I've seen some custom things on eBaY...

So, the guy took lights by makers such as Kliegl, Century and Altman, rebuilt them and repainted them mole mauve.

So, the guy took lights by makers such as Kliegl, Century and Altman, rebuilt them and repainted them mole mauve.

Interesting.

(Since you know your stuff, much more so than me, I'll refer my question to you: Who manufactured the ERS? What is the model, etc?)

(That's as close as I could muster to a compliment, enjoy. :lol: )

It says right in the add?
"One (1) Kliegl Bros. Elipsoidal with a new 300watt globeThese are very hard to find we purchased every one available that we could find on the west coast.
These fixtures are like a mini version of the Mole Richardson Molelipso at 1/3 the weight with out sacrificing the build quality. These can be lamped from 200-400 watt."

And i find this intresting

"One (1) Professional 16"Scoop with Gel Frame...My Fiancee has added a customization to the gel frame holder.The CUSTOM gel frame holder is removable in a matter of minutes, and just as easily replaced."

I have put gell on scoops and it has never taken more then seconds. This gentlemans addition makes it take Minutes!!!!

JH

I have put gell on scoops and it has never taken more then seconds. This gentlemans addition makes it take Minutes!!!!
JH

I believe he is talking about the gel frame holder, not the gel frame... even then i still don't think it would take minutes...

It says right in the add?
"One (1) Kliegl Bros. Elipsoidal with a new 300watt globeThese are very hard to find we purchased every one available that we could find on the west coast.
These fixtures are like a mini version of the Mole Richardson Molelipso at 1/3 the weight with out sacrificing the build quality. These can be lamped from 200-400 watt."
And i find this intresting
"One (1) Professional 16"Scoop with Gel Frame...My Fiancee has added a customization to the gel frame holder.The CUSTOM gel frame holder is removable in a matter of minutes, and just as easily replaced."
JH

Hmm... Interesting...

Last edited:
Right, this is true, but John's point is that with scoop lights, specifically in film which is sort of their main use, (I hardly ever see them in theater--closest thing we have is a cyc light) gel is cut slightly oversized for the instrument and then attached to the face of the unit using clothespins rather than slipping it into a frame. This facilitates easier/faster changes to the coloring of the instrument as film tends to dictate.

And yes, I find these very cool as well--someone trying to retrofit their old gear to look like Mole's instruments.

I have used scoops in film and TV that have a gel frame on the front end. It is a giant circle with mesh in the middle with pins that hold it in place. The pins are spring loaded. you just pull the pins and place it over the light, release the pins. It is done in seconds.

Its good times.

Film / TV = more like a family who hires each other

Theatre = who is the bigger A&*Hole, who can be more bitter ... subsequently they become the designer.

JH

Apparently I need to start working in film...

It's great work if you can get it. It's a blast. The hours are long, th money is good. First Unit work on a Major, is rare, but God the money is good. Heck, even Rigging electrics is a blast. Hardest part for me was learning all new names, Film has a language all to it's own, Maybe we should throw some of these in the Wikki;
Lunchbox
Spiderbox
stinger
home run
Inkies
Babys
babysofts
softs
Craft Services
:mrgreen:

Ill add a few to the list.

Trombone
Deef Box
Taco Cart
Snoot Tape
Joy Cable
Honey Wagon
Dog House
Flags
Scrims
SkyPans
Apple Box (a wood box about 2' long)
Quad Split
Gaffer
Grip

MOS (Mit Out Sound) recording with out sound.

Camera Man to Floor Adapter (CMFA) a aple box for the camera operator to sit on

Focus Stick Thingy (a long stick for bashing the barn doors or a stick with a hook for adjust pan,tilt on special fixtures from the ground, also can be used to strike birds when they get stuck in the studio.)

Laser Pointer (Also good to scare birds out the roll up door. It didnt work by the way.)

Thats all i can think of for now.
JH

If you want to have the dubious honor of owning one of the worst ellipsoidals in history, go right for the Kliegl unit in question.

Sorry, but mauve paint won't help.

ST

Perhaps a "Film Specific Terms" wiki would be a great idea. I have no idea what any of that meant, and should one day I work in film, I'd rather not have everyone think I'm making up my own terms, when using theatre terms. Perhaps also useful, terms that are the same between theatre and film. They need no definition, just that they mean the same thing.

Well the bidding started at $99 and ended 3 days later with 7 bidders making 13 bids to end at $305. Not a bad profit for 4 junk fixtures and some poorly color-matched Mole-Richardson red paint. Ebay's slogan should be "Some people will buy anything!"

I'm very happy with my generic, made in China, LED PAR64.

While it might be a fresh coat of paint (possibly not even Mole Mauve), I believe all are Mole fixtures. Don't have the catalog at home but Mole at one time if not even now made I believe a 3.1/2" Leko. Definately not an Altman otherwise at least a Kliegl at best in shape. Good price for the Studio Fresnels, overall worth the prices I believe and the gear listed. Ever price out similar gear new? On the other fixtures, most likely Mole, if not Arri as listed. This other than the 6" Fresnel which is either a Altman 65 (non 65Q) or Century unit with a really bad paint job. That's probably not such a good deal.

Scoop could be Century also or perhaps Kliegl - I forget but that lamp cap looks familiar. Still if I get it right, for that price for the package, it's cheap - this given the crappy paint job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back