a union crew would cost them. Needless to say, we don't pay to work.

Just wait for college. That's all you do.

I'll disagree with that, and here's how: I do a grand total of about 90 minutes of work a night, get paid for a full eight hours. Why? Because for 20 minutes during that time all I must do is keep one human being alive 100 feet in the air on my automation rig.
And that's **** hard to quantify.
I'm grossing $50k/yr. Come see my palatial 800 sq.ft. rental house in fabulous SoCal. I live like a king!

Thats not too far off from what I make when overtime and events are added to my salary, and yet I'm still able to pay the mortgage on my 650 sq. ft. condo.

It's not white color office work, its blue collar work. No, its not working at a steel mill, but its physical work no matter what. You don't see people wearing suits the entire day at a gig.

Aren't we more on the lines of black collar workers? After all, an almost entirely black wardrobe is one of our occupational hazards.:rolleyes:

yeah i'm in a bind when it comes to cars. i can't afford much in gas but the cheapest cars i can buy (literally the only ones in my >$2000 USD price range) are Chevy S10s, which eat gas like there's no tomorrow. so either i can buy a car and never drive it or not buy a car. the second one sadly is not an option, i *NEED* a car where i live.

I've been there. Of course, here in Southern California with our almost non-existent public transportation, (The nearest bus stop is 2 miles from my house.) a car is absolutely necessary if you want to work in this industry.

Try to be glad you get paid. :] I do all my work at the arts high school for the overwhelming passion and love and magic I feel when engaging in this splendid craft... :rolleyes: Actually, they tried to make us pay fees to work shows. The TD came up with a spreadsheet of how much a union crew would cost them. Needless to say, we don't pay to work.

All your work? Does that mean we don't have to pay you anymore?:mrgreen:

All your work? Does that mean we don't have to pay you anymore?:mrgreen:

I believe it was "all my work at the arts high school". Not "all my followspot work for C-dub's tableau vivant show" or "all my freelance technical or design work" in case any other people I've worked with are on here getting any smart ideas... :!:
Hehehee.

Students will be allowed to move their own music stands.... what an honor. It does take some serious skill to move drums and marimbas... That is why every drum tech I have ever worked with is always the smartest person on the show...o_O

Students will be allowed to move their own music stands.... what an honor. It does take some serious skill to move drums and marimbas... That is why every drum tech I have ever worked with is always the smartest person on the show...o_O

That was never the issue. The issue was whether Carnegie was going to have students, or non-union stagehands load n the rental piano, or extra sound gear needed for an event (cause you know that's going to happen), or go up in a Genie to change the blown S4 lamps. Carnegie refused to bargain for those (few) positions (13 months and no deal). Carnegie made a lot of noise about "how Local One doesn't work in educational venues", when they knew full well that was not the case.

The local currently represents professional stagehands at something like 7 of the City University campuses, all which have educational programs in the performing arts. The contracts recognize under what circumstances a Local One person is to be hired, typically when a professional is needed to go find all the scattered music stands around the building that the students won't remember to put back in storage. Or to turn on tthe lighting or sound systems that the students (usually a drummer) or professors haven't a clue to operate. And to make sure all the systems and equipment is working for the performance. That's what professionals do. Yes, it could have been done by lower paid non-union that Carnegie could hire, but the Local's attitude was "we represent stagehands in this building already, have done so for 100 years and want our members to work in the new space(s)". Nothing wrong in that.

As to the $400,000 per year ?. The contract for the new space calls for one or two Local One crew as staff. They will certainly not be making $400,000. The CUNY rate is about $25-$28 per hour. though I would imagine the add'l Carnegie rate will be loser to the $38 that is typical for the local. If they work 40 hrs for the entire year they might make $78,000 or so. Not bad, but not great either for NYC. One of the positions I think is going to be an apprentice position as well, so they make a lot less.

Bottom line was that Carnegie was trying to break the power the local had in a performance space where the management demands perfection and gets it, every show. That's why the heads live at the theater during the season and make $400,000, to make sure everything is perfect. And FWIW, I have NEVER heard or read from anyone in the Carnegie management complain in the press about those $400,00 salaries. That's cause they know the folks earned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back