Jands Hog 250-1000

Hughesie

hello, i need to find out something

we hired a jands hog 250 (yes people in australia still hire them,)
and we did all our programming and then it died (you can no longer hire them in australia anywhere except for where we got ours from :) )
and we are getting a jands 1000 from a very embarrssed hire company that tag and tested the 250 the day before it was sent out
so if we put the disk with all the show data on it into the 1000, will it work

Last edited:
You should be good to go, I know they will move the the 650, and because they are all running the same OS, you should be fine.

ok i will tell you in about an hour or so when it arrives

let's just say that *company witheld* won't be dealing with us again
we should have known something was wrong when we opened the roadcase and it smelt like cigarttes

we should have known something was wrong when we opened the roadcase and it smelt like cigarttes

Ya.. you will have that sometimes.... the best is when there is clearly beer spilled on it. You get that less with lighting gear, but I have got a ton of audio gear in that has had who knows what spilled on it.

I almost forgot you guys are halfway around the world. "It arrives in an hour?! Wow, your rental company delivers gear at 12:30AM!"

yeah it worked we loaded the disk up and it worked perfectly, im a sound person but after working with it for a while i knew it was great desk, but complete overkill

UPDATE: the whole production went really well and the desk was able to keep up with our needs perfectly

our LD found some strange things on it like being able to get the Lat and Longtude of your location and when the sun will rise and set

strange useless features

UPDATE: the whole production went really well and the desk was able to keep up with our needs perfectly
our LD found some strange things on it like being able to get the Lat and Longtude of your location and when the sun will rise and set
strange useless features

Now if it had a GPS in it and could tell you the blue light hour (when they stop selling liquor) in the city you are in that would be incredibly usefull for anyone on the road. I have many people ask me at 6 am when they hit to door "What time do ya'll stop selling beer round here". Then again, I have asked the same myself. Knowing what time the sun will go down is usefull if your programming a festival somewhere.

Yesterday, I was hired to work as a stagehand for a corporate show for a company that I have not worked with before for a show tomorrow. No problem, not my first rodeo. Then, when I went in today to get some info about the show, they asked me to program and be the board op (as they have seen me program other shows before). Again, no problem. They are using an Express 250, and I am familiar with it. Then, this afternoon I find out that the Express 250 just went out on a last minute job and I will be getting a RoadHog. I have never used a Hog, so I went and picked it up today and am sitting here tonight learning to program it. I was told that I can use the Hog, or my board - the SmartFade ML.

It is funny, I can use one of the best boards on the market, or the cheapest.

not being a lighting person i can only give you limited infomation but what i can say is that the hog is a moving light desk, im not sure about the smartfade

i would say go with what if comfortable, it's good to learn a new desk but when the stuff hits the fan and you need to be fast, yes the desk you know

Well, they are both moving light desks. Normally I would go with the desk I know, but I think it is just as important to go with the tool that will best get the job done. The SmartFade ML is a great little board. I would use it for just about any small show. More importantly, what will the programming entail. Will I have to have 12 cues running at once.......who knows? If so, I will need the Hog.

Really, I am just venting. Well, procrastinating a little bit as well.

read up on the hog then the software on all of them is basicly the same so learning it may help you on future jobs

once more
it's only opinion as i am a sound tech not lighting

strange useless features

Ah but not useless in it's day - when I used an Echelon/Hog1000 to program a show for a Hog Unit (Wholehog2 Rack Mount) back in the day, I used it for timed sequences, as well on a Hog1000 for a time of day show that related to Sunset and Sunrise :)

Yea, you never know when your going to use those odd features. For rehearsals before tech, I would set time code events so no one would have to play with the board. It would turn on and off the lights with 30 minutes of safe time. Makes it nice so you don't have to show up to every little thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back