It really wasn't my fault!

A couple years ago on the advice of someone on CB, I downloaded the free version of Q Manager (for PC). It's great for running music and sound cues and I still use it all the time (just used it for Nutcracker). Unfortunately, it seems to have disappeared from downloadability. I HATE using iPods to run sound for shows. ITunes and any other media players are also a pain in my opinion.

Had a show recently. Show finished, house lights back up...but they didn't. Someone had knocked out the cable to the house lights or something. I'm sitting there at the lighting desk with all the audience filing past me on the way out in darkness.

Another show I was involved in (filming, not doing lights), the house lights came up in the middle of a show. The lighting op is panicking and wondering what happened, they didn't touch anything, the SM is getting angry, people are getting confused.
Turns out that someone had accidentally flicked the lighting switch in the sound booth.

Hahahaha...

Last year at a huge (500+ kids) middle school camp worship service we hear a POP! and suddenly no lights, no front of house, but monitors are working fine.

We don't know that at this point, so we check out generators (the original ones were faulty and we had to get replacements), then the distro, finally someone tells us that monitors are still working so we start at the power split and trace. Turns out a kid was swaying to the music and pulled a plug apart (why you would leave an exposed plug in the house without taping it I will never know, sound guys, geez).

Mike

I've been in the "it's the sound guy's fault" situation before. I hate it when people pawn of their own shortcomings in organization and ability to perform on the technical staff. They've also pawned things off on me as "technical issues" before, in which case every single last person glances over their shoulder at me sometime during the 30 seconds that follows that statement.

I've had some brilliant "why didn't you tell me before?" moments. Working a gig over at the small student venue on campus, the arts residential college is having a mini-talent show for themselves. I haven't been told any technical requirements. I arrive and find that I need to connect audio for a projector and set up 3 individual microphones for performance and also run CDs in something along the lines of negative time. They're also rather technology dumb, so they need help with the projector. It's a bunch of folks that I kinda know, so I help them. But none of the audio levels match on the audio from the computer - always fun. Whenever they're about to start a video clip, I'd push the fader down and bring it up until it was at a good level. However, I worked like crazy for that event, so I spent my own sweet time cleaning up and coiling all of the cables perfectly and make sure that everything was stored properly whether or not it had been at the start of the gig - basically took an extra half hour of billed time to clean up.

I always end up putting one of the people there in charge of the CDs and making them hand me them one by one and tell me what track. I don't write anything down. For dance shows, I drop everything in to Qlab. Makes my life easy.

I've been in the "it's the sound guy's fault" situation before. I hate it when people pawn of their own shortcomings in organization and ability to perform on the technical staff.

Okay folks. It's time for today's lesson in assigning blame.:rolleyes:

Now repeat after me.:think:

It's the new guy's fault!:twisted:

Now, do you think you can all remember that?:mrgreen:

Last edited:
I've been in the "it's the sound guy's fault" situation before. I hate it when people pawn of their own shortcomings in organization and ability to perform on the technical staff.

That's because everyone knows how to do two jobs:

Theirs, and sound.

Okay folks. It's time for today's lesson in assigning blame.:rolleyes:

Now repeat after me.:think:

It's the new guy's fault!:twisted:

Now, do you think you can all remember that?:mrgreen:

Unless you're the new guy... :twisted:

Then it was the guy who trained you!

I wish we could charge so called "Schools of Dance" (SOD) a fee for stress placed on Technicians... The "schools" I'm talking about are not classical ballet studios or cultural institutions, they are the ones named "Little Miss La'Petite's School of Dance" or "Miss Brenda's Tiny Dancers" or some other moronic name. They do far more harm for the arts than good . Now I'm sure some where out there exists a SOD that is great and treats venues with utmost respect, I've yet to hear of it. Most, not all of their staff members are blithering bimbos (hahah) who can barely pump gas much less put together a cd. My sympathies friend. I know what its like to be in your shoes.

Speaking of SODs...

At my high school over the summer, there was a recital that they did in our auditorium. We had spots in our coves and they decided to take one and move it to the booth. The only way to get it down is to carry it down the ladder or use the genie (which is what I do). First off, they could have broken it (they broke some sound equipment) and the door to the cove was locked so they were probably climbing in through the opening to get in there. Also, they completely trashed the place in other areas. The choir room which they used as their changing room they left in a complete shambles and there was crap everywhere! From what I understand, they were told that they weren't welcome next year.

Is that something typical of them?

Pretty typical. A couple of different dance groups use my facility, and while they DO cleanup the dressing rooms and backtstage areas very well, they often trash the "green rooms" like, the Choir Room and the Band room.

Usually the CD's are out of sequence, "this song needs to fade when the dancers all do this thing", etc. I'll usually take an extra hour or two to put the songs together myself. I figure its saving my sanity.

Dance school season at a venue I worked at consisted, one year, of 21 dance schools in 12 weeks. Some were great, some were awful, most were somewhere in between. My favourite was the ballet school who were actually resident in our building - super-organised, booked the venue for long enough to pack in properly (and get the dance floor laid WELL), have a plotting session, a technical rehearsal and a full dress rehearsal before opening night, and always had all their music on minidisc in the right order with all the fades and everything pre-done. The dressing rooms were always left in an immaculate state and they had parents who turned up to help when they said they would, listened to instructions from the crew and would ask questions if they didn't understand. Consequently their shows were fantastic! They were closely followed by the school who had a lot of projection as part of their show, but had burnt the whole thing down to one DVD with all the music and images on it, a black screen where there was no image to be projected, and all the music edited so it was at the same level - so all we had to do was push PLAY on the DVD player at the top of the show and the sound and AV ran themselves.

Contrast this with the group who had one day booked, to rehearse in the morning, 2:30pm show and then 7:30pm show and wanted the dance floor (they did get charged for the time we spent laying it the previous night after the last show had gone). They turned up with a mixture of cassettes and very scratched CDs (fortunately we had a 10 year old domestic Sony CD player which would play anything!), not enough chaperones for the number of kids (we ended up calling some of our theatre chaperones and charging them for it) and a show that ran 4 1/4 hours. When the 2:30pm show came down at 6:45, we told them that it was too long, and that they'd have to shorten the evening show as they legally weren't allowed to have the kids on stage that late at night. The dance teacher was furious with us, but had to back down when we showed her the hard copy of the relevant law which we kept for purposes just like this one, and was forced to take out all the dances that she and the other teachers were doing to show off how wonderful they were. They left the theatre in an absolute state - the kids, having had almost no time between shows, had been eating in the dressing rooms - and broke a whole pile of furniture which they hadn't asked if they could use anyway. After the bill they got from us, they didn't return the next year....

Contrast this with the group who had one day booked, to rehearse in the morning, 2:30pm show and then 7:30pm show and wanted the dance floor (they did get charged for the time we spent laying it the previous night after the last show had gone). They turned up with a mixture of cassettes and very scratched CDs (fortunately we had a 10 year old domestic Sony CD player which would play anything!), not enough chaperones for the number of kids (we ended up calling some of our theatre chaperones and charging them for it) and a show that ran 4 1/4 hours. When the 2:30pm show came down at 6:45, we told them that it was too long, and that they'd have to shorten the evening show as they legally weren't allowed to have the kids on stage that late at night. The dance teacher was furious with us, but had to back down when we showed her the hard copy of the relevant law which we kept for purposes just like this one, and was forced to take out all the dances that she and the other teachers were doing to show off how wonderful they were. They left the theatre in an absolute state - the kids, having had almost no time between shows, had been eating in the dressing rooms - and broke a whole pile of furniture which they hadn't asked if they could use anyway. After the bill they got from us, they didn't return the next year....

Horrible! I don't understand how some of these dance schools stay in business when the people in charge are obviously morons. I've had my share of bad events, but nothing quite like that.

I wish we could charge so called "Schools of Dance" (SOD) a fee for stress placed on Technicians...
I would second that!

As a suggestion, just let them run the CD player themselves, while you handle volume and other factors. I've started doing this - they usually know their songs better, and when they screw up they realize it...I find I have much less of a headache at the end of the evening.

I have to say that I made a lot of money in college stage managing and doing lighting and stage designs for high school dance teams/cheerleaders/pom squads. For the most part they were great to work with, I just had to take the reigns let them know what I wanted/needed ahead of time. I think sometimes they get a bum rap because we don't communicate ahead of time exactly what we need, and get it in advance! If I didn't have all the CDs in my hands a week before the recital, no show! We went over songs, order, how many dancers, etc at least two weeks out.

Mike

[I am apologizing in advance about the length of this post.] I’d like to try to explain why I think things seem to turn out badly with dance schools. This is not meant to defend the inconsiderate actions of some dance schools. This is general; like anything else, there are excellent organizations. (This is from my perspective as a parent-volunteer stage manager for a dance studio. I’ve been doing this for 6 to 8 years. Our recitals usually are bigger productions than other schools. I’ve learned things by book and the hard way, but I corrected a lot of poor practices that preceded my tenure. The studio also has a couple other on-the-ball parents.)

A dance studio owner is a small business owner, and she does things her way. In running a recital, she is choreographer and director, master and commander. Some owners are more head-strong than others.

Because the studio owners were performers, the details of technical theatre were (probably) secondary during their performance careers. They danced and things happened. (Okay, that’s over-simplified, and no doubt many were aware of the individuals involved on the technical side, but they may not have known or cared about the how or why of technical details.) So, now, when they put on a recital, they expect the same results.

An early discussion between the venue technical staff and the owner (or their rep) about their needs and expectations is absolutely necessary. I’ve seen many cases (in schools) where there is a communication gap primarily because the venue personnel in charge of booking the venue are not the technical staff of the venue.

All dance schools will have different organizations. For putting on the annual recital, the studio owner may be trying to do it all, in which case first and foremost are the dance aspects. Other technical details may or may not have been thought out. And on the day of the rehearsal and show, her attention is on the dance and may be nearly unapproachable. Now, she may have delegated some technical responsibilities to one or more employee or more likely, a parent volunteer. This volunteer may be obligated to volunteer as part of the dance school requirements. This volunteer may know what they are doing or they may not. Maybe 1 in 20 volunteers [probably closer to 1 in 50] has technical theatre experience, but that was probably 10 to 20 years ago. This task (and it’s something close to stage manager) may be so arduous and/or demanding that the individual changes from year to year, and there is little continuity and anything that is learned is lost.

I think the havoc that can be created backstage (that is, offstage and in dressing rooms) is a function of how much responsibility is given to the children. There appear to be two approaches to this. In one case, each child’s parents are responsible for getting the child ready between numbers, so you have a high ratio of adults to children, but everyone is looking out for themselves, and in essence, no one is in charge of backstage/dressing rooms. In the other case, the children are responsible for themselves, they arrive with makeup on and the parents are in the audience (or maybe doing other duties). The dressing rooms are controlled/supervised by one or two adults per room, the children help each other and the kids know what numbers they are in and when they go on. Besides, at a certain age (5th or 6th grade), the children are old enough and know the procedures. The few adults help as needed (hair pieces and the like). And there is only one person to answer to in each room and the responsibility of that room is on that person. I think children in general are better behaved than we give them credit for, and (more importantly), I think a single adult in authority (in the dressing rooms, for example) is more effective than the parents. Kids know what they can get away with with Mom and Dad, but not with Mrs. Dressingroomfascist.

Another level of problems arise during dress rehearsals if other siblings are present with parents in the audience. Occasionally, these kids are not well supervised, or quietly make a mess of the area that they are sitting in. Poorly supervised non-performing siblings have been our biggest problem.

Prior to the start of the rehearsal, we read the riot act to the kids and parents. This is list of Dos and Don’ts (and a lot of Don’ts).

We’ve used a number of venues over the years. In most cases, someone from the venue is there at all times, if for no other than to run the lights and sound. But there were two cases where there were no venue staff present, though were available by phone. Still, we keep an eye on our people (we know who needs the most attention), we don’t move things that aren’t supposed to be moved, and we clean up after ourselves. Our goal is to leave nothing for the custodians to do. When we are done, I make a final walk through of the place and I’m the last one out.

As mentioned in another post, when a dance school has booked the facility, try to talk to the studio owner (or their technical representative, if they have one) ahead of time. Maybe they know what they need or want. At least by talking to someone you will get an idea about things will probably go. Let them know what you expect. Nowadays, the music is burned onto one or two CDs, which simplifies things. But in the old days, we had someone at the sound desk handing off the cassettes/CDs to the sound technician.

I take the attitude that it’s a live performance and something will go wrong. With only one dress rehearsal, I am still amazed at how smoothly our shows go. In the end, it comes down to organization and communication.

[We “live off the land”, so to speak. The focus is on the dance, and to a certain extent, we just need the stage lit well and music playing when we need it. Anything else is gravy. There is limited time for rehearsal at the venue, and (regarding lighting) we often do not know what is available or readily available. We try to give the venue’s light technician the best information we can, but pretty much tell them it’s lights up or lights down, but if they have any ideas, we are all for it.]

Joe

Joe, your dance school sounds like one of the ones we welcomed back to our venue! We had an information pack (put together by the technical manager) that we used to send out to dance schools as they booked the venue. It was pretty comprehensive and explained what we provided, and also what we needed from them, and mostly the schools used these guidelines and we had no issues. It was just the odd one who chose to ignore the information we'd given them (see my earlier post!) that caused us problems. We didn't object to a lack of ideas about lighting - we had a comprehensive house rig which covered almost everything, but if the school wanted anything specific, and told us more than two minutes before starting the rehearsal, then we'd bend over backwards to make it happen for them. I have a distinct memory of spending quite some time up the tallescope focusing a seven-unit rainbow gobo on the cyc for a dance school! One thing that always amused me, though, was the way so many people would say to us "can you snap the lights to blue/green/red/whatever just before the end?" We got good at gently pointing out that we didn't know where the end was.....

Essentially, if schools were reasonable in their expectations, we'd go out of our way to help them; we had a school come through with some hired backdrops, and one of them was just awful - badly painted, too short for the venue and the paint was coming off it and spreading itself liberally across the stage. The teacher was a bit upset, because the cloth had been planned to be the backdrop to quite a large section of the show. We had an extensive collection of backcloths, and plenty of time up our sleeve, and so one of the other techs and I flicked through our cloth book, found something similar, and went climbing through the cloth store (which was a nasty job - very low ceiling so you hit your head and scraped your back), found what we were looking for, dragged it out and hung it up for her.

As an LD I really have a love-hate relationship with dance schools. As an artistic type, I really like to design and execute the lighting for dance shows because when you do it right it really looks great, but at the same time, I have had so many bad experiences with unprepared dance companies. We actually have two in our area and they fall on opposite ends of the spectrum. They are both clueless about tech things, but one of them is run by a woman who basically comes in and asks us to help her design the show and the other by people who view us as high school students and end up standing over our shoulders to "make sure we stay on track" (like they have any idea what is going on).

I agree with Kiwi in the last post. When schools are reasonable in what they expect from a high school theatre they are fine to work with. We always look forward to when the first company comes in for their recital and try to avoid the other like the plague. So the moral of the story is...if the techies like you, your show will go off much more easily than if you try to boss them around.

Also, Westlake, amen to dance gigs being the best way to make money in the theatre :)

That's because everyone knows how to do two jobs:

Theirs, and sound.

I think it's closer to these two jobs:

Theirs, and yours (no matter what it is).

As for using mp3 players, I don't mind it as long as it's charged. I was working a bruncheon that the chancelor was attending and they group hosting it had handed me an ipod for background music. They had the songs they wanted in a playlist, all the tracks were the same level, and everything was working fine...until the ipod died.

Aparently they hadn't bothered to charce the ipod for the event, or had it charged but managed to wear it down through personal use before it got to me. So anyway, there I am, a half hour into a four hour event and I have no sound. I found the guy that gave me the ipod and ask if he has any kind of backup. No such luck, but he does have a chager. It was one of those cheap little wall-worts, and I don't know what kind of luck any of you have had with those chargers, but the second I pluged in the ipod there was a terrible hum in the speakers. I swear it was at least half as loud as the music.

Now maybe none of the patrons would have noticed, but I wasn't about to have that hum in our system with the chancelor sitting in the room, I'd rather have no music at all. I unpluged the ipod & charger and handed it all back to the guy I got it from and pulled out the only CD I had with me. I think it happened to be Pirates of the Carribbean, so I put it in and just kept the volume low. Afterwards, I had people from the bruncheon complement me on the music I'd had. A couple of them even said it sounded familier but they couldn't remember from where.

This same sort of thing happened to me last semester during the performance of Our Town for the whole school. I was running the control booth on my own. Not hard, only 50 something light cues, some cd cues, would've had to do wireless mics too, but they were not working which should've been an omen. We used floor mics to compensate, and the controls for them were up in front of the stage. We have a fan that is programmed to come on at certain times during the day. I was told it had been adjusted to not come on during this performance. So, what happened?? It comes on 30 seconds into the performance. No one knows how to turn it off, so I am forced to sit in the sound booth contemplating suicide as english teacher after administrator after english teacher runs in to ask what I can do about the quiet mics. It didn't help that some of the coachs were already asleep in the audience (they're not theatre people). Seriously, one of them woke up at the end of the first Act, stood up, and started clapping... That was not a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back