Jands Stage CL

macsound

Any updates to any Jands stuff since they've been acquired?

Actual topic, I've used the stage cl before on small events and it was fine although I was always afraid of running out of channels. My understanding is the ETC colorsource 20/40 the same where you're hard limited at "devices" vs dmx channels?

Looking at recommending a stage cl for a small kids theatre that has 12 dimmer and 6 LEDs but worried because that means they can only add 6 more (independantly controlled) lights becfore they've hit the limit.
Making this choice based on price, ease of setup, easy busking and easy submaster creation and editing, but another big thing is the size. The colorsource 40 is like 8" wider, and they have a super limited booth size.
Ideas?

Is the Stage CL actually going to get new updates? I could have sworn it used to be listed as discontinued by Jands...

Currently on the Jands website, the newest non-beta update is from 2014, and the Beta software update is from March 2019 - Will we get a new non-beta release at some point? @PaulP514

Definitely my favorite small-format console, so great news if this is in fact the case.

Hello,

The Stage CL continue to be maintained by Chroma-Q, there is no current plan to discontinue it.

This isnt quite correct. Chroma-Q acquired the Vista line of control, not the Stage CL product, which is still manufactured by Jands.

The Stage CL is a good console but the lack of feature updates have made it a little stagnant. The ColorSource from ETC would prove more flexable and expandable for your situation and is not too much more in price.

Actually the StageCL was part of the asset we Chroma-Q aquired from Jands and we are still manufacturing it. The Jands names remains on it for logistic. The software and fixtures library is still maintained but no major features additions are currently planned. I hope that answer your questions.

To go back to the original question. The StageCL can control 24 fixtures so they would still have room to add more later. I think in that situation the StageCL would be perfect. It is simple and does what it does quite well. If you have no desire to add moving lights then I would higher recommend it.

And the ETC Colorsource operates exactly the same right?
I've never used it, but my understanding is that moving lights are a no-go but has the same simple color and intensity adjustment per fixture as the StageCL.

I thought the ColorSource console handled movers very easily, especially for those that had never done it any other way. And a model can do 48.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back