It's about cyc gels

skippy

Hey, so I have Altman Sky-Cyc Cyclorama lights http://www.altmanltg.com/cycloramas-sky-cyc.htm . I use gels obviously, but they also use these mesh type screens that sit in front of the gel. Basically what I'm saying is that when the gels burn out they melt onto these mesh screens. That can get annoying cause then I waste a good half hour or more picking the melted gel off of the screen. Is there a way to prevent the melting of the gels onto the screen, or is there a easier way to clean off the melted gel other then poking at with a needle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, so I have Altman Sky-Cyc Cyclorama lights http://www.altmanltg.com/cycloramas-sky-cyc.htm . I use gels obviously, but they also use these mesh type screens that sit in front of the gel. Basically what I'm saying is that when the gels burn out they melt onto these mesh screens. That can get annoying cause then I waste a good half hour or more picking the melted gel off of the screen. Is there a way to prevent the melting of the gels onto the screen, or is there a easier way to clean off the melted gel other then poking at with a needle?

I have NEVER had this problem. Are you using the proper wattage lamps?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The purpose of the mesh is to prevent any loose debris from a violent lamp blow out (same as on PAR 64's) and I could be wrong, but IIUC it should be between the color and the unit, color on the outside.

Its about cyc gels

I've had the same problem. The gel is on top of the mesh frame for ground cycs. This prevents the gel from heating up, warping, and falling onto the lamp. It also prevents and issues with the lamp exploding, etc. It always seems as if the gel heats up and melts to the mesh. I haven't found a solution yet other then scrape what I can, and use the same frames for the same colors.

I've just gotten some heat shielding in the mail and i'll put that in to see if it helps, I don't know what the wattage is or were it is suppost to be I've never changed out the lamps due to them outlasting me in the time Ive been going to school here. The gels are not lasting very long, the last one I changed out was Thursday and they were melted by Tuesday and i can understand why the wire screen is there now, I'll put the screen in between the gel and the lamp

Are you using cyc silk? It usually lasts longer for me. I usually only change gel once or twice a year, granted they get used maybe 50-100 hours over that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back