Control/Dimming Jands Hog 250 + LED Moving lights

Hi guys, names Vred, new here (clearly). Little bout myself, I'm 22, live in Melbourne Aus and currently run my own little lighting company for local bands/festivals/gigs, I'm generally hired out to work the desk / design the show / program the show / put up-pack down the rig, you name it. It's been pretty simple, straight forward work, until now.

This weekend I am incharge of one of my cities biggest festivals, we are hiring in a bunch of movers and a Hog 250 to go along with it, I know my way around a desk and how to program most anything, but I am alittle lost when it comes to programming movers.

Only four bands will be using the movers (typical headliner stuff), and each band must look a little different (I already know WHAT I want to do for each band). The thing that stuffs me is HOW to program these lights.

The lights I'm using are LED Movers (8 in total), don't ask me what brand because I don't have it on the hire sheet infront of me, but I do know they use a standard arc lamp and are pretty much equivalent to a SHARK250. The desk, as I said before, is a JANDAS Hog 250.

I have roughly 40 hours to LEARN how to use this desk and then program the show, I have all of Friday and after setup on Saturday to do my programming, NOT alot of time, but I'm hoping you guys here can give me ANY pointers, tips, or guides to read on how to easily program a half decent moving light show.

I COULD also get a dmx/usb WIDGET if you guys think that programming them via PC would be easier, I am open to ideas!

Thank you very much
~Vred

I can't speak for the Hog family, but I have learned consoles overnight before a gig before. Download the manual first and foremost. Make sure you have all of your personality files downloaded and on disk. Sit down with the console and manual (and hopefully a light) and start patching, programming, and playing back. That's really the only way to learn so set aside that Friday, grab some coffee (or whatever keeps you going) and start pushing buttons!

Since this board is a little older you will definitely make sure you have personalities for the LEDs, it's highly unlikely they are there unless they were added later.

...The lights I'm using are LED Movers (8 in total), don't ask me what brand because I don't have it on the hire sheet infront of me, but I do know they use a standard arc lamp and are pretty much equivalent to a SHARK250. The desk, as I said before, is a JANDAS Hog 250. ...
"LED movers" and "standard arc lamp" are contradictory.

You're going to need the exact make and model of the movers in question so you can obtain a Jandshog library file for the fixture. I don't know if Hog 500/1000 personality files will work with a Jandshog250 or not (I suspect they do), but you can try searching at the HES Forum, or on Jands site. If you have to build your own, and the library files are compatible, use this library creator: Index of / .

...and are pretty much equivalent to a SHARK250. ...
"Pretty much equivalent" doesn't cut it, unless all DMX channels and functions are identical. The console needs to know what the light can do, and how it wants to be talked to, in order to control it properly.

As for programming, from the manual:
The Position bank is used to store preset focus information for fixtures so that
commonly used positions can be accessed by pressing one button. The Colour bank is
used to store preset colour information for fixtures so that commonly used colours can
be accessed by pressing one button. The Beam bank is used to store preset Beam
information for fixtures so that commonly used beams can be accessed by pressing one
button.
Basically you select a light, point it where you want it, and record a Position. Record all the lights on that position.
Similarly, record Color palettes.
If your lights have gobos, record beam palettes.
Once you have all the needed palettes built, select the lights, recall the desired Position palette, Color palette, and Beam palette. Then record the cue. Repeat as necessary.

I have a feeling if a company is providing you with both the lights AND the console, it better well already have the profile for the lights on it. I'm willing to bet the company you are renting the lights from would be able to give you a quick run through of how to work the desk in their shop.

The personalities are already in the desk, so I don't have that to worry about.

And sorry for my nativity derekleffew, I am still very new to the world of movers, I was just going off on what my hire-company told me.

But thank you all for the advice and help so far =).

If the personalities are already in the console, it's a very easy desk to learn. The rental company, as Pie mentioned, should be able to give you a quick rundown of the desk before you leave the shop with your gear (in fact, we rental people often enjoy having to do that as it takes us away from testing testing testing testing gear). As long as you take a quick look over the manual before going in there and understand standard lighting console terms (channel, group, focus, color, beam, palette, cue, the various kinds of cue timings, HTP, LTP, etc) you should be good to go after the shop gives you the rundown of the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back