It was 20 years ago today...... and nothing to do with Sgt Pepper's band.

TimMc

Premium Member
.... that Great White started a conflagration at The Station Nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island with unlicensed pyro that set the stage area alight. Toxic fumes and smoke overtook many of the 300+ in attendance.

Ultimately 100 people died while hoping to have a good time, and over 200 more were injured; all had their lives forever changed.

I still feel the rage, anger, disappointment, and sadness I felt 20 years ago when I first heard about the fire. I hope those memories never fade and continue to motivate my promotion of safety in our industry.

Nobody should die trying to have a good time: not the audience, not the performers, not the crews, not the venue staff, not first responders... No family, colleagues or friends should have to gather to mourn losses that could have been easily prevented.

So my challenge to all our Boothers: pony up the $40 and join the Event Safety Alliance. Get your copy of the Event Safety Guide. Sign up for a seminar or class, or several.

It's up to us to be on the front line of event safety, to refuse to work in unsafe places or situations, to hold sketchy promoters and venues to account, and to remember that the ultimate goal is for everyone to get home with all their body parts intact, to hold their loved ones and to celebrate another safe and successful day at the office.

Theatre has had many safety failures over the decades, and most of them related to fires. Regulations and best practices are written in the blood of victims with the the goal have having fewer victims. It's on us to enable less death and fewer injuries by exercising our knowledge, experience, and kinship to create safer work and performance environments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back